Marvin Williams = Labron James

Gray Mule

We saw last night what some Hawks fans expect MW to be

for the Hawks.

If he can't produce the same type numbers for us that the

Cavs are getting from LJ, then he will be considered a

failure by them.

They are about the same age. MW got his year of experience

in college while LJ was playing in the NBA out of H.S.

for his year's experience.

Both are about the same size, although L.J. appears to be

a little more muscular. A little work in the weight room

could close this gap by next year.

Do I think MW will come up the all star status of LJ?

No, I believe he will get to be a very good player,

however, and will perhaps one day be an all star.

Just as there was only one M.J. around, there is only

one L.J. Don't be too dissapointed if our own M.W.

falls a little short. He won't be the only player in

the NBA that does.

Another entirely different thing:

Hawks have a winning record this season

IN OUR CONFERENCE!!

smirk.gif

• Premium Member

there is a huge difference in the two now. LJ came out of high school into this league and was an immediate star. MW came into this league with one year of college under his belt and is NOT a star at this point. Marvin appears to have all the physical tools at his disposal. MW is just not ready for the NBA at this point and neither is Josh Smith.

I still remember what Michael Jordan said; it is a huge mental jump from college to the NBA. If you have all the physical tools in then universe and are not mentally strong you will not be a star in the NBA.

I remember when Roy Marble came out of Iowa, had all the tools in the world and was called Baby Jordan, the Hawks even drafted him. He was a flop because he didn't have the mental toughness it requires to be successful in this league.

I hope Marvin does not turn out to be Roy Marble.

• Premium Member

Barkley said (on frankly speaking) that all superstars have an edge about them. He said that Bird, Magic, Micheal, Himself, McHale were all the type of guys who would slit your throat to win (paraphrased; actually, Stephen said it and Barkley continued the conversation)...

Point is that Marvin doesn't have it. I just don't see the competitiveness of a superstar in MW... He may have some tools, but the main thing is that drive and determination. Honestly, is Marvin HUNGRY? Has he ever been Hungry? NO. Right now, Marvin is where he wants to be and for us (fans of the Hawks) that's a tragedy!

I am still undecided about Marvin. I could be that he doesn't have heart. It could also be that he doesn't really believe he is that good. He sees all the hype surrounding him and is thinking to himself are they really saying all this about ME?

One day he may wake up and realize that he is actually good. then he will start to produce. I don't think he feels that way now.

Or he may just not have the drive. Right now I can't really tell.

I believe one of the main reasons we haven't seen more out of Marvin is the fact he did not come into a situation like Lebron. Nobody came out of high school and did the things Lebron is doing at his age. It took Garnett, Kobe, and McGrady a few years to come into their own. If Marvin was brought in as the main focus of the team and given majority of the time on the floor he would be more effective at this point or he would be more of a scorer, but not a better ball player. I truely believe Woody is bringing him along slowly so he can mix his talents with playing at this level. Given time we will get a better all around player.

Quote:

Barkley said (on frankly speaking) that all superstars have an edge about them. He said that Bird, Magic, Micheal, Himself, McHale were all the type of guys who would slit your throat to win (paraphrased; actually, Stephen said it and Barkley continued the conversation)...

Point is that Marvin doesn't have it. I just don't see the competitiveness of a superstar in MW... He may have some tools, but the main thing is that drive and determination. Honestly, is Marvin HUNGRY? Has he ever been Hungry? NO. Right now, Marvin is where he wants to be and for us (fans of the Hawks) that's a tragedy!

Hi, my name is Diesel. Im an f'n idiot because i claim to know the inner workings of marvin williams mind, body and soul. Basically i know these things about him because i have an uncanny knack for reading between the lines when he is quoted in print. I also have a super-duper 2000" plasma that helps me to understand and identify marvins facial expressions when he is on the court. On top of this, i post about 250 asanine trades daily. Ive been bitter that marvin doesnt shoot 100% from the field, record quadruple-doubles, and date eva longoria. Because i mean, damn, chris paul right now is better than oscar robertson was in his prime!

• Premium Member

BK and company were so fanatic about getting Marvin that they didn't pay attention. Marvin had a BAD workout for Milwaukee. He came to us out of shape. Meanwhile Paul says that he had his best workout with the Hawks and expected us to scoop him up. True to form BK ignored all of the early signs.. Not to mention the final four and his performance against top teams in the NCAA...

Quote:

Hi, my name is Diesel. Im an f'n idiot because i claim to know the inner workings of marvin williams mind, body and soul. Basically i know these things about him because i have an uncanny knack for reading between the lines when he is quoted in print. I also have a super-duper 2000" plasma that helps me to understand and identify marvins facial expressions when he is on the court. On top of this, i post about 250 asanine trades daily. Ive been bitter that marvin doesnt shoot 100% from the field, record quadruple-doubles, and date eva longoria. Because i mean, damn, chris paul right now is better than oscar robertson was in his prime!

That is a disturbingly accurate impression

• Premium Member

Shock,

When Marvin has a 21 minute, 4 point, 2 reb game and he goes home and sees Chris Paul having a 18pt, 7reb, 7 asst, 4 steal game...

Does he call you over to give him a back rub and to read him a story?

Are you holding his spongebob bookbag right now?

Do you make his sandwhiches with our without the crust.

tell you what... for the Knicks game, you should put a corndog in his scooby-doo lunchbox... I hear they help the Hawks play better!

By April maybe you can help him get over the fans saying: Mar-Vin Mar-Vin...

I'll be the one in seat 226 with the big ass #2 pick Sign!

He was so out of shape that he blew everyone that saw him in his workout away.

There's a really good comparison for this situation. Marvin Williams was to this past draft what Reggie Bush will be to the NFL draft in April. He's the type of player that you simply don't pass on.

I am amazed that all the experts and NBA executives that had Marvin as the clear cut #1 player in the draft are so wrong about him.

those are the same executives who thought Darko was the clear cut #2 pick a few years back or that Stromile Swift was going to be the next big thing and so on. So really, using their judgment as your basis for defense is pretty weak.

You really shouldnt compare the best college football player in the country and the likely #1 pick in the next NFL draft to a guy who is extremely talented but was a backup on his own team. Scouts are saying that Bush is the most talented back to come out of the draft since Gale Sayers.

I still think that Marvin is going to be a stud (in 2-3 years) but he isnt even close right now. He is about where Josh Smith is and neither of them are even close to where Chris Paul is. At this point passing up Paul was a mistake. Hopefully that will change as Marvin improves, but thats something we have to really pray happens ... whereas Hornets fans dont have to worry a bit about Paul improving since he is already a borderline all-star PG.

year. I would much rather have Rondo as our PG than Paul, even though I really do love Pauls game ... especially his offensive game. However, Rondo is an incredible rebounder and defender for his position and has great court awareness and although his shot needs work he will instantly pair with JJ and become one of the better defensive backcourts in the league.

Quote:

those are the same executives who thought Darko was the clear cut #2 pick a few years back or that Stromile Swift was going to be the next big thing and so on. So really, using their judgment as your basis for defense is pretty weak.

You really shouldnt compare the best college football player in the country and the likely #1 pick in the next NFL draft to a guy who is extremely talented but was a backup on his own team. Scouts are saying that Bush is the most talented back to come out of the draft since Gale Sayers.

I still think that Marvin is going to be a stud (in 2-3 years) but he isnt even close right now. He is about where Josh Smith is and neither of them are even close to where Chris Paul is. At this point passing up Paul was a mistake. Hopefully that will change as Marvin improves, but thats something we have to really pray happens ... whereas Hornets fans dont have to worry a bit about Paul improving since he is already a borderline all-star PG.

KB, you have been served.

I agree. I could change my mind, but as of today, I am 100% on the Rondo bandwagon

1) Unbelievably quick, can push the ball to get guys like Smoove easy points

2) Unbelievable rebounder for his position, will help alleviate the lack of real big men

3) Great defender. rondo-JJ-Smith would be great D at the 1-2-4 positions

4) He will do wonders for the Joshes and Marvin. Marvin is dying for a quick PG to help him get more involved in the offense. Rondo can be that guy

As of today, he is the only guy out there I want. I suppose aldridge would be a very distant second. I'm not sold on him

The best I can tell, Lebron developed his "manskills" about the time most of us started puberty. On "Quite Frankly" Barkley was asked who was better at this age and Barkley hesitated and kinda mumbled MJ was but I dont think he was serious. Lebron was physically as matured at around 16 as Marvin or JSmoove will be by next year, he amazingly seems to be mentally pretty mature too. I dont know if Lebron will get much better, for sure a little but I dont think much. Similarly early developed players that I can think of are Big Dog or Jim Jackson, both were mature early in college and never got much better. Pretty much everyone else is still growing physically and mentally thru their early and mid 20's. I think Marvin and JSmoove will get much better but I doubt either will get as good as Lebron is now.

From what I've read and seen I think Marvin will work hard and develop into something like a Carmello/Mashburn type player with a little more length. I think he'll be better than Chris Paul but who knows. To question the pick and Marvin's heart is normal even if it is too early to really worry about it. I actually know that Diesel really likes Marvin he just has a harder making up trade proposals because it's so hard to predict how our players will develop whereas if we hard Chris Paul it would be easier.

Quote:

Shock,

When Marvin has a 21 minute, 4 point, 2 reb game and he goes home and sees Chris Paul having a 18pt, 7reb, 7 asst, 4 steal game...

Does he call you over to give him a back rub and to read him a story?...blah blah blah etc

The difference between our posts is that mine demonstrates how absurd your argument about marvin having no hunger for the game is and calling you out on your trade scenarios that everyone laughs at. On the other hand, your post was a piss poor attempt to "one up" me on the comedy scale. nice try though.

Look, i agree that we probably should have picked paul. He is NBA ready and a legitimate star in the making. But just because BK made a mistake, im not going to make marvin the scapegoat for this thing. Just because he isnt putting up paul-type numbers doesnt mean he should be mentioned in virtually all of your trades, or that you should give people are hard time when they come to marvins defense. Have your beef with BK and say he should be fired, prognosticate who the new gm will be, etc.

and lastly, have fun in your 200's section by yourself, ill look back at you while im sitting 5 rows back from the court with my girlfriend.