• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin Williams=Next Ed O'bannon

LastDon

I like Marvin but he reminds me alot of Ed O'bannon!!!! The media had high expectations for Ed like we have for Marvin and both players possessed similiar skill sets.

O'bannon was a 6'8 guy who dominated on the collegiate level but had hard time making the transition to the pros because of lack of quickness,ballhandling and outside shooting. He was a good character guy but it just didn't work out.

It scares me because Ed was way more explosive and dominant than Marvin in college and I think that both guys have the same weaknesses!!!!

ED O'BANNON?

You're comparing Marvin to him? Based on what?

I think Marvins' skill set is much more like KG. I don't know if he possess that kinda attitude that makes KG such a great player and leader.

But, Marvin will probably end up being 6'9"-6'10" (with shoes, since they don't play barefoot)

And, the young man has a 7'3" wingspan!

He can rebound

He can shoot

He can handle the ball

He's quick

He's long

He's aggressive

I think he's the real deal...all that young man needs is time and health and he'll be an all-star for many many years

ala KG

• Premium Member

I know you have no money in your pockets because you have bought the hype...

Marvin has the possibility of being the next Tim Thomas... Except TT is a true 6'10 and MW is about 6'8. I think Marvin could have a better shot than O'Bannon... But I don't think Marvin is even in the same Nation as KG.... The only place where Marvin and KG are similar is skin tone. Even there he might be closer to TT.

If Marvin Williams is the next Ed O'Bannon, then virtually every scout/GM in the NBA was wrong in their evaluation of him since many of them had him as the top rated player in the draft and NONE of them rated him below #4. Can the guy at least play one game, let alone one or two seasons, before we deem him as a bust? He might not have done much in summer league but he did a heck of a lot more than Chillz did the previous year and now, Chillz is looking pretty dang good. Give the guy a chance!

• Moderators

If anyone really believes that Marvin Williams will be no better than Ed O'Bannon please post: "I predict that Marvin Willaims will be no better than Ed O'Bannon. You can ride me if I'm wrong, but anyone who doubts me will eat crow when I'm right." That is essentially what Diesel has done with his Tim Thomas comparisons (which are at least more reasonable).

Otherwise let's stop with asanine comparisons like this one.

O'Bannon played less than 130 games and in his best season he averaged 6.2 ppg and 2.6 rpg. His career highs (in different games) were 19 points, 11 rebounds, and 2 blocks. Anyone who thinks Marvin won't better those numbers has issues, IMO.

I agree, the Marvin bashing has to stop. At the same time, people have to stop calling him the greatest of all time before he even suits up. You all should know that scouts and media/fan hype are far from perfect in terms of predicting future success.

He is an athletic, young forward with lots of potential. That is all we know. Whether he becomes great, a colassal bust or just average is up to him.

Quote:

The only reason ev eryone is on Marvin is because we have Josh Smith and they play the same position. Marvin will probably not be a pf BUT he might be an outstanding SF. Smith is no lock for anything other then dunker either.

Exactly. & I think it's good reason. Moreover, I don't imagine Marvin being any better or worse than Josh at Sf. Maybe he will be or won't be, but it was a poor use of draft resources to (yet again) draft for redundancy.

W

• Admin

I was hoping for Chris Paul as well but I still don't have a problem with Marvin on our roster. It gives us depth and options up front. At the same time I don't know why everyone is on his case. It actually makes me laugh how people already have Salim slated to be an impact player while Marvin will be a bust.

If Marvin turns out to be the star he could be then we have trade options to fill the rest of the roster with Smith/Al/childress. Its a wait and see game and the game can't start until these guys actually start playing.