• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Any Deal with Golden State Will Include.......

KB21

....Mickael Pietrus and Andris Biedrins, along with a first round pick. The Warriors have multple first round draft picks in 2007, and they are looking like they will be mid to late round picks in the draft.

Pietrus is a long, athletic player that can really defend and shoots the three point shot well. He's 6'6", 220 lbs. Last season, he had a few games where he showed some offensive explosion, and he's simply stuck behind Jason Richardson at Golden State. Pietrus would likely come in and partner up with Joe Johnson in the backcourt.

Biedrins is another long, athletic player that Billy Knight really liked in the 2004 draft. He's 6'11", 245 lbs, is a quick leaper, has good touch around the basket, and is an above average rebounder. His versatility and potential is what caught Billy's eye.

The latest that I've read that's coming out of Golden State suggests that they have told Murphy's agent that they are not looking to deal him. They also do not want to deal Ike Diogu. They are willing to deal Pietrus and Biedrins though, as well as one of their first round picks to get Artest.

That deal is infinitely better then a deal for Murphy and Fischer. The big negative with that deal is that is exacerbates the already overcrowded shooting guard position unless they play Pietrus at forward, in which case there is the same longjam problem.

The team would be ludicruosly young though, which is not really a good thing.

Well, if there is legitimate talk going on between the three teams, then there are probably more players that will be involved. Pietrus could be headed to either Atlanta or Indiana.

I don't think Murphy is involved, unless Chris Mullin just flat out lied to Fegan. Golden State has a large trade exception though, so they can make a Murphy deal work. I think Indiana would be the team interested in Murphy, but if they can get Al, there is no need for Murphy.

I believe Billy would jump all over the chance to get a versatile big man like Andris Biedrins though. If he could also get Jeff Foster from Indiana in this deal, I believe he would do it.

• Premium Member

Quote:
I don't think Murphy is involved, unless Chris Mullin just flat out lied to Fegan. Golden State has a large trade exception though, so they can make a Murphy deal work. I think Indiana would be the team interested in Murphy, but if they can get Al, there is no need for Murphy.

While I don't disagree, I can't seem to make a trade work in the trade checker without Murphy. Biedrins+Pietrus isn't enough...

• Premium Member

Quote:
Does the deal work if you take into account GS's trade exemption?

You can't combine a trade exception with players to make up the difference in salaries. So, no, it doesn't work.

• Premium Member

Quote:
hrow in Calbert Cheany. That's the name that I've read will be included to make salaries work.

Cheaney works, but a 3 for 1 for 1 is strange...

Where are you reading this, KB?

• Premium Member

KB, I was able to work out another version, just in case it's Indy who's panicking:

Harrington, Pietrus to Indy

Cheaney, Biedrins, F. Jones to Atlanta

Artest to Golden State

(Jones and Cheaney are FA's who could be waived if necessary. It's Biedrins who I'd want).

I know that BK really wanted Pietrus a couple of years back in the draft and some of us thought he might have fallen to us, instead we get lazy Diaw.

The first would be great so that we can give up the later pick to Phoenix and not go without a pick next year.

This still seems like an awful lot for them to get Artest ... not talent wise ... but definitely risk wise. They could be giving away 3 potential starters for a guy that could do something stupid and never play again.

I would love to get Biedrins and Pietrus. In fact, I almost couldn't imagine a (realistic) better scenario. Here's what Jon Hollinger had to say about Biedrins and Pietrus in his scouting report book:

Quote:

Andris Biedrins:

I was very high on this guy coming out of the draft and nothing that happened last year changed my opinion. He's five months younger than Dwight Howard, yet his Rebound Rate and field-goal percentage indicate he can hang with the big boys. Plus, unlike a lot of Euros, Biedrins loves to play inside and has the physique to do it.

Perhaps the biggest surprise was his defensive competence. Biedrins is strong enough to defend post players and has the agility to provide plenty of help on the screen-and-roll. As he learns NBA defensive concepts, he figures to be a strong performer at both ends, with his rebounding providing an added boost. It will be interesting to see if he can wrest the starting center job away from Foyle this season, but even if he doesn't, keep an eye on this guy. In a few years he could be a star.

Mickael Pietrus:

Pietrus is an intriguing player because of his ability to defend and shoot 3-pointers, so it's puzzling that he didn't see more playing time. Offensively, he came on like gangbusters late in the season, shooting 6-for-6 on 3s in a late-season win over Phoenix and posting two 25-point games in April. He's developed a knack for shooting the long ball coming off a curl, and although his overall percentage on 3s was only 34.4 percent, he was making them at a much higher clip down the stretch.

Pietrus also has become much less passive offensively, as seen by the increase in his Usage Rate. He went to the rim more often and substantially improved his rate of free-throw attempts as a result. He's athletic enough to do damage on the drive, but needs to improve his off-the-dribble game and drop fewer passes. Additionally, his free-throw stroke needs work.

Long-term, Pietrus' best asset may be his defense. He's long, athletic, and can defend any of the perimeter positions, which should make him the team's stopper before long. Considering his offensive improvement, he's no longer a liability at either end of the floor, so he doesn't need to progress much further to claim a starting job.