• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

anybody have a legit height on Marv?

gsuteke

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geeze. This guy cannot play Pf for us, EVER, despite his length. He's a Sf, yet without the Sf skills. I hope he develops enough to man the Sf position and that Josh Smith won't be less of a star at Pf as an undersized Pf.

W

he is the same height as Sean May and taller than Ike Diogu and both of those guys are considered to be good PF prospects. However, people think of Marvin as a SF because his is thinner than those guys by quite a bit, plus he is a much better ball handler and shooter on the perimeter. He just happens to be an exceptional rebounder for a SF and has a potentially very good low post game. I would say that his future is at the 3 though and I doubt many would argue that. He just isnt physical enough to man the 4, at least not at this point in his career. He could very well grow 2-3 more inches and put on 25-30 lbs, so who knows what the future holds.

• Premium Member

The main difference between Sf and Pf is not size. I mean, what's 1 or 2 inches... Somebody's forehead? The difference is style of play. You have to have a totally different style to play Pf than to play wing. I thnk Marvin is another Sf. To me that makes him a bad pick because we have several.

I think Al is a Pf and of the 4 commonly mentioned, he's our only Pf. I think both Smoove and Chillz (by style) are Sfs.

When you watch May and Ike play, there's no doubt that on the college level and on this level, they will be PFs.

I think will notice the same thing with D. Granger. People say he's a Sf... But every aspect of his game is that of a Pf.

He is much better than Ike Diogu or May, but this is not the measurement of a NBA Sf, much less a #2 pick one.

I do not recall Marvin's handle being all that great. In fact, I watched many UNC games and I don't recall more than 1 dribble drives.

Marvin SCREAMS 'tweener! I'm scared to death of this pick after realizing he is a positionally "versatile" player without the size or height to play much less dominate the PF position. What good is that with a #2 pick? This guy better show up with some serious Sf skills I did not see at UNC or we have been suckered.

W

It's only that he was listed at 6'9" EVERYWHERE! Goodbye rug, hello floor.

I also understand that style of play is more important. I see Marvin as stuck between Sf & Pf in terms of style of play. He's a forward that lacks "power" but also lacks some Sf skills. While I think he can make up for the lack of Sf skills his limited height suggest to me he can't make up for his lack of "power". More importantly, in either case can he make up for anything he lacks to the point of not only being worthy of a #2 pick over Deron or Paul, but justify misplaying Josh Smith at the Pf position?

I seriously question that. Josh MAY have the size and strength, even the type game to play POWER forward and he may lack some of the skills needed at Sf, but he does not have the size, strength, or type of game to dominate at Pf like he might at Sf. It would be a shame to deny the team the position Smith could reach stardom at to play what may amount to a highly touted 'tweener.

digressing a little...

While I think that J. Chill is more a Sf, I think he can be special at Sg given some time to develop his shot. I question a team with he and JJ in the backcourt despite their length due to Chill not being agood enough ballhandling 2 to significantly help JJ with that role.

W

...you do NOT draft a player based upon his potential TO GROW an inch. You don't justify a selection after the fact either based upon that same silly hope. Ridiculous.

Fact is, the guy was listed everywhere as 6'9". It seems he's lost two inches since college, not grown any.

W

• Premium Member

Quote:

He's a forward that lacks "power" but also lacks some Sf skills.

Everywhere else in the world, that's called a tweener...

But back to the post.

I think we should think of Marvin as a Sf also. I just don't think he's better than Smoove. I also like you believe that Smoove has the power to be a PF but he lacks the game.. He doesn't show me anything in the post.. Around the basket other than he can put it back. I kringe when I think about trading Al for a pick or trading him for a PG... or something silly because truly Al is our only PF.

• Premium Member

Who in the Hawks' organization ever projected Marvin as a full-time PF?

Let's not get the Hawks' intentions confused with this board's expectations. Besides, it's Josh Smith who would potentially move to PF, not Marvin.

From the beginning, Knight has said that he sees Marvin and Smith playing together as the "forwards" and causing matchup problems for other teams. As long as one of the two of them can guard most PF's, Knight's vision will be accomplished.

If not, you have one of the most valuable trading chips in the entire league - a young, respectable SF with a ton of potential on a rookie contract.

great.

how many tweeners do we have now? Marv, Joe, Smoove, Chill, Al, heck our entire team is tweeners. LOL

i was afraid he was in the six eight range. i could see that pick being super in 2 years if he wound up being 6 10. if Marv winds up being 6 7 it won't look as good.

don't rely on Marv to grow much if any more at all. i stopped growing after the 8th grade.

we need a PF. i'm still not on the let's dump Al bandwagon. he needs to be splitting time with a big closer to 7 ft.

Maybe another Reef? I'd hope not. All of BK's moves have

the real potential of blowing up in his face. He seems

to take an aweful lot of chances.

Around the basket other than he can put it back. I kringe when I think about trading Al for a pick or trading him for a PG... or something silly because truly Al is our only PF."

Al is not a PF, he isn't strong enough and doesn't rebound

enough. When I think of PF's I think of:

Duncan

Garnett

Brand

Jermaine O'Neal

Not Al who struggles to rebound.

First, if you insist it is only "potentially" that Smoove plays Pf full-time, then who out of Smoove, Chill, and Marvin go to the bench long-term if he isn't?

Even if Josh Smith is asked to make the move he wouldn't without Marvin and likely shouldn't. Marvin might not have been asked to be a full-time Pf even if he was 6'9". At 6'7" without, 6'81/4" with shoes there is no way he will. Smith at 6'9" with much shorter arms similarly shouldn't be asked to be a full-time Pf.

Truth is that Marvin is relegated to the Sf position because of his height (not because his skills ontherwise dictate he play there) and Smoove should be because his best chance to be a star is at Sf. How many all-star Pfs are 6'9" or less? Nowitski, Garnett,...nobody is!!! It is a d@mn shame to lower Josh Smith's ceiling by playing him at Pf where 6'9" players do not dominate.

W

• Premium Member

Quote:

When I think of PF's I think of:

Duncan

Garnett

Brand

Jermaine O'Neal

Let's get this out the way first...

KG and Duncan are both Freaks of Nature. They are players that have superseded the original definition of Pf. Truth be known, KG can play any position on the floor well. I mean, if he lined up at Sf, he could put up 25/12/6.... Would that make him a Sf? If you say no, let me remind you, his first few years were at Sf. If he played C, he would put up 25, 12, 6. Does that make him a C?? If you say no, let me remind you that he is 7'1. The same is true of Duncan... Just a FREAK. He's supposed to be a C. I will just leave that discussion there.

I like Basketball history.

In Basketball History, the Pf position was never really about HEIGHT... It was about style.. That's why Reef was a Pro PF and not a Sf. You look at Reef you see 6'9 235... When your mind say Sf, you watch him play and he has a low post game... He doesn't run the floor well. He doesn't shoot from the wing that well. He's a PF... because he has more low post moves than most Cs... He just plants himself down there and he scores.

When you look at Al... He's 6'9 250. He runs well and he hides his size well, but he plays the same type of game as Reef. Low post moves galore. He can back up and hit the shots from the wing... His rebounding wasn't great for us last season.. But he has a Reef like game.

Quote:

Quote:

When I think of PF's I think of:

Duncan

Garnett

Brand

Jermaine O'Neal

Let's get this out the way first...

KG and Duncan are both Freaks of Nature. They are players that have superseded the original definition of Pf. Truth be known, KG can play any position on the floor well. I mean, if he lined up at Sf, he could put up 25/12/6.... Would that make him a Sf? If you say no, let me remind you, his first few years were at Sf. If he played C, he would put up 25, 12, 6. Does that make him a C?? If you say no, let me remind you that he is 7'1. The same is true of Duncan... Just a FREAK. He's supposed to be a C. I will just leave that discussion there.

I like Basketball history.

In Basketball History, the Pf position was never really about HEIGHT... It was about style.. That's why Reef was a Pro PF and not a Sf. You look at Reef you see 6'9 235... When your mind say Sf, you watch him play and he has a low post game... He doesn't run the floor well. He doesn't shoot from the wing that well. He's a PF... because he has more low post moves than most Cs... He just plants himself down there and he scores.

When you look at Al... He's 6'9 250. He runs well and he hides his size well, but he plays the same type of game as Reef. Low post moves galore. He can back up and hit the shots from the wing... His rebounding wasn't great for us last season.. But he has a Reef like game.

My point mainly is those guys rebound and block shots. Al

does neither of them. He has never even averaged HALF a

block in a season. Yes, he has a Reef like game, and that's

one reason I want to see him gone or see him as the role

he had Indiana. If you call these guys PF's, I want other

options that can rebound and block shots... I think it

is even more important when you don't have a center that

can rebound and block shots.

Why didn't Indy keep Al? Jermaine O'Neal can and did play

some center. I don't think you really want Al as a starting

PF if you are a winning team. Notice that the four finalist

have a shot blocker and rebounder inside. Shaq/Duncan/Amare/

Wallaces.

The teams that win the title have these. Even the Bulls..

Rodman wasn't tall, but he PLAYED tall like Ben Wallace

does.