• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Something To Watch For From Lon Kruger.

Guest Walter

Last year Lon's rotations and player roles were not respectively set or established until the second half of the season.

Assuming healthy players...

Our starting lineup's big 4 should dictate their much of their own roles and the role of the 5th starter to be penciled in at Sg after camp and preseason. Also, we are a contender with the health of our players seeming better and having more talent and more developed talent. As a result, players roles, rotations, etc. should be set MUCH earlier in the season than last. That is despite the addition of yet another new (star) starter to the Hawks' lineup.

Should they not, the concerns about Lon's rotations last year should carry some actual weight (Remember he coached the most injured team in the NBA last year.).

I'm hoping that within 20 games the team's rotations are set and roles are established. Unfortunately, we start off the season with a murderous schedule perhaps making experimentation with roles and rotations more difficult. I'm am not an expert on this area of basketball. I am not sure when to expect this team to gel and when the coach should be expected to know his preferred rotations and have them knowing their roles. Suggestions on what to expect?

W

I think you hit the nail on the head with the 4 "for sure" starters dictating the role of the 5th starter. As such, I hope it doesn't happen but I won't be surprised at all to see Ira open the season as the 5th starter. In fact, the only way I think it won't happen is that either DJ or Dion will step up and play so well in the pre season that there is no question that they need to start. Ira has proven that he is an excellent perimeter defender and right now, defense is one of the biggest question marks on this team. If I'm Lon and I've guaranteed the playoffs, I might opt for the known, steady journeyman blue collar work of Ira over the inconsistent but sometimes spectacular play of DJ or DG. I hope DJ or DG wins the job because I think they both have All Star potential down the road and I don't think that will ever be the case with Ira. Nevertheless, if Lon starts Ira, I won't blame him. In fact, it might be a lot of fun to see DJ and DG running with DD. That could be a very exciting, uptempo 2nd unit.

I really don't see how we can not start DJ. Ira just doesn't ahve the range and while Robinson's respectable from three, it's not his strong suit. Assuming DJ continues to play D, hit the three, and is the only one out there who can truly run with Terry on a fast break (yes, both dion and Ira could do this, but I don't think they can finish quite as well as DJ), I just don't see how he's doesn't have the job. It's his position to lose.

• Premium Member

Actually, DJ has to be played. This yr, we have to decide weather we keep him or not. As for Ira, he's more suited to play Behind GRob. He's not a great shooter. We need the three point threat. Dion also will join in the spirited battle for Starting Sg. His offensive ability and ability to drive sets him apart from DJ right now. However, with DJ adding Muscle, it's hard to tell how he will come in and play? Just think, a 6'9 3/4 Sg that can shoot the three, play strong defense, and drive (if he adds that dimension). He'd be the best thing this side of Tmac!

Although it would be a battle between, DJ, DG and Ira for that starting 2 guard spot........I think IMO it would be DJ starting there. Here is the breakdown of my logic.

Glover wont be starting at the 2 guard, couple of reason why are, Reef, Bid dog and JT, these are 3 guys that are 20 point scorers. Dion's game is basically one on one just like these guys, there is not enough balls to go around if we insert Dion at the starting 2. Also he is not a very good 3 point shooter. The decision will mostly come down to Ira and DJ.

Ira has a 50-50 chance to be the starting 2 guard. Reasons being, he can totally lockdown almost any 2-guard in this league. What they like about Ira is a couple of things.....hard nose D, garbage points and his hussle. These 3 things alone might make him the starting 2-guard on opening night.

Dj has the best chance of these guys, WHY? because he spreads the floor very very well. DJ is a much improve 3 point shooter and he can basically sit outside and knock them down all night, IMO he can also drive to the basket occasionally.......with how this team is setup now, with Reef, BD, and JT......DJ is the right man for the 2guard starting job, because he can spread the floor with his 3point accuracy. He is also tenadious on D just like Ira, just not as tough, but his long arms and frame disrupts many shots.

Looking at all these facts IMO DJ gets the nod at the most challenging position on our team, shooting guard.

• Admin

The best possibly scenario for the team and for DJ is that he will come out with improved offensive skills and an even better long range shot and he'll also play the type of defense that Ira played last year.

I would put money on it that defense is going to be the PRIME FACTOR in who starts at SG for this team. And I really don't see 3pt shooting as being the key thing either. As long as they can hit a solid mid-long range shot, which DJ, Ira and DG ALL can, the one who plays the strongest defense will win the starting spot. A great 3pt shooter who can also play lockdown D would be great, but we just don't have that type of player at our disposal, yet.

DJ is the most likely to step up and do it though. He's shown he has the range that both DJ and Ira lack. He's also shown that he can play great D, though he just hasn't shown it much at the pro level. But I will not be suprised to see either DG or Ira take the spot if DJ can't meet the expectations defensively. Offensively you aren't going to get much more than 10-12ppg from anyone at that spot, by virtue of available shots.

Can't very well have a starting five all set when there are

more projected starters on I.R. than there were available.

Healthy, we will have what we all want, including our

coach. The only question, in our mind at least, is who

will be the S.G.

If we are set on the starters, look at the second five.

Hawks will see many of last years starters on the second

unit along with our first round draft pick. This should

be a very solid unit.

Dickau & Email

Glover or DerMarr or Newbie

Nazr

Henderson & C.C.

This second unit, which made up much of last year's

starting five should be able to play with any other

teams second unit and beat most of them!! What a

difference a year makes>

Gray Mule

If DJ steps up and plays anywhere near the kind of D Ira plays, I think he will win the job. The team has a lot more invested in him so it should be his job to lose but if DJ is not ready right now, I don't think the team is in a position to wait for him to develop. The playoff guarantee dictates that we have to win NOW and if Lon thinks Ira gives us the best chance to win NOW, I think he will be the starter.

DJ is definitely going to be a better player than Ira in the very near future (if he isn't already) its just a matter of whether or not DJ fits the needed role on this team better than Ira does. I think DJ is going to eventually be every bit as good a defender as Ira, if not better, and offensively, it won't even be close, but I don't think he's strong enough to defend as well as Ira does right now. Ira doesn't give ground easily and he makes the offensive player work on EVERY possession. I can't remember Ira giving up an easy, uncontested basket all season.

I really hope DJ steps up and wins the job but its his 3rd year and he has to realize that he will have to EARN everything he gets. He is still developing but this team is ready to win right now. How much he plays will be directly correlated to how much he can help this team win.

If Dermarr does start he still will not log that many minutes.Let's think logically about the shooting guard rotation and the SF postion. Big Dog is going to play at least 35mpg maybe 37mpg that doesn't leave much PT for Ira Newble or Chris Crawford. Ira wasn't resigned by the Hawks to come and ride the bench. DIon or Dermarr willl end up seeing more time on the bench if they don't perform well. I think that the Hawks will try to give Dermarr a chance to start at the beginning of the season but if he struggles Dion and not Ira will start at the 2guard. If Dermarr loses his starters role he will BE THE 11TH OR 12TH MAN ON THE TEAM! Dermarr will see no playing time if he is pulled out of the starting lineup it will be DIon and Ira sharing the minutes. Dermarr will only see PT if the game is out of hand. This is just my theory. DOn't forget people Dion was shooting over 40% from behind the arc at the beginning of last season and he was also playing pretty good defense as well. So it basically comes down to this if Dermarr wants to play he better perform well enough to stay in the starting role or its back to the end of the bench for him.

I see JT getting the most minutes next year, then Reef and Dawg. But I wouldnt be surprised if Ira was next but didnt start. DJ will be next, then Theo and Nazr. I see Dion and Henderson being valuable but sometimes not getting many mins, probably Dickau gets more. Crawford and Email give us insurance but without injuries they dont play much.