• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Al rumor

TheRedStripes

I read this on realgm, apparently it was reported in the Miami Herald

Al for Ben Gordon and Piatkowski

we all know the bulls want harrrington, sort of makes sense

I made an argument yesterday that JJ is a good enough playmaker to be a point guard, the main argument i got was that JJ doesn't want that title and can't guard smaller quick point guards, well Ben Gordon can and while he isn't a true point guard, he does have the ball handling ablility to bring the ball up and with him and JJ playing together there would be plenty enough playmaking ability, not to mention that duo could light up the scoreboard in a hurry.

Id like to see a draft pick involved in this too, perhaps we could give the bulls our 2nd rounder in the deal as well and take their pick which will be a lower first rounder than the knicks pick

Another rumor has the Hawks sending Delk to Miami, but there wasn't anything mentioned about what the Hawks would get in return

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well ive been reading all year long that Ben Gordon and Scott Skiles don't particularly like each other, and they have Duhon that can play point with Hinrich at the 2, it's been rumored for a long time they want harrington, they have the money to resign him in the offseason, if they made the trade now they would have his bird rights and would be in the drivers seat to resign him, they can't get Al for nothing, and while gordon is a good player, he is expendable because of Hinrich and Duhon

And they can't trade us Duhon because he would have to agree to the deal since they matched his contract offer, and I think theres no way Duhon would want to come here.3

Gordon isn't their best player either, that would be Hinrich

I can't see Chicago doing this. They could do better in a Gordon trade.

Why would they give up Gordon for someone they could sign in the offseason?

The only possible reason would be to clear more cap room but Gordon is on his rookie contract so he isn't making a lot.

Doesn't make sense.

Perhaps they gave in to starting Gordon to showcase him for a trade? it's been rumored all season long he wanted to get out of Chicago, and besides, they need Harrington more than they need Gordon...Duhon and Hinrich play well together at the guard positions, with AL in the mix they could be a serious playoff contender

I dont think Chicago can just sign him in the offseason as the Hawks will have the option to do a sign and trade for him.

I would be happy with the deal, but I honestly want a TRUE point guard...haven't seen that much of Ben but I hear he's a really good player.

WE will see!!!

Quote:

I dont think Chicago can just sign him in the offseason as the Hawks will have the option to do a sign and trade for him.

You are forgetting that Al is an UNRESTRICTED free agent. That means after the season he can sign where he wants and Chicago is far enough under the cap that they could sign him easily if they wanted to.

Quote:

but we have his bird rights so we can do a sign and trade in the offseason for Al if he wants more money. Chicago may not want to take the chance of him/us doing that. This way they can sign him for the most amount of money.

Exactly, and I'm sure there will be teams willing to do a sign and trade for Al, and since Al and BK seem to have a good relationship, it doesn't make sense to think that Al wouldn't help BK and himself by using that to get the max amount he can possibly get.

The only real benefits to Al for doing a sign and trade is that it allows him to go to a team over the cap and he gets an extra year.

The extra 5% raises aren't a big deal because he isn't a max player. They could just offer a higher starting salary and our advanteage in the raises wouldn't matter.

His Bird rights really have no relevance when talking about Chicago.

The Bird Rights didn't keep Hughes in Washington last year, and he was playing on a playoff team and was very popular there. He liked playing there and said repeatedly that he intended to resign.

Yeah. He's unrestricted, but only a fool would think that Al is going to take 10% less in money and one year less in length just to leave Atlanta.

If this goes to the offseason, Al Harrington won't leave Atlanta without a sign and trade. He won't settle for a 5 year deal when he can get a 6 year deal by going through the Hawks.

Exodus...i realize you don't think this trade will happen, and you are probably right, it's just a rumor some guy for the miami herald made up, but...i'm just curious as to what you would think of a JJ/Gordon backcourt...

you have stated that JJ isn't a point guard, and i can see where you are coming from, but would a combination of JJ and Gordon work in your opinion?

Frankly I haven't seen enough of Gordon to know how his point guard skills are. Obviously he has been playing the 2 there and been stuck guarding other 2s, so it would be difficult to project how he would work here.

I would do the trade in a second if it was available.

Quote:

Yeah. He's unrestricted, but only a fool would think that Al is going to take 10% less in money and one year less in length just to leave Atlanta.

That is what people said about Hughes and they were wrong, just like you are.

And no it won't be 10% less in money, that is ridiculous.On a per year basis he will be getting whatever the market will bear.

He will just be losing a year.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The extra 5% raises aren't a big deal because he isn't a max player. They could just offer a higher starting salary and our advanteage in the raises wouldn't matter.

Nonesense....

Pure Nonesense.

Al or any free agent with Bird rights would rather use them than to sign with another team without them...especially FAs in Al's position (last major contract, good relationship with the front office)..

Luefan#10.. You're talking nonesense.

• Premium Member

I think the backcourt would definitely lack a playmaker. However, playmakers are hard to find.

Historically, JJ is in the same position as Alan Houston was leaving Detroit. A very good shooter, a good ball handler, but not a franchise superstar going to a team. What NY did to make Houston work is that they matched him up with Charlie Ward and Chris Child. On occassion they would move him to the 3 or the 1 and play John Starks. The point is that when you consider what made Houston better was a guy named Charlie Ward who is only remember for getting the heisman and skipping to basketball. Ward wasn't a great PG, he wasn't a great scorer, but he was very solid and could hit the open shot. I think Ben Gordon might be a bit too much of a JT clone to be what we need. I would personally like to see us make a move for a more mainstream PG but like I said, they are hard to find.

I think Gordon is a bigger version of Salim and Lue. The key is that Gordon has value. If we got Gordon, I would really want Salim traded because he has value too. I think if we get Gordon, I would look into trading Salim to the West. Maybe to Phoenix... for PF prospect.