• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

AJC has Al's picture . . . no article???????

DrReality

Al Harrington

Associated Press

IS THE FUTURE NOW?

With the trade deadline in two days, Al Harrington's (3) name has been frequently mentioned as a possible candidate to move to another team.

Guess all that speculation that Sekou had some inside info about a trade was just that, speculation. Looks like the AJC lays an egg again.

Choice ahead on Harrington

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 02/21/06

Auburn Hills, Mich. — Hawks co-captain Al Harrington's immediate future won't be clear until after 5 p.m. Thursday.

That's the day and time of the NBA's trade deadline, independence day for players on the move as well as those not going anywhere.

The freedom comes from an end to the nonstop speculation about what might happen, particularly for those players who aren't going anywhere.

And as of this morning, Harrington isn't going anywhere.

"I'm not even sweating that stuff," Harrington said after the Hawks wrapped up practice at Oakland University on Monday night in preparation for tonight's game against Detroit. "There's no need for that. I know who I am as a player and that I have a job to do for the next 32 games, whether that's in an Atlanta Hawks uniform or some other uniform.

"I'm a pro, first and foremost, so everything else has its place."

Harrington, whose name has been prominent in trade rumors since draft night, will be one of the most coveted free agents at season's end.

Playing in a contract year, Harrington has been putting up career bests in points (18.3) and rebounds (6.9) while helping the 16-34 Hawks blow past their win total for all of last season (13). And despite what the NBA rumor mill says, his right knee is the picture of health.

Still, there is a dilemma for the Hawks, who figure to be a major player on the free-agent market this summer. They have to decide if and how Harrington fits into their future plans — they have a surplus of small forwards with Josh Smith, Josh Childress and Marvin Williams all eager for minutes.

They also have to decide what price they are willing to pay for a player with a tag expected to exceed $45 million-$50 million over five years. Harrington's current deal pays him $6.8 million this season.

"Sometimes the best things in life [are] right in your face and hopefully Atlanta has the foresight to recognize that," said Harrington's agent, Andy Miller. "The Hawks have what 29 other teams are looking for and they've had the luxury of watching him play with them and getting to know him for almost two years now.

"I don't think Al has a peer in this free-agent class when you consider that here is a guy that gives you 20 [points] and eight [rebounds] every night, is just 26 years old and 6-foot-9. There are few players in the league who possess that particular combination of production and skills."

Hawks coach Mike Woodson realizes it's a matter that might not be resolved until after this season, depending on what happens between now and Thursday.

"That's something that Al, our ownership and [Hawks general manager] Billy [Knight] will work through," Woodson said. "Right now there is nothing on the table as far as a trade. And even if there was, Al is an Atlanta Hawk right now. And we like what he's about.

"Al will be one of the top free agents, there's no doubt about that. So we do have to weigh that when you start evaluating the young guys and where Al fits into the picture. The bottom line is that Al is a quality piece to what we're trying to do here, and I don't think you can throw that out the window."

Yet, finding a way to keep Harrington and develop Smith, Williams and Childress at the same time will always be a hurdle. The fight for quality minutes will only get more intense as the youngsters continue to mature.

The Hawks are still in need of major help inside — two more big men would take the pressure off of Zaza Pachulia and the rest of the undersized frontcourt rotation — and could also use a veteran point guard.

Harrington, with his expiring contract and potential impact on a veteran-laden playoff team, would appear to be the ideal bargaining chip to make something happen.

"I've always tried to let my performance and my professionalism, both on and off the floor, speak for me," said Harrington, who's helped the Hawks win five of their past eight games. "I know a lot has been said and a lot will continue to be said about me and my situation. But that stuff is irrelevant to me. My focus is on finishing these last 32 games like we've played the last eight.

"Everything else will work itself out the way it was intended to work out."

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/h.../0221hawks.html

• Premium Member

Just speculation here....

but

Quote:

"Sometimes the best things in life [are] right in your face and hopefully Atlanta has the foresight to recognize that," said Harrington's agent, Andy Miller. "The Hawks have what 29 other teams are looking for and they've had the luxury of watching him play with them and getting to know him for almost two years now.

That doesn't sound like an agent speaking for somebody who wants to get out of town... In fact, that sounds like an agent of a player who wants to stay. Try to correct me if I'm wrong...

Also...

Quote:

They also have to decide what price they are willing to pay for a player with a tag expected to exceed $45 million-$50 million over five years. Harrington's current deal pays him $6.8 million this season.

When you look at what Sekou has put out.. He said expected to exceed 5 yrs 45-50 million. So let's use the high end. 5 yrs 50 million. That's Al's agent's expectation. That makes it easy for BK. This has to be what the agent has heard from other teams.

If I'm BK, I'm offering 6 yrs 56.5 million. I have probably said more, but hearing his agent say his high end is 50 million makes this an easy offer. It's more than he could get with his next 2 contracts. It's fair according to his agent's expectations. It's a number that the Hawks can certainly live with. It's a very tradable contract for somebody who is 26 years old and can get you 18/8.

That is what he is averaging over his last 4 years, starting with his 5th year in Indy where he got 30 minutes a game. In Indy he played with a strong team who had other strong offensive options. Here he has played with a weak team without many other offensive options. Putting those 4 years together he was averaging 34 minutes.

So what can the Hawks expect from Al as the team gets better? if they resign him they will probably be playing them more at the 3 so his rebounding will go down some. So they can probably expect about 15/6, not the 20/8 that his delusional agent proclaims.

I don't like it, but I think you're right in how you read this. It still sounds like Al and his agent like the situation. And I would guess that BK still likes Al. I don't like it, but I get the feeling that Al will be re-signed. I just hope it's a small contract that can be traded easily, or that someone offers us a crazy trade or SNT deal that changes BK's mind

This could set up a SnT. It sounds to me like a grab for $s. The agent is inflating the numbers (20/8) and says how many teams would want that. The point is Al is at 18/6.7. Not bad but should be better rebounding. We all agree his defense is below avg.

If a trade presents itself for a rebounding big, eg someone that gives you 14/10 and plays good defense then you make that trade; otherwise hold off until the offseason and get do an SnT.

Quote:

So what can the Hawks expect from Al as the team gets better? if they resign him they will probably be playing them more at the 3 so his rebounding will go down some. So they can probably expect about 15/6, not the 20/8 that his delusional agent proclaims.

One thing they can expect at the very least - and this is my main reason for wanting to keep Al instead of trading him - is that he's putting up 18/7 right now and can do so until Marvin is ready to step up and produce similar or better numbers and provide much better defense.

Taking those numbers out of the equation right now would be taking a step back when this summer was when we saw our team taking what resembles steps forward.

I also agree that as our team gets better, Al's numbers will definitely decrease as his role gets reduced. But until that time arrives I think it's better that we stick with the known commodity unless we are getting another piece of the puzzle in return (which should also be a known commodity and nothing resembling a project or potential).

I don't think signing Al to a 6 year contract works out perfectly because I don't think it will take Marvin half that time to get into the swing of things, but that's a risk that I'd be ok with the team taking. It's not like he can't be traded later.

• Premium Member

True the agent did inflate Al's scoring/rebounding...

But notice the dollar figure he put on Al? I think he realizes that the market is not going to yield a 5 yr 50 million dollar deal for Al. I think he sees that Al is more likely to get Maggette type money.

I would resign Al between 9 and 10 per over the 6. I know that's a movable contract. I think that's where his agent is going with this as well.

Here's another quick read regarding Al rumors.

"Al Harrington doesn't seem to be a part of the Hawks' plans and becomes a free agent this summer. As a result, the Hawks are certain to try to get something for him while they still can. The veteran forward turned 26 Friday and should be in line for a belated present -- getting back on a team with playoff plans. Harrington has played in 25 postseason games and was a major factor in the Pacers' run to the Eastern Conference finals in 2004."

Quote:

True the agent did inflate Al's scoring/rebounding...

But notice the dollar figure he put on Al?

First of all, the agent didn't put a dollar figure, Sekou did. Secondly, he didn't say it would be 45-50 mill over 5 years, he said it would be more than that:

Quote:

They also have to decide what price they are willing to pay for a player with a tag
expected to exceed
$45 million-$50 million over five years. Harrington's current deal pays him $6.8 million this season.

Quote:

Hawks co-captain Al Harrington's immediate future won't be clear until after 5 p.m. Thursday.

This is the first line of the article, and you don't have to read any further. Al says he's a pro and not concerned about the trade talks. Woody says he likes Al and that the decision to trade him is not his. Al's agent says he brings a lot to the table. There is nothing juicy in this article at all.

If the Hawks renounce Als rights in the offseason, assuming they don't trade him, they will have something like $35 million committed for next year, and that includes their 1st round pick in the upcoming draft. That is just from memory so it may be a little off.

Quote:

That doesn't sound like an agent speaking for somebody who wants to get out of town... In fact, that sounds like an agent of a player who wants to stay. Try to correct me if I'm wrong...

sounds like an agent who knows that atl can offer the most of any team

Quote:

5 yrs 50 million. That's Al's agent's expectation... hearing his agent say his high end is 50 million makes this an easy offer...It's fair according to his agent's expectations.

his agent didn't say that; sekou did...his agent would NEVER say his expectations were only 50mil...use your head

Quote:

It's a number that the Hawks can certainly live with.

i disagree for what al brings to the team and where he fits into our future

Quote:

somebody who is 26 years old and can get you 18/8.

u mean 18/7?