• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Diesel Top 6 Hawks Ever!

Diesel

• Premium Member

6 decades of the NBA deserves 6 great players.

I will exclude

1. Dominique... The man that kept the franchise Alive! If it were not for Nique, the Hawks would be back in St. Louis...

2. Bob Petit... Probably one of the best players ever... Would be Tim Duncan Like Now!

3. Pistol Pete Maravich... 23.2 ppg, 19.1 ppg, 27.1 ppg... The show man. Should have been here throughout his career however, we traded him for draft picks and two no names!

4. Dikembe Mutombo.... Defensive Player of the year for 3 of the 5 yrs he was a Hawks! He anchored that 50 win team.

5. Sweet Lou Hudson... Hard call. However, Hudson was a good scorer...

6. Moses Malone.... 21 ppg, 12 rpg... Damn. Would love to have that kind of production from the C position with a scorer like Nique!!!

Unfortunately: Dr. J. and Bill Russell never suited up for the Hawks... Neither did Gary Payton and Sheed only Played one game.

Honorable mention to Shareef Rahim, Doc Rivers, and Tree Rollins.

No love for Randy Whitmann? Kevin Willis? Spud Webb? Steve Smith? MOOKIE BLAYLOCK??

Actually, the list is fine for one player per decade, but I would really put Mookie over Deke. And Mook was head and shoulders better than Reef.

Snoop Graham is going to read this and be pretty PO'ed. Well him and Morlon Wiley.

What about Tree Rollins? He was the anchor of those mid-80s defensive teams and the team had better chemestry before the Moses/Theus debacle.

Doc Rivers was a solid big point gaurd who learned to shoot towards the end of his Atlanta days.

TIC- what about Ty Corbin

• Premium Member

I think that tree definitely deserves consideration...But he was not the defensive force that Deke was nor was he the offensive force that Moses was. Even though the Moses/Nique/Theus lineup didn't pay off, they did take the Celtics to the brink...

I was thinking about Adding Koncak!! grin.gif

Gotta have some kak! cool.gif

Quote:

Even though the Moses/Nique/Theus lineup didn't pay off, they did take the Celtics to the brink...

Actually, the Moses/Nique/theus lineup didn't take the Celtics to the brink. That was done by the '87-'88 Hawks team. The Moses/Nique/Theus lineup was '88-'89, the end result being a first round exit courtesy of the Milwaukee bucks.

I thought we had already mentioned Smith, but yeah, he was a very nice player for the Hawks. I mentioned Corbin as a funny. Those Smith teams really suffered from not having a SF.

Speaking of those matchups with the Bulls, I remember Mookie giving Jordan fits on defense.

Good List. But it kind of depends on the rules. Is it the Hawks or the Atlanta Hawks?

Over their career, I'd agree on Deke and Malone, but for their time here I was not as impressed. I like Tree and Bob Petit better. But don't forget "Pistol" and Lenny Wilkens (as a player).

[Future note - a former Hawks center, Steve Hawes, now has a nephew who is 7' and rated the second best center in preps behind Oden. Steve has been working with him (Spence Hawes). He's going to Washington next year and then may be a name for us to look at in the following draft - 2007 if we have any picks left.]

Quote:

Milwaukee was the second year of the trio...

The first yr they played the Celtics.

Malone and Theus weren't acquired until the '88-'89 season, one season after the Hawks pushed the Celts to seven games in the Eastern semifinal. (The shootout between Bird and 'Nique, one of the greatest duels of all time IMO). Then in '89-'90 the Hawks just missed the playoffs by one game, with a 41-41 record.

Source:

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nba/atlanta/atlhawks.html

Side note:

The '87-'88 starting lineup

Doc Rivers-PG

Randy Whitman-SG

'Nique-SF

Kevin Willis-PF

Tree Rollins/Jon "Contract" Koncak-C

IMO the best starting five we ever had in terms of balance.