• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Next year we send Marvin to the dunk contest!

Blunt91

I think it's time Josh Smith moved on to other things, he has had 2years in it and that's enough. IMO I think Marvin might be a better dunker because he has better handles and I think he has bigger hands than smoove. It would be cool to have Marv in the dunk contest and rookie/sophomore game and Salim in the 3poointcontest. I told you guys last year that Nate would give Josh a run for his money and he won the thing. Even though I want a Hawk to win next year if they send Marv or Smoove I am betting Guillermo Diaz takes the title from Nate.

The dunk contest represents everything that is wrong with the NBA. The emphasis on individuals above the team, flash over winning, etc. It takes great athleticism to win the dunk contest, but not a great basketball player. (That's why the international teams have been kicking the NBA's butt. Our players are better individually, but we forgot how to play as a team.)

I have been MUCH more impressed with how Smoove played on the court this year than the fact he won the dunk contest. The kid is growing up.

yeti

Quote:

The dunk contest represents everything that is wrong with the NBA. The emphasis on individuals above the team, flash over winning, etc. It takes great athleticism to win the dunk contest, but not a great basketball player.

Did it represent everything that is wrong with the NBA back when Jordan and Nique were battling for the title? This is a show, for the fans. Is the All-Star game wrong too, since it is all about the best individuals that make the team. At least there wont be any show boating(flash) in the actual game. laugh.gif

Quote:

now that is funny I like MARVIN, yeah he may have bigger hands and all that but he is no where near a better dunker than SMITH they both need to concentrate on improving their games the DUNK CONTEST is not that important

Have you seen any of Marvin's dunks in the past? Probably not so you can't say he is the better dunker just because he can jump a little higher than Marv. and you all would care if Josh had of won the contest. Just making up excuses.

• Premium Member

I know that the NBA is trying hard to push the slam dunk contest to what it used to be and this setup last night was a part of it, but really, the Greatest of all time was Vince Carter.

When you think that he has only been in ONE Slam Dunk contest, it really makes you think how dominant he was.

I just hope Josh Smith doesn't go out like Fred Jones/Des Mason did.

• Premium Member

I would almost agree, but then that Jordan guy comes into the picture...

Now Jordan robbed Nique in Chicago..

However, you have to give credit to Jordan for the "leaner" or "Kiss the rim"....

I think Jason Richardson is another example of how to be creative.

However, it will take somebody like Smoove taking off from the tape way outside OR Somebody doing a three sixty from the foul line before the new era of dunks come in.

However, in my heart I wonder, how many of these pencil necked geeks can actually come out and dunk 2 basketballs at once?

robbed by the judges, not robbed by Jordan

AI got robbed on Saturday as well

Marvin has nice dunks and dunks with authority, but he's not in Josh Smith's class as a dunk contest contender. We forget how money Josh was last year.

Marvin is like LeBron, almost always uses the same signature dunk. For Marvin its his tomahawk.

• Admin

one contest or not, the guy has three of the best 5 dunks EVER.

I would love to see the big names get into it again and stop being a bunch of pussies about it all. If you're creative and can dunk, get out there and show everyone what you can do. When you average 25+/5/5 nobody is ever going to say "all he can do is dunk".

They also need to get technical about the way they judge these things. Give them points based on showmanship, timing, power, difficulty, etc and then total them up. That's why Carters dunks were so great. He had a near perfect combination of all those things.

Nique was way up there, but I still say Doctor J was the greatest dunker I have ever seen. He's the one that revolutionized it all. I will never forget being a litttle kid and watching him go airborne just past the half-court line, and stay airborne all the way to the basket- where he slammed it. That was a first. Man, what a player.

basketball_vp_erving_pv.jpg