• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

A Better trade...

Diesel

Delk is basically untradeable right now. He makes too much money for what he does at this point in his career. We are stuck with him until the trading deadline at the earliest (when teams may be willing to trade a younger player with a long term contract in exchange for Delk's expiring contract) which isn't all that bad considering we need as much perimeter shooting as we can get. Remember, Salim is still a rookie, so there's no guarantee he is going to shoot a high percentage in his first year in the NBA. That being said I do believe Salim will be a great shooter from day one, but you just can't bank on any rookie being real good based on his college stats (see Childress before the All-Star break). If Salim struggles with his shot early on then it would be great to have Delk around to add some more perimeter shooting off the bench.

• Premium Member

I don't believe that for a second.

Delk maybe makes more than he's worth, but he's not untradable. Especially by teams who want cap room in the summer and have the need for a guy who you can put on the floor and can hit the open shot!

I think LAL would like Delk.

Quote:

I don't believe that for a second.

Delk maybe makes more than he's worth, but he's not untradable. Especially by teams who want cap room in the summer and have the need for a guy who you can put on the floor and can hit the open shot!

I think LAL would like Delk.

LAL is not going to trade Mihm for Delk. It doesn't make basketball sense from their point of view. GM's know you almost never trade big for small and young for old (see Chris Webber for Mitch Richmond). Also, why would LAL trade a starter-quality, young big man for an old, undersized two guard? By the way, LAL just saved almost $30 million in luxury tax payments by dumping Grant so I don't think they would do that trade just to get out of Mihm's contract, especially when he is a servicable center. I know Jackson doesn't want to leave his 4/5 slot in the hands of Kwame Brown and Andrew Bynum only next year!

Like I said, Delk becomes more valuable to a team looking to dump salary at the trading deadline, not right now. I would be highly surprised if we were able to trade Delk before the season starts. I'd rather keep him anyway until the trading deadline comes and Salim has proven that he can provide reliable perimeter shooting off the bench.

• Premium Member

Let's take this piece by piece...

Quote:

LAL is not going to trade Mihm for Delk. It doesn't make basketball sense from their point of view. GM's know you almost never trade big for small and young for old (see Chris Webber for Mitch Richmond). Also, why would LAL trade a starter-quality, young big man for an old, undersized two guard?

1. It's the triangle. The triangle that Phil runs makes Kobe more the PG than any PG they ever had. When have you ever seen Phil need a guy who can actually run the PG position, running the PG. Let's take the history lesson..

Armstrong, Paxson, Kerr, Harper, Fisher, Payton... the thing that these guys have in common is that all of them were good shooters OR big OGs. I hear you saying what about Payton, he was a PG. He was a Big PG AND he suffered trying to learn the triangle. The reason Payton suffered is because the trangle forces the PG to be a SG in essence. Therefore, the Triangle is made for a guy like Delk. Last year, Delk scored 12 points for us in less than 24 mpg and he hit more than 35% of his shoots from three. While it's not overwhelming, when you consider that he's the mirror image of Derek Fisher, I think Phil would want this guy...

2. Mihm is a seviceable big man. Again in the triangle, Phil doesn't neccessarily need a lot when it comes to big men, but he does have Kwame and Bynum. I found it interesting that recently an article about the Lakers big men that I read said that the Lakers are bringing in Kareem to work with the Lakers big men: Namely Bynum and Brown... but it said nothing about Mihm nor have Mihm been mentioned as part of their future. It's just speculation, But I think he's tradable. Especially in a case where they can get rid of salary before next year.

Quote:

By the way, LAL just saved almost $30 million in luxury tax payments by dumping Grant so I don't think they would do that trade just to get out of Mihm's contract

With Grant Gone, the Lakers cap still sits at 63 million. So they are still going to pay about 2 million in luxury taxes. Moreover, next year, it's set to be higher. How they would like to move more of thier salary...

Quote:

I know Jackson doesn't want to leave his 4/5 slot in the hands of Kwame Brown and Andrew Bynum only next year!

First off, this is to suggest that Mihm is some kind of godsend? Nope. Moreover, the whole Laker organization is HIGH on Bynum. I don't see it but they have high hopes of Bynum being their future. As far as the 4 spot is concerned... ODOM. They have Odom, Cook, and Luke I am your father Walton. It's unfortunate that the Turiaf thing won't work out.

Quote:

Like I said, Delk becomes more valuable to a team looking to dump salary at the trading deadline, not right now.

And Like I suggested... Just because Delk becomes more valuable doesn't mean that he lacks value now. Those teams that want him because of his ending contract status... knows that his contract will be ending and they want him now just as much as they would want him then. The only teams that will join the ruckus are those teams who have given up on the season and wants to do a cash dump. However, there are many teams with Players who contracts they are unhappy with and if they could do the cash dump now, they would rather do it than risk us sending him to somebody else.. For instance.. BK could call GS tonight and say Delk for Foyle or Delk for Fisher and GS would be all over it!

Quote:

Tony Delk for Chris Mihm...

You know Phil likes those OGs...

They can play Bynum/Kwame in LAL..

This is one I would do. BK might do it but I don't think the Lakers would, not just yet. Mihm is serviceable for them until Kwame and or Bynum come through.

The Lakers almost made the playoffs last year. I don't beleive they are quite ready to mess up a chance to get there again by handing over the center position to either Kwame or Bynum just yet.

Maybe they would do it before the deadline if at least one of them are playing well enough.

Diesel if correct in terms of the triangle and its affect on the position of pg. that's what is was designed to do in many ways.

I feel like I have been saying that a lot lately. people please start arguing with the man.

and please, don't feed the animals.

Delk has a 1 year contract. The lakers are not in win now mode so it makes no sense to get delk for 1 year as opposed to keeping a good young prospect in Mihm. If they really think Delk can help them for their future chammpionship run (lol), they could sign him for cheap next offseason.

This trade makes no sense at all

• Premium Member

Anytime, the Lakers suit up, they are in a win now mode. They paid Phil a lot of money for what 3 yrs. The Lakers are not finished dealing just yet but they already have some pretty good pieces... Odom, Kobe, Brown, George...

They will also make an acquisition and trade some of their ending contracts before it's over....

But the media market is too Large for the Lakers to take time off. They have to be a contender....

Quote:

Anytime, the Lakers suit up, they are in a win now mode. They paid Phil a lot of money for what 3 yrs. The Lakers are not finished dealing just yet but they already have some pretty good pieces... Odom, Kobe, Brown, George...

They will also make an acquisition and trade some of their ending contracts before it's over....

But the media market is too Large for the Lakers to take time off. They have to be a contender....

For the most part this is good analysis, however the application of this analysis is terrible. Delk is an over the hill streak shooter. If he was a pure shooter like Dale Ellis or Dell Curry, this would be a fathomable trade.

Delk is slow, short, overpaid, and inconsistent. He's not going to add much of anything to the Lakers. He's good to have on the Hawks because he's a veteran presence. That being said, he would not have been retained if his contract had a team option instead of a player option.

• Premium Member

I tend to agree with Mr. H's reason moreso than yours... YOu say that they had these guys last year. They also barely missed the playoffs and had Massive Injuries..

Kobe missed about 20.

Odom missed about 20.

George missed all but 15 games...

Vlad missed the whole season.

So your whole argument is Poop...

Also your assertion that the Lakers are not in win mode is POOP too.

Phil has NEVER built a team. Phil goes to ready made teams. That's why he wins. This case is no different. By the end of the day, before the season start, the Lakers will have a different Roster...

Phil Jackson even said it himself. Also, they barely missed the playoffs, and I'm saying they'll barely make them. So what's your point. Why don't you tell us what the 8 playoff seeds will be in the West next year? And you better have the Lakers up high seeing as they are trading a young prospect for an old shooter because clearly he's the missing piece in their title run this year

• Premium Member

Again... Look over Phil Jackson's History. Did it ever matter what Rookie his team brought in? Phil has never been about developing a rookie player...

Since you want to play name that tune.. Name this one..

What Rookie player did Phil Jackson ever develop?

There are none.

Quote:

he Lakers are well over the salary cap, restricting their ability to bring in high-priced free-agent talent for at least two years. Their defense was abysmal last season; they had an unbalanced roster with too many small forwards; they had virtually no inside presence; and they were suspect at point guard.

"I'm not the panacea for this basketball club," Jackson said.
"It's going to take plenty of hard work and dedication over the course of the summer to change the face of this team."

Jackson said winning a 10th championship is not a priority and didn't sound like he expected that in the next three years.

"I would be most amazed if at the end of the third year we had an opportunity to do that," he said.

"He said the same thing the first time we hired him. I hope the same thing unfolds," Kupchak said.

I am well aware that he has never been in this position before. This is the first team he has taken over, knowing coming in that he wouldn't be winning a title before he left. You're making my point.

He is not a rookie developer. They drafted Bynum because they know it'll be something like 3 years before they are ready to really go for championships again. Phil is there to energize the fanbase and try to avoid the underachievement that they had last year. He is not there to win a title, and certainly not to try to do so this year. He is there for the cash and to do the lakers a favor.

They are not in contending mode.

I don't know why I bother talking to you, it's obvious that you only listen to yourself, and just change the subject when you're wrong

Again, I asked you why they drafted Bynum if they're in win now mode, you're dodging it. I asked you what seed you think they'll get this year (and who they'll be ahead of) to show me just how seriously you think they're contending and you're dodging it. That's what you always do, ignore posts every time you're wrong.

Have fun with that and your absurd trades

• Premium Member

Nope.

Bringing in Phil was not a move of.. Well, it will be 4 -5 yrs... let's just entertain the fans..

They have real hopes that Phil will work his magic. Right now, they are trying to get Phil whatever he says he needs outside of Shaq.

It wouldn't surprise me to see KG go to LAL in a trade...

They are not going to sit on this opportunity! You don't make Phil the richest coach in the game and have no hopes of a championship on his watch. Dr. Buss is too cheap for that!