• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

so who are we getting for Al?

gsuteke

if we can't beat Charlotte then there is no sense in keeping him.

a. the possibility of losing him

b. the possibility of having to pay him 10 mil a season.

no need to pull up other posts where i have defended keeping Al. as I said before last night's game i'm jumping off that bandwagon if we lose to Charlotte.

while i thought we had a potential playoff contender after the last 10 days it is obvious i was sorely mistaken. therefore let's get back into the lottery sweepstakes.

adios Al! Bon voyage! Hasta Leugo! Buenos Noches!

unfortunately I haven't heard any deals that really help us much. Watson/Nene is a no go. Watson isn't in the discussion and even Nene has some issues. recent surgery, pending FA, he's called an athletic player but he can't jump. probably not a step in the right direction.

maybe to CHI if they give us the worse of their 2 picks this year. but then again if we wanted draft picks why the hell did we give them away for JJ? hmmm. i digress.

i'm confused. someone smarter than me let me know how this is going to play out.

In the next couple of days we will probably find out for sure if he is in the Artest deal, in which case I would expect Nene and an expirer to come here.

If the Artest deal doesn't go down I would expect him to be dealt to Chicago, possibly for expirers and there own first rounder. BK may wait a little longer on this deal although i hope not.

I feel your pain on the loss of the game, but the last time I looked Charlotte was still in the NBA and can win on a given night as Atlanta did when we upsetted San Antonio.

After the loss last night didn't change our chances of making the payoffs drop that much. We still has some big wins against teams who the experts would say we will not beat. Don't give up on our chances just yet.

As for AL, I think if Watson/Nene were the deal it would have already taken place. Right now the rumor is three to four teams are involved in this trade. I wouldn't be surprised if we get someone who is not even on the radar right now. Whoever it is I hope we are on the screwing end of the deal and not the ones benting over.

• Premium Member

I think if we do get involved with the Artest fiasco.. it will go down something like this:

Al to Indy.

Artest to Denver.

Watson to Seattle.

Nene/Potapenko/Collison to Atlanta...

I know there will be some other players involved, I just don't know who... Indy would want more than Al.

Still, I think the deal is:

Artest to Denver,

Watson/Nene to Sac-Town.

Peja to Indy...

for Al because while he MIGHT become a good player, he wont even be able to play this year (as far as I know) and we will have to get someone in return who can contribute this year otherwise the team is sending the message that we are completely giving up on this year. If we dont get an additional player, then we must get a 1st round pick in this or next years draft.

*Edit - just saw that we would get Collison and Potapenko back in the deal, which I think would make it fair.

I agree.....we can come out of this the big winners. Since Artest showed his ass off and the Pacers have vowed to trade him, they have let it be known they want Harrington back basically since he knows the system. We can use that to get a little extra out of the deal. Teams have been doing this to us for years now it's our turn.

come on guys lets not give up on this yet. all of the deals that are out there don't help us any, so we might as well keep Al and see how this team comes together. the only reason we should make a trade is if its febuary 1st and the hawks don't have a REALISTIC chance of making the playoffs. this and only this would show that the team isn't working, give them half a season to get it together. i think if Al sees himself in a playoff race with the hawks he will stay.

• Premium Member

Quote:

and the hawks don't have a REALISTIC chance of making the playoffs.

Let's be honest and admit that has already happened. This team is NOT making the playoffs. Not sure I'd want them to either, just so they could be crushed by Detroit or Miami in the first round.

As for waiting on Al, what better offers do the Hawks hope to get?

I had hoped Knight learned from the Walker trade that waiting too long can force you to take a worse trade, but...

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/spo...ts/13491670.htm

Quote:

General manager Billy Knight is listening to offers, and he wants draft picks to replace the first-rounders he must send Phoenix as part of the Joe Johnson sign-and-trade.

Can I just shoot myself now?

If the article is true it makes sense in a way. He knows what is going on with the Artest situation so he might as well see what other teams are offering for Al in case the deal doesn't go through.

Basically it tells me he is serious about getting a trade done.

I saw an interview with him once where he mentioned it is much harder to get good bigs so I have to think if he gets the chance to get Nene he will do it.

• Premium Member

We are only 6 games out of the 8th spot... With 56 games to play...

I think it's possible to make the playoffs.

i also think it's better for us if we did make the playoffs.

It helps us in the FA market.

It helps our players confidence.

It gives Phoenix two non-lottery picks this year instead of spreading out 2 picks over the next 2 yrs. I would rather Phoenix get 2 picks in this weak draft than to get a pick in a good one. For as much as I have hyped Rondo, I'm not sure that he or Gibson is coming out this year. Aldrige is not a guarantee either.