• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Atlanta Falcons

TheDude

I don't ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever want to watch another NFL game like I watched Atlanta vs Tampa the 2nd time today. I honestly wouldn't even care if we won the dam game...

I cannot fathom just how that game went for us. Just cannot comprehend it. We're stopping the run (which is all they have) and driving down the field. Roddy White scores a long TD which is called back (which is a wrong call because he had possession in the end zone). Then we get knocked out of field goal range. Score a TD next time down, good. All of a sudden our defense can't stop the run or 5 yard passes WHEN EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHER KNEW THAT'S ALL THEY WERE GOING TO DO. Even with 2 1st and 20's because of their holding penalities,they score to tie it.

We get a fumble off of the kickoff return AND MISS A CHIP SHOT! Fortunate enough to have them miss one too. AND THEN FOR THE LOVE OF GOD ON 3RD AND 2 WE THROW A LONG BOMB WITH THE ENTIRE SEASON ON THE LINE!!!i do understand a tie would have kept us alive (but slim chances to none to work).. I could not believe.

Then what happens? You guessed it, they run the ball and throw short passes in the middle to go straight down the field.

Even if we had won that game, I don't ever want to see that again. It almost makes me want to stop watching pro football even worse than when the Falcons were perennial losers. The Falcons board is overloaded so i had to vent.

Let's face it we had all the chances in the world to win so we can't blame the refs. That fieldgoal kicker needs to go, the guy who was returning punts sucks and Micheal Vick "The mind is a terrible thing to waste." I guess Vick can now catch some Hawks games. Heck you might even see him and T.O. sitting in the stands together.

This overall equation just pissed me off so much that it damn near spoiled my X-Mas Eve (not X-Mas):

FALCONS

Poor play calling on critical downs (4th and OT)

Horrible defense throughout the 2nd half

Embarrasing sense of pride/ urgency (last 4 games)

+ Completely disasterous

Sickening losses and shameful fall from contender to pretender in one month. Really crushed my feeling on what the Falcons are capable of accomplishing. SAD.

• Admin

literally, that's how the season has been. Ups and downs, great play followed by absolutely worthless play. In the first 3 quarters, our defense looked all world. Stopping the run, knocking down passes, you name it. Then all of a sudden we can't tackle, we're giving away 10 yard passes with that p*ssy soft zone crap and basically letting them do what htey want.

Apart from the obvious holes on defense and on the O-line that need to be fixed, I think Greg KNapp, needs to go. His play calling and the overall scheme he wants to run, IMO, are ineffective and NOT suited to what Vick does best. It seems to be me that it's doing more to hold vick back than anything. Sure he's not perfect. But he's shown that he's got the touch, range and vision to deliver quality passes down field. Yet he's never allowed to do it.

Owell, seasons over. It was a good one in a lot of ways. But ultimately a disappointment.

Welp, the Falcons seem to have trouble getting stops after

they score... It's like when they get a touchdown you just

know they are going to give it right back up on the defensive end. That's why the ups and downs happen.. They

are often unable to keep things in there favor when they

get ahead.

It didn't seem to happen as much last year... So I don't

know why it's happening this year.

Caddy Williams destroyed the Falcons defense late in the

game and they couldn't get stops.

I think the Falcons could replace Jason Webster and probably

upgrade at the safety spot maybe.

The Falcons have a ways to go. The fact that they were unable to beat a team with a winning record is not good.

I agree Knapp has to go, but the Falcons has to upgrade their personnel. The Falcons need a big play reciever period! That will take a lot of pressure off of Vick to make the perfect pass and take some of the double coverage off of his favorite target Crumpler. After watching the game, I am more in favor of bringing TO in here unless we can hit the jackpot in the off-season. Jenkins and White can be decent 2nd or 3rd option but they do not put any fear in defenses. The lack of a big play receiver just give defenses the freedom to target Vick and make him eat them throwing to his 2nd string recieving staff.

• Moderators

The Falcons do not need to draft another wide receiver. Here are my areas of greatest need:

PRIORITY #1 - Run stuffing defensive tackle. This is so critical to this team that it cannot be underrated.

PRIORITY #2 - Improve the pass blocking. Vick will look a lot better if given even 1 more second in the pocket before the pressure comes.

PRIORITY #3 - Defensive backfield.

As for the game, how can you not go for the score and play 4 down football with very little time left in overtime. Look at the records of the people ahead of you. You aren't going to make the playoffs if you tie. It would take an incredible ride of luck to happen - a lower % option than getting in field goal range.

3rd down and 2. What do you do?

If you are playing 4 down football, then the long pass is not a bad idea. The D is probably stacking the line against you and you may catch them off guard for a big play. It is a low % option, but if you miss you still have a high % option in giving the ball to Vick (not TJ) to pick up the 2 yards by running the ball on 4th down.

If you are planning to punt if you don't get a 1st then DON'T go for a low % play when you'll be putting your opponent in good field position if you don't at least take the ball another 15 yards down field.

If anyone reads TMQ on nfl.com, I'll tip my hat to him and say that when the punt team ran out on the field I said "they just quit on the season."

Mora deserved to get grilled on that decision, IMO. You tell your guys that this is their chance for glory and have them go for it with all their might - not play for a best case scenario tie that is unlikely to do anything for you anyway.

That chopped my hide.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Quote:

I don't ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever want to watch another NFL game like I watched Atlanta vs Tampa the 2nd time today. I honestly wouldn't even care if we won the dam game...

I cannot fathom just how that game went for us. Just cannot comprehend it. We're stopping the run (which is all they have) and driving down the field. Roddy White scores a long TD which is called back (which is a wrong call because he had possession in the end zone). Then we get knocked out of field goal range. Score a TD next time down, good. All of a sudden our defense can't stop the run or 5 yard passes WHEN EVERYONE AND THEIR MOTHER KNEW THAT'S ALL THEY WERE GOING TO DO. Even with 2 1st and 20's because of their holding penalities,they score to tie it.

We get a fumble off of the kickoff return AND MISS A CHIP SHOT! Fortunate enough to have them miss one too. AND THEN FOR THE LOVE OF GOD ON 3RD AND 2 WE THROW A LONG BOMB WITH THE ENTIRE SEASON ON THE LINE!!!i do understand a tie would have kept us alive (but slim chances to none to work).. I could not believe.

Then what happens? You guessed it, they run the ball and throw short passes in the middle to go straight down the field.

Even if we had won that game, I don't ever want to see that again. It almost makes me want to stop watching pro football even worse than when the Falcons were perennial losers. The Falcons board is overloaded so i had to vent.

It's Falcons' luck! Some higher power does not want us to have back2back winning seasons. Both times we played Tampa, we had nothing but back luck. A fumble created by our RB that put TB in position to score and take the lead. Then we get a break on the first play in overtime and somehow, someway, the kicker that only missed one kick throughout the entire season shanks one to end our season/our playoff hopes.