• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Woodson takes blame for Smith not playing?

mrhonline

• Premium Member

Or did he?

Quote:
Hawks coach Mike Woodson said it was an oversight by the coaching staff that led to Josh Smith playing just six minutes in the second half of Tuesday night's home loss to Boston. "That's on me," Woodson said. "I got so wrapped up in the game and trying to manage the guys that were on the floor."

At least he's admitting it, but...an "oversight?"

Jeezum man, that's terrible. Nothing against Woodson personally, but how the hell can you and your assistants have 'oversights' like that? To me that is reflective of disorganization and just general overall cluelessness. I mean c'mon- this is the friggin NBA here, not 7th grade JV ball.

In my opinion that's just not acceptable, and really he and his coaches need to at some point be held accountable for that. If you can't manage a game any better than that....well, I would think the writing would have to be on the wall.

The NBA is more about match-ups than X's/O's. This may explain some questionable substitution patterns this year, and the perception by many that Woodson is missing something as an NBA caliber coach.

I hate to be saying these things about Mike because I used to go to school with him. I'm just going to watch the chips fall where they may.

Quote:

That is just totally unacceptable! We need a veteran coach in here that will at least have a clue of what we need on the floor in particular situations!

Yea, you pay a guy millions to manage a team and put together a staff....yet none of them can remember to play your best post defender in a close game that we had a great chance to win.

Woodson is just putting the nails in his coaching coffin, thats all I have to say about it.

At least he was willing to admit it, but an oversight like that is bad enough for one coach. But to think that none of them were aware of it......wtf are these guys getting paid to do?! That is so lame.

I am sure that the hangover from that loss is a big reason they didn't show up tonight.

Sometimes I wonder how quotes like this happen. Perhaps Woody actually had a reason for keeping him on the bench he didn't want to share. Like a student who is making an excuse, maybe this is the first thing that came to mind. Could it be an order from the ownership to make a comment like this?

Somehow simply forgetting about a player doesn't make sense. What really happend we'll have to guess.

I've tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, but this is worse than when Lon Kruger and his staff didn't even know the NBA rules on that play at halfcourt a few years ago.

That's just pathetic. How is this team going to grow if the coach forgets the players on the bench? Yeah, give him credit for admitting it, but it only shows the real problem with this team.

Billy Knight is really on the spot. He better not screw up any pending Al Harrington trade. It could be a pivotal point in the Hawks' history. He must get good value for this guy, since Harrington has proved he's pretty damn good.

But Woodson? After that admission in the paper, he needs to be fired. That's just inexcuseable.

• Premium Member

Let's give the repost of what I got flamed for yesterday...

Quote:

4th qtr, Hawks hanging to the lead.

Herb: Maybe you ought to put Josh back in the game.

Woody: How many minutes have Joshed played?

Herb: Somewhere about 20?

Woody: Is it 19 or is it 20?

Herb: We're losing the lead, we need some defense out there.

Woody: We have to play 4 games in the next 5 days, I want everybody fresh.

Herb: What about winning one game at a time.

Josh: Coach, put me in.

Woody: Herb is it 19 or 20?

Herb: 20.

Woody: Done deal.

Herb: How about Delk playing.

Woody: (Blank expression).

Meanwhile, Scalibrine slides past #10 for a putback.

I guess he did forgot about that extra 6 minutes in the set rotation?

• Premium Member

I was willing to wait til the offseason to see if we can get Alderman... But we need to get a Vet coach in here right now.

My Short list:

PJ Carlisimo (210) 651-4578

Paul Silas

Lenny Wilkens (206) 768-2557

Eric Mussleman (414) 325-3541

Quote:

I was willing to wait til the offseason to see if we can get Alderman... But we need to get a Vet coach in here right now.

My Short list:

PJ Carlisimo (210) 651-4578

Paul Silas

Lenny Wilkens (206) 768-2557

Eric Mussleman (414) 325-3541

You mean Rick Adelman? One of the all time choke artists in NBA history? No thanks.

Of all the candidates you mentioned, Silas is probably the best candidate, but he couldn't even coah a team with the best player in the NBA, so I don't even think he is the answer. Fratello would have been my ideal candidate, but he's taken.

• Moderators

Plus, we don't have Silas' phone number.

This is one of many bad quotes from Woody. I don't remember it verbatim but my favorite was after one of our losses early on where we blew a lead late he said 'I don't know how that happens'

I think its more disturbing that he'd admit to forgetting to put one of his starters in when the game was on the line rather than just saying he like the way the 5 on the floor were playing. I don't give him credit for admitting it. He's the leader of the team he needs to project confidence and competence in public.

• Premium Member

Woody has been saying headscratchers since he got here.

"I'm not here to motivate players. Players should have their own motivation.".

"I don't know how that happens"

" Josh not playing was an oversight".

Hawks Head Coach Mike Woodson:

“They were the aggressive team all night, I thought. From the beginning they set the tone and our first unit was just awful to start the game. I thought our second unit came back and got us back in the game. Then I went back to some of the first unit guys, and it didn’t get any better. The fourth quarter was just atrocious. We didn’t get anything accomplished.”

(On his ejection): “I’d had enough and I wanted to go to the locker room.” (On the Wizards): “This team keeps the pressure on you all night. They get up the floor, they pressure three-quarter court. That didn’t seem to hurt us a lot. We couldn’t make shots. We got into a jump shooting mode, and they were taking the ball to the bucket. That’s why the free throws were so off balance tonight.”

This was from last years 122-93 beating.

Mean words from the chicago tribune a few days ago:

Quote:

- Atlanta's Mike Woodson. Another nice guy, like Weiss, who seems like a Peter Principle victim, promoted above his competency level.