• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is Smith a PF?

exodus

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah I think he has been playing there more lately man if he touches up on those FT'S and gains more confidence in himslef and his shot the sky is the limit but for not only him MARVIN as well hwe has a ways to go but the future with those 2 at our FORWARD spots looks amazing......

• Premium Member

Quote:

15 rebounds, 7 blocks against the Wallace's to go along with 10 pts and 5 assists. So Josh has 30 rebounds in his last two games.

Looks like a pf to me. If he ever learns to score inside he is going to be nasty.

I've been saying that Smoove does not have the skill set to be a Sm. forward. I have always considered him a power foward. Al Harrington is more of a Small forward than Josh Smith.

• Premium Member

I've said as much too...

But I can't jump out there and say he is "better suited for" or "will be"... I'll just say again that what I have seen of him in HS and thus far (rebounds, defense, athleticism) suggests that he could be a decent PF.

My only concern with Smith being our full time PF is that we have no post scoring if Al leaves. Smith is clearly best suited at playing D at the 4, but on offense he likes midrange jumpers and slashing dunks. He rarely if ever gets it in the post and goes to work. If zaza is our only post player next year we are in big trouble. If Al is shipped we need to draft a big who can play in the post (and pass out of it) on offense.

• Premium Member

Quote:

My only concern with Smith being our full time PF is that we have no post scoring if Al leaves. Smith is clearly best suited at playing D at the 4, but on offense he likes midrange jumpers and slashing dunks. He rarely if ever gets it in the post and goes to work. If zaza is our only post player next year we are in big trouble. If Al is shipped we need to draft a big who can play in the post (and pass out of it) on offense.

This is typical view of most fans that can't imagine what a player will be 1-2 years from now. And I am pretty sure that is why we have all of these head scratching trade proposals. Its the same reason why in the past, most high Schollers succeeded in the NBA with their second team. Lets just be patient with our young players. Heck they have already grown alot this year right before your eyes.

yes but it seems that all of smoove's progress is progress towards being a perimeter player. Better mid-long range jumper, better handle. Those are clearly the things that he's working on. Why not work on the post moves if that is what you are being groomed towards? It does not seem that he is working on them, and it does not seem that Woody ever ever runs a play that involves him getting it in the post. So my point is that it seems like despite what we say, he is not being groomed to be a post player.

That is irritating to me. I'm not saying that he can't become a post player, I'm saying that it doesn't look like they're working on it

• Premium Member

Quote:

That is irritating to me. I'm not saying that he can't become a post player, I'm saying that it doesn't look like they're working on it

It takes big men longer to develop! This should be especially true with a perimeter player turned big man.

I agree. But if you want to develop a player's post game, wouldn't you give him the ball in the post at least once or twice during the course of the season?

The only times he ever gets the ball in the post is if he gets a board, or if somebody drives and is double teamed, leaving smoove open to get a layup/dunk.

Again my complaint isn't with Smoove, but with how the coaching staff is using him

Just because smoove plays the 4 doesn't mean he has to spend a lot of time in the post. If he can hit that mid range shot consistently other bigs will have to step out to play him and he can drive by them.

Obviously he will have to improve at scoring inside but if you look at how much progress he has made in 1 1/2 seasons I don't think it is a reach to believe he will improve his inside scoring also.

And as far as the draft goes we already know BK is looking big. And if he decides to get a pg that will open up more easy looks also.

Quote:

that's because as long as al is here, woody insists on al being pf and smoove being sf

exactly. That's all I'm saying. We all say Smith is a PF, Smith should be a PF. But they are not using him as a PF at all, they use him as a SF except very rare occasions.

Also, exodus, I realize that not every PF has to be a post player. First of all, every good PF has to have at the very least a decent back to the basket game. Also, while your PF doesn't HAVE to be a post player, every team needs a good post player who can pass well out of the post also. A pure perimiter team will fail. If you have a PF who is essentially a perimeter player, we need a real C who can man the paint on offense, be an offensive threat and be able to set up teammates from the post.

well i think one of the issues is that in the offseason, Smooth probably THOUGHT he was going to be a small forward with Al manning the 4 and chill manning the 2...i think if Al is traded, he'll see he'll be at the 4 (which he is probably seeing now) and will work on his post moves in the offseason...

if he could learn a couple things from Al on postmoves, his athleticism would make him straight nasty.

There are some thing you need to keep in mind when talking about the Hawks offense.

The new rules regarding zone defenses and hand checking have made a big difference on offenses. One of those differences is that i think post play is becoming less of a factor. It looks like the advantage is shifting to teams that are more perimeter oriented.

The two top teams are Dallas and Detroit, neither has much of a post game. Sheed and Dice can play in the post but generally don't. Dallas will try it occassionally to exploit matchup but generally they rely on penetration, ball movement and their jump shooting.

Also we need to look at the Hawks offense. We both know they need a pg and at least 1 quality big. They have a young, inexperienced, turnover prone roster. In spite of all that they are ranked 13th in the NBA in offense right now. Bring in a pg, big, and add some experience and where do you think they will be?