• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Eastern Conference Prediction... by Diesel

Diesel

• Premium Member

1. Miami. I know, I know... Too many stars. Right? Well, in this case, I think that the depth will be a good thing. Especially for a coach who is not old school and does not believe in a 6 man rotation. I expect that Shaq will play some but mostly they will get a lot of play from their reserves and rest Shaq until the playoffs. Then in the playoffs, with an established Walker/Wade/Shaq combo Watch out.

2. Pacers. I think the changing faces of the East AND the return of Artest may mean a return of dominant play from the Pacers. I don't think the Pacers will be consistent though... I expect the starters to be Tinsley, Jax, Artest, Oneal, and Foster... However, i think that Jasikevicius could be the wild card. If he can come in and provide scoring from the PG position. AND yes, this guy can score. I remember watching (some years ago) him and Maryland play Temple... They had my man Greer and Greer was being ate up by this 2 guard off the switch. I think He went for 20... Anyway, He's the projected best PG in Europe so he has put some passing with his shooting. I'd like to see what happens with him and Tinsley.

3. 76ers. Many will disagree. But I say that OBrien was not a great coach. I think that Cheeks will bring the pride back to Philly and look what he has to work with? AI, AI, CWebb, and Dally... I think Philly has a lot of good guys playing on that team who are YOUNG.. Plus they got 2 vets who are still good. Iguodala can only learn defense from the real AI... Cheeks will make Webber a real Pf.

4. Detroit. I hate to say it, but they will feel the loss of Brown. I don't even think it's a basketball thing, I think it will be a mental thing. I think they still have loads of talent and defensively they can't be touched. But this East has become OFFENSIVE.

5. New Jersey. I want to put them higher, but HEART has me back here. I like what NJ has. I wish that they could have gotten SAR. They should have gotten SAR. But this is what they do have: Kidd/Carter probably the best Backcourt in the game. They got RJ/Kristic (fine Forwards)... and they got Marc Jackson (a good pickup if I must say so). I think they will play these guys as their 5. I hesitate to put them higher because of defense and depth.

6. Cleveland. It's about time. This will be the coming out of Bron. I think when you look at him and the pieces that they are putting around him, they will have a nice team. I like the addition of Hughes. Finally he goes to a team that respects his defense and offense. I think that playing next to James will make him better. I think Donyell Marshall was a seriously good pickup for this team. A vet guy who can score and knows what he is doing. I suspect that Gooden will lose minutes even though he's been a dominant rebounder and I think you will see more of Anderson V. on the floor this year. They say Snow has lost 20 lbs... Well, If he can play at a high pace, that's good. I think they should have gotten DD (Dickau).

7. New York Knicks... Sometimes the money does get you what you want... I think LB, QRich, and Channing Frye will be just what the doctor ordered... I think you will see the Knicks winning and the fanbase coming back and the media getting all googlly eyed.. Until the playoffs.

8. ATLANTA HAWKS (PENDING)... Some moves just makes sense. Getting JJ is that move. I think that the Hawks will win 3 times as many games as they did last year. JC and JS should not be underestimated. The Hawks Achilles Hill however will be frontcourt play. I think we will run and make the difference. The rest of the league being sorry will help... It all depends on coaching.

8. Washington (IF Atlanta's coaching sucks)... I think that the Wizards will suck after the loss of Brown/Hughes. Let's face it, those guys were part of their future. Especially Hughes. The truth of the matter is that Jamison is not that good and Arenas will be exposed...

Others:

New Orleans - The franchise is young plus the flood... Makes them a sentimental favorite BUT they will not win.

Orlando - Another young team with a better frontcourt than Atlanta, but I think coaching will be a difference maker. Orlando could sneak into the top 8 IF Francis could learn to be an effective SG and the minime backcourt could work...

Charlotte - Just too YOUNG.

Chicago - Unhappy Youth Movement (Curry/Chandler) will spell the end of the playoff appearances... IF Chicago loses Curry and Harrington, don't look for them to win over 30.

Toronto - Don't make me laugh. Actually, I like Bosh... But they have too many bad contracts and they can't improve unless they decide to trade Bosh... However, Charlie V. is my sleeper for ROY.

Milwaukee - How much is Redd worth?? Honestly, Milwaukee should have done the deal with Denver for Nene.... Bogut won't be a disappointment but with no PG, I don't expect them to do much more than throw it in to him and watch him get handled by the likes of John Edward... If TJ Ford comes back healthy, this could change.

Boston - Somebody has to run checks and balances on Danny Ainge. I think he has lost his mind. Unless he pulls off the trade of PP for Franchise, I don't see much of a future for the C's. I think that you can't count on Jefferson for anything close to 15 ppg right now. I don't think you can count on any of your PG personell. All you have still is PP and RD... I like Justin Reed but he will never see the light of day with Gerald Green in the picture...

ROY Candidates out of the East:

Charlie V., Jasikevicius, Bogut, Felton, and G. Green. I think it will prolly be Jasikevicius with the best chance to win because of his experience AND the possibility that he could just beat out Tinsley for the starting PG spot in Indy. I think that Charlie V. will be next because of the rotations that Toronto will use...

• Premium Member

I think if the coaching is good, Atlanta is better than just about every other team I have behind them. The only team that I can say would probably be 8th if not Atlanta is Orlando.

Now..

trading Al?

I think not. It seems like a popular thing to do but it's a dumb thing to do. Al is a 17 ppg PF. The only PF this team has. He's 6'9 250 and he can run the floor. I think when you put him on the floor (healthy) with JJ, you get a combo that can only help each other. I think that the surprise this year will be JC, but I think Al will be over 20 ppg...

I like our chances because we basically become what Washington was last season only more solid. We are a team that runs and scores and our scoring will come from everywhere.

I'm willing to get ZaZa a shot at C and see what he can do. I mean, worse case scenerio, we become a team that plays weak interior defense... BUT with the players we have, we can easily become a high scoring team. So in this case, we are similar to Phoenix...

are you saying the Cavs won't make the playoffs?

is Vegas taking money on this...cause i'll take the over under. They're in this year. Trust me on that one (and call me on it later if the sitaution arises).

The Knicks analogy really is right on...it's like they didn't look at the Hawks' teams of SAR/Robinson (sorry, I can't write GRob or 'Big-Dog' seeing how quickly and greatly he's declined), and JT...plus Theo. Pretty good teams on paper...maybe canada was too far away to see all the way down to atlanta (for Zeke).

Chicago...should make playoffs. but they must continue on what was started last year, which includes resigning Curry to a one year tender (he/they won't do more). Will it work? will the rooks, esp. Deng want more PT? what about Gordon? questions there, and good ones to have...but they're not a lock.

Milwaukee...they're a crap shoot. they could get a last spot. who knows how Bogut will reallydo? or Redd now that he's, in the words of 'O Brother Where Ought Thou, "bonifide.'

here's what we KNOW: (in no particular order, without getting into the conference issues:

Detroit, Miami, Indy are all in. top three.

Celtics could be good...with continued develpment of their bigm man and (gasp) two decent seasons from Ricky not nammed williams). a beatable team on any given night though.

Um, where you wanna go from there? The Sixers...should be in on 'talentand coninuity alone.' somewhere in the mix.

Orlando...see theminthe late season stretch, for many reasons diffeent, but similar to us.

it's late,Im tirred....that was a semicoherent snapshot...

I don't understand where your future is if you don't ship out Al. The two guys with crazy potential both play the 3. In the East I would like to see one of those guys step up to the 4 and create unbelievable mismatches. Making up for their lack of size with athleticism on D and schooling slower 4's. I really like a Joe Johnson/Salim backcourt for the future. You guys gotta go small and try to run teams, out athlete them, Marvin, J Smith throwin down dunks, Salim and JJ pullin up 3's, and Chill hittin the mid range.

• Premium Member

The future is right there.

I'm not saying that Al is or is not the future, I mean, he could be if we have a rotation. The way I see it, Marvin won't be ready to play for a couple of years and then might be a disappointment then. I also say that J-Smoove hasn't shown enough to warrant trying to send him to the 4 spot.

I think eventually, we will have to get a PG and a C (like we were supposed to do in this draft).. but for now, we have depth!

we'll be better than Toronto...at least we better be. I'd actually be more disappointed if Toronto ended with a better record than the Hawks than if Charlotte did, though the latter's in our division.

That Toronto team is just plain awful in terms of 'assembly' and roles. Unless they make a trade or two, that team is going to struggle...

I agree. I think we'll be better than Toronto. I think we could be at least as good as Boston.

1. Indiana

2. Miamia

3. New Jersey

4. Detroit

5. Cleveland

6. Philadelphia

7. Chicago

8. Washington

I want to agree with Diesel about the possiblity of the Hawks sliding into the 8th seed, but I know it is just the homer in me.

The Knicks are just as big a mystery to me as the Lakers. I don't know what Brown will do for them.

Milwaukee IMO has a good chance to make that 8th seed playoff spot. That could put Detoit, Indiana, Cleveland, Chicago, and Milwaukee in the playoffs. That's the whole division. That's crazy.

• Admin

I can pretty much buy this list except I put Indiana ahead of Miami. Yah I know i know, some people are going to say "what, you went against Shaq and flash?". But yah, I do. I think that the pacers are going to have a top 5 defense, they are very very good offensively, they are very balanced and they have one thing that Miami doesn't have, experience. Miami loaded up on all these names, but where is the chemistry and experiene?

I also put Detroit 3rd on the list. They aren't going to slip to 4th simply because Brown is gone. They have too many experienced players who have played together for too long to lose that much.

• Premium Member

1) Heat (Wins South)

2) Pacers (Wins Central)

3) Philly (Wins the Atlantic)

4) Pistons

5) Cavs

In any order...

6) Bulls

7) Nets

8) Knicks

Creeping up on that last spot

Hawks - Depends on how far Chill has come. If he steps up, and JJ can be a primary distributer AND maintain his consistency, we'll be fighting for that last spot.

Magic

Bucks

• Premium Member

What I have learned from experience is that when there is contract problems, there are team problems. For an example, look at KG and the Twolves this past year. Spree and Cassell played like total buttheads... My feeling about Chicago is that Curry might not play....there are rumors that suggest he may retire. AND Chandler doesn't want to be in Chicago... They picked up Malik Allen but honestly, he's not the type of C that they need in Chicago. They need a running C, Allen is a halfcourt C.

Chicago will bungle their way towards a 30 win season. It will be like watching the Clipps. They have one good year... Tremendous Year... And then they mess up...

Quote:

What I have learned from experience is that when there is contract problems, there are team problems. For an example, look at KG and the Twolves this past year. Spree and Cassell played like total buttheads... My feeling about Chicago is that Curry might not play....there are rumors that suggest he may retire. AND Chandler doesn't want to be in Chicago... They picked up Malik Allen but honestly, he's not the type of C that they need in Chicago. They need a running C, Allen is a halfcourt C.

Chicago will bungle their way towards a 30 win season. It will be like watching the Clipps. They have one good year... Tremendous Year... And then they mess up...

Cassell and Spree's aging also played a factor in their

poor play last year.

• Premium Member

The Knicks are a team that has a lot of talent.

You can underestimate Steph if you please..

Look at what they have:

Marbury, J-Craw, QRich, TThomas, C Frye... With Penny, Sweetney, Taylor, Lee, Robinson, Ariza, and Butler.

I imaginte they will start:

Marbury, QRich, Ariza, TT, and Frye...

Point is that NY has a good rotation of young players whta they can play. They can play several different Styles. They have lots of depth except at the C position.

• Premium Member

I agree that Spree and Cassell's aging had a lot to do with why they didn't make it to the finals the year before...

However...

Last yr, it was more Cassell and Spree not going out and giving 100%. The games I watched were filled with Cassell and Spree Bching and Moaning with officials, KG, or whoever would listen. It was like they purposely went out and not tried... to show what kind of effect they had on the team. I think Chicago will experience something similar from Chandler as he tries to be traded.

they've got a lot of talent, despite what many on this board want to admit. And people seem to forget that Larry Brown's track record with this sort of thing is pretty damn good...but then again, he's not exactly Steph's biggest fan.

The biggest problem with their team is Crawford and Marbury both requiring the ball in their hands to produce. Penny's still got a little...but he won't get many minutes. Ariza will do fine and they've got a nice compliment of semi-big bodies...but I just don't see the pieces fitting for crap.

The big guys aren't finishers. They better quickly develop outlet passing skills...cause the guards aren't rebounding much.

Something tells me that there will be moves made at somepoint in the season involving either TT or Crawford...

Marbury/Crawford/Q aren't all that much different... They

all three take alot of shots while shooting a low percentage.

People are going to bring up Larry Brown... but this NK

team is little like the two teams he coached to the finals

and title. The year he took Philly to the finals they

had Deke/Hill/Lynch/McKie and with Detroit it was the

Wallaces/Prince/Billups... What does he really have to

work with upfront in NY?

However, I still they they will be good enough to squeak

in the playoffs.