• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I asked Marc Stein the Al Harrington Question ...

greg__7

I posted this for Marc Stein to answer:

Greg (Atlanta, GA): Marc - big win for the Hawks last night over the Knicks. What do you see them doing with Al Harrington or any other possible moves before the deadline? Seems like if they are going to let him go, they need a PG or big man in return. What do you think? Also, Tony Delk is supposidly healthy and has been inactive all year. What are they going to do with him?

Marc Stein: (11:44 AM ET ) They want picks. Multiple firsts. They also think they can get more for Harrington in the summer. But it's not inconceivable that Atlanta will get a good offer in the next 20-plus days. They've told Al they want to re-sign him but I agree that it's more likely he gets moved. It's simply more likely in July than now.

I was disappointed he didn't mention anything about Delk. Man, why aren't we even trying to use him? Just don't really get it. he says he's healthy.

Also, I was alittle surprised to hear that were trying to get multiple #1's. I agree they are valuable, but utlimately we CAN'T get younger. We need a PG or Big Man, and I would think Al could get one of those. Even if we package another pick or player.

Quote:

Also, I was alittle surprised to hear that were trying to get multiple #1's. I agree they are valuable, but utlimately we CAN'T get younger.

Yeah I was surprised about that too.

Congrats for getting on. You question has been posted a couple of times already I think.

Quote:

I was disappointed he didn't mention anything about Delk. Man, why aren't we even trying to use him? Just don't really get it. he says he's healthy.

there was no need for him to 'speculate' on this

we already know the answer from bk himself

they (bk/woody) feel that delk duplicates much of slim's assets and since slim is our long-term player, they didn't wanna cut into his minutes by having delk play

i'm sure they'll either trade him to someone before the deadline or else they'll cut him so he can sign with a contender

Crusing through the message boards of other NBA teams that are potential trade partners for Al and they seem to hold him with higher regard than many of the posts here. Chicago, Golden State and others see him as an important addition to their teams. Sounds like too many posters are selling his value short?

The grass is always is always greener on the other side of the mountain. (unless BK is the GM)

Quote:

Crusing through the message boards of other NBA teams that are potential trade partners for Al and they seem to hold him with higher regard than many of the posts here. Chicago, Golden State and others see him as an important addition to their teams. Sounds like too many posters are selling his value short?

The grass is always is always greener on the other side of the mountain. (unless BK is the GM)

God let's hope that other teams do value him more than we do. I would trade Al for Jeremis Smith right now.

Quote:

The fans of the teams watch all the games and see the flaws.

Look at the Bucks. You would think that the Bogut-Magloire frontcourt would work well. Apparently that hasn't been the case. They have been getting torched by quality 4s all season. At least that is what the fans are saying.

They say that they have no atheticism in their frontcourt which allows people to drive and finish before their bigs can react.

They are also complaining about opposing point guards abusing them. Sounds kinda familiar.

I am sure the Hawks are asking for multi picks just to ask for him. I doubt they expect to get multi picks in return.

GS is said to be ready to make a major deal. I hope Mullin and BK are working a deal out. I have no idea what GS would send us if they did make a trade. Surely Murphy or Biedrins might be involved.

• Premium Member

The truth of the matter is that many of the Hawks fans on the trade Al bandwagon here are on it to justify us picking Marvin. That's the real truth. They feel that somehow Al is responsible for Marvin not playing even though Marvin is a Sf and Al is a Pf(most of the time). They want to "give the young players a chance". These are the same people who said that Marvin is better than Paul or Deron. Now, instead of eating crow, they want to blame the structure of the Hawks for Marvin's shortcomings.

I was watching Marvin play the other night and this guy is still not in shape. I was wondering How can that BE??

The proof to what I'm saying is in the truth...

The truth is that:

1. We would get more in trade for Al in a SNT.

Yes, we get more. Teams are less likely to give up a lot for a rental. Would you want the Hawks trading it's lottery pick for a rental? Let's say Kobe was about to be an UFA and the Lakers were willing to trade him to us for 2 1st rounders (including our lottery pick) and JJ; would you do it? I hope the answer is hell no. Because as great as it would be to get Kobe here, if he's a UFA, if he doesn't like our team, he's gone and there's nothing we can do to stop him.

2. Al and BK has a good working relationship

There have been some who has tried to suggest that Al really wants out of Atlanta and that as soon as FAcy comes, he will walk. I doubt that seriously. The only vet players who walk on their Bird holding team are those who are upset with the front office of that team or those who have no relationship with that team. BK drafted Al. BK knows Al, BK traded for Al. BK will work to get Al the Best SNT deal if we're dealing him. Al is not going to give up his Bird Rights All of the sudden.... Not on his last contract.

3. None of our young guys are ready to step up and play consistently

I would say of them all Chillz is the most ready. Because Chillz does what he does CONSISTENTLY. Smoove is inconsistent. Marvin is inconsistent.

4. Many here don't realize the pressure Al takes off of everybody else.

I bet JJ knows. When Al is playing, JJ doesn't have to face double teams. Al and JJ has very good chemistry (inside outside). But if you can't get consistency out of the other guys, then don't expect much.

5. Other teams work through the weakness of a player

Al's perceived weakness is defense. If all you ever do is look at the stats, it would seem that way. However, these fans of other teams know that if they just plug Al into their situations, that his offense can be a great value and his defense can be covered up by good team defense. We have a bad team defense and we want to blame one guy. The other night I saw that one guy playing fairly good defense on Nash. The other night, I saw that one guy making sure that Gooden didn't get good post position. What the numbers say is that it's guards that are able to put up high scoring nights (mostly from the perimeter) on our defense. Moreover, teams shoot a high percentage against us. That's not one person. That's a bad defensive team.

BK was trying to acquire another second round pick in the draft this past year to take Monta Ellis, the 6'3" combo guard from Jackson-Lanier HS in Jackson, MS.

I've been told that BK is still very interested in Monta because he believes Monta will develop into a dynamic point guard.

Now, I doubt Monta would be the centerpiece of the deal, but I believe any deal with Golden State will have to include Monta Ellis.

Golden State may be willing to give us Andris Biedrins and Monta Ellis for Al Harrington. Of course, some salary issues will have to be bridged, but if they can bridge them, then Golden State will be a nice trading partner.

There's about to be a bidding war over Al though. A lot of teams want to get him to make that playoff push and to acquire his Bird rights.

BK and Al's "working relationship" won't amount to a hill of beans.

BK had they opportunity to send Al to Indiana and didn't do it. Who do you think Al would rather be playing for this year? Indy is a playoff team and Al is best freinds with their top player and is popular among the other players.

BK had the chance to send him there straight up for Artest and again with a 3rd team involved. It would have been in Al's best interest to go to indy and possibly increase his value by playing well in the playoffs.

This summer Al will do what is his best interests. That is what free agents do. This nonsense about "he won't walk because he is friends with BK" is a joke. He will go wherever he wants to go, whether it includes a SNT from the Hawks or not.

Quote:

There's a bunch of noise on the GS blog about trading Murphy. He would be a big man and Ellis could be included for a p.g. Any takers on this one?

No. Murphy is a very good rebounder and can shoot to a degree, but the Hawks need some tough minded interior defenders. I don't think Murphy is that guy.

Monta Ellis is a throw-in, the Hawks already have three similar players on their roster in Salim, Lue and Delk. He serves no purpose.

Quote:

No. Murphy is a very good rebounder and can shoot to a degree, but the Hawks need some tough minded interior defenders. I don't think Murphy is that guy.

Monta Ellis is a throw-in, the Hawks already have three similar players on their roster in Salim, Lue and Delk. He serves no purpose.

Agree on both points.

• Premium Member

So you somehow believe that giving up on his bird rights on his last big contract is "in his interest"...

This is the stupidity that you present to people as fact??

The SNT benefits both the Hawks AND AL... SO his best interest my friend is to work out a SNT with us. In fact, IF he did Walk, he just opens the door for us to spend more money on Nene or whoever because then we don't have to worry about trade. So us doing a SNT is really a favor to Al. Not him doing a favor for us.