• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Should the Hawks start planning for the '07 draft?

Packfill

Just wondering since the '06 draft is not looking great, maybe the Hawks should start making plans with the 2007 draft in mind so they can land a true franchise talent like Oden.

Sure does suck when your team sucks at the wrong time. This is why Kiki and others are better GMs then BK, they plan it so they suck in a year when an LBJ is available.

If we finish dead last, I'd do it this way...

We owe Phoenix two first round picks. We already know that they are going to get the pick we aquired from Boston for Antoine Walker. I think the easiest way to get another pick is to trade our first overall 2nd round pick and cash to whomever picks last in the first round. That pick would then become the property of the Phoenix Suns. Therefore, Phoenix gets their 2 first round picks this year and we've satisfied the provisions of the JJ trade. The '06 draft doesn't look near as deep as last year's draft and I doubt we'll be getting anyone that would make a siginificant impact at that spot anyway. We'll go into '07 with a clean slate and all of our picks.

Quote:

If we finish dead last, I'd do it this way...

We owe Phoenix two first round picks. We already know that they are going to get the pick we aquired from Boston for Antoine Walker. I think the easiest way to get another pick is to trade our first overall 2nd round pick and cash to whomever picks last in the first round. That pick would then become the property of the Phoenix Suns. Therefore, Phoenix gets their 2 first round picks this year and we've satisfied the provisions of the JJ trade. The '06 draft doesn't look near as deep as last year's draft and I doubt we'll be getting anyone that would make a siginificant impact at that spot anyway. We'll go into '07 with a clean slate and all of our picks.

damn. that's good.

That is an AMAZING idea.

You know it's gonna be Detroit or San Antonio, so why not trade that 2nd rounder & Cenk Ankyol or David Andersen for the last pick in the 1st and give it to the Suns!

I love it, Billy Knight could learn something from you!

i also love that idea of FIRING THE DUMB$HIT COACH AND GM RIGHT THE FARK NOW!!!!

Thank you. C'mon guys, don't you think Phoenix would have thought of that. It's easy to get a late first round pick, and they are many times worthless.

However, this is an interesting topic. How many teams do you think will "prepare" to draft Oden? I admit I have had thoughts about the Hawks trying to get him, and the only way to do that is to get the first pick through the lottery.

I wonder what it would have taken to get Dwight Howard? Perhaps we should have given up a nice package to get him.

• Moderators

Quote:

We owe Phoenix the pick from Boston and our OWN pick, even if we trade for another first round pick, we still owe Phoenix the pick from Boston and our own pick.

Seriously, do you guys think Phoenix is that stupid? Trading for our pick has high value. Trading for any first round pick has much less value. The Suns traded for our pick not just any first rounder.

Likewise, they traded for the Bos/LA pick and if that pick never materialized for some reason we wouldn't owe them anything just like we won't owe anything if the Philly pick never develops into an actual draft pick.

the pick is still protected in 2007. it's either top 5 or top 3.

hell why are we even talking about this? IF Billy Knight does his job he will secure a point that can D up his man and 2 bigs that are big down low defenders this offseason. if that is done the Hawks won't be anywhere near the top 5 worst records in the NBA.

we are cursed as fans. during the Hawks 2 year lottery run the top of the draft is the weakest it probably has ever been. oh well. win some games and move on is what I say.

Quote:

we are cursed as fans. during the Hawks 2 year lottery run the top of the draft is the weakest it probably has ever been.

Agreed. They are deep drafts, but with no clear studs at the top. And the age limit hits this year to prevent us from having a shot at Oden. LOL

Oh well

Oh and the pick is top 3 protected in 07

The big problem with pinning our hopes on getting the first pick is...even if we have the worst record...our overall chance of picking #1 is 25%. That's like flipping a coin and calling heads...then if it IS heads you have to do it again and get heads a 2nd time. The odds are against you.