• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Speaking of the Hawks and PGs

Admin

• Premium Member

Quote:

how about Marvin running the point tonight for a bit. I thought that he did a really good job and he has some serious handles that I didnt realize he had. He also has great court vision. I love having such a versatile group of players.

Chill too! That's why searching for a traditional point should not be a priority for this team. Defense and rebounding should be the priority

• Premium Member

Quote:

As long as Ivey continues to develop we will be okay because there will be times like in the Lakers game where we need help breaking the press. Even JJ had a little trouble tonight with the double teams late.

True! But the point I've been trying to make tonight is that we may not have the best backcourt offensively in the league, but it is less of a problem than posters make it out to be. We have more pressing needs.

Marvin brings those types of abilities to the table. Just wait till he becomes comfortable when his role becomes that of a scorer. Joe Johnson and Marvin Williams are the guys that the offense will be around, and I think it is fantastic that both players bring multiple skills to the table. Both are terrific jump shooters. Marvin has terrific ability to put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket. He will become a better finisher as he grows, gets stronger, and simply gets more confident in that ability.

In my opinion, these are two players that a championship team can be built around.

I'm not leaving out Josh Smith, because I consider him to be very much part of the future of this team. I love seeing Josh Smith develop into a multi faceted player himself. He said he would like to be similar to Kirilenko, and he's doing a good impersonation over his last few games. While he didn't have a good scoring night tonight, he affected the game in other ways. Josh's stat line reads 7 points, 7 rebounds, 7 assists, and 4 blocks. He may be the type of player that is a legitimate 5X5 threat.

Quote:

Marvin brings those types of abilities to the table. Just wait till he becomes comfortable when his role becomes that of a scorer. Joe Johnson and Marvin Williams are the guys that the offense will be around, and I think it is fantastic that both players bring multiple skills to the table. Both are terrific jump shooters. Marvin has terrific ability to put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket. He will become a better finisher as he grows, gets stronger, and simply gets more confident in that ability.

Potential being realized! Now let's put that wasted pick bandwagon in the past. I hate not being able to watch many games up here but you guys put up very informative and detailed posts regarding the games.

• Premium Member

Right now, with the skills that Josh Smith is developing, it should make people question our need for Marvin Williams. Josh Smith is turning himself into a quality Sf not a PF. He's a good passer from the wing. He's working on his dribble. He's shooting from midrange and longrange and he has no evident post game to speak of. He does things on a level much higher than Williams. All Williams does well is shoot the uncontested shot. I hope that will change over time, but even Quinn Buckner was quick to point out that Marvin is a horrid defensive player.

As far as PG. I think BK has a team with at least 4 ball handlers. That's scary becuase old school dictates one general, but it's good because you never can gameplan on who will bring it up.

Quote:

Right now, with the skills that Josh Smith is developing, it should make people question our need for Marvin Williams. Josh Smith is turning himself into a quality Sf not a PF. He's a good passer from the wing. He's working on his dribble. He's shooting from midrange and longrange and he has no evident post game to speak of. He does things on a level much higher than Williams. All Williams does well is shoot the uncontested shot. I hope that will change over time, but even Quinn Buckner was quick to point out that Marvin is a horrid defensive player.

As far as PG. I think BK has a team with at least 4 ball handlers. That's scary becuase old school dictates one general, but it's good because you never can gameplan on who will bring it up.

This is one of your worst posts in awhile. Marvin is far from a "horrid" defensive player. His footwork needs some work, but he plays serviceable defense. Marvin has infinitely better handles than Smoov. They're similar in their midrange games right now, and of course Smoov is a better finisher at this point. However, talking about folks questioning our need for Marvin is ridiculous, and is a non-subject.

Quote:

I instantly thought of the Knicks when I read this, and that's not a good thing. I was watching them play against the Nets tonight and it was laughable. Nothing but isolations and one of the guards waving for a pick so they can slash to the basket. They were the antithesis of team play and it looked ugly last night.

On the other hand, I do think it's good to have guys that can bring the ball up and/or take care of the rock when a press or trap is on. Going back to my original thought of the Knicks, it is definitely a bad idea to have 4 guys on the court that have to have the ball in order to be effective on offense.

I have said this before, Smoove's passing ability is underrated...he can pass very well for his position, with smoove, marvin, chill,joe and a decent point guard, this team is going ridiculously good at passing the ball, and the best thing is...none of those guys are selfish at all, they all seem willing to give up the ball to the player with an open shot. That's pretty rare these days, I think BK has done an excellent job at finding players who are talented in lots of areas, smart, and play team ball.

Quote:

I have said this before, Smoove's passing ability is underrated...

I completely disagree. Here's the thing, Smoove sees nice passes, even very complicated ones. But he is horrible at evaluating whether it is a good pass and whether it is going to make it through. So he throws a lot of tough passes that get picked off. It's like 3 times out of 4 it gets picked off, but the 4th time out of 4 it's a beautiful pass. He really needs to work on that. I do like his unselfish attitude though.

Quote:

But he is horrible at evaluating whether it is a good pass and whether it is going to make it through. So he throws a lot of tough passes that get picked off.

I think there are a couple of reasons for that. First is obviously a lack of experience. The other is that his ball handling is still a work in progress.

A good ball handler doesn't have to look down or even think about his ball handling. They are free to scan the floor with their head up. Josh isn't on that level so when he tries to pass off the dribble it can get ugly at times.

The main issue to me is that he sees the floor well, which most guys don't. and he is looking to pass more now than he was earlier in the year.

That play he made where he went up for a shot and then passed to Zaza wouldn't have happened a couple of months ago.

Josh Smith will play PF, it is very obvious.

Marvin is a better defender right now than Al Harrington....

Marvin's anticipation right now is the thing thats lacking defensively ...he plays defense with his feet, like you should,but he is just slow to react to what he sees right now ...but that will come along....Al does not try to move his feet...he plays d with his hands.

Marvin is also using his pump fake and drive now...getting to the foul line a lot...so shooting open jumpers is not all he does well. He is beginning to hadle the ball a lot more also.

Quote:

Quote:

He does things on a level much higher than Williams. All Williams does well is shoot the uncontested shot.

How can you judge a player especially a 19 year old based on his 1st 50 games in the league?

I thougt that you were doing the same about Batman, when you asked:

"By the way, who did Jones dunk on? "

OK, BATMAN IS 22 years old.

Maybe i missunderstand you.

What i want to say, and i said it before is that we have to do everything to get GADZ.

With all the praise about all the good passing by the

current team of young, learning Hawks, no one mentioned

Zaza. Here is a youngster, just this year getting to

play starter minutes.

I know that we're talking PG but all players must be able

to handle the ball and make that necessary pass. Zaza

has shown the ability to do this and it is a part of

his improving game.

As we contemplate adding another player, now that Tony D.

has been released, could someone please tell me, why

do we have John Edwards? He never plays. Either use

him or loose him. Right now, he is only a warm body

to use in practice. Hawks released Tony Delk. Why not

release Edwards also ??

Hawks are growing their own !!!!!!

Go Hawks !

smirk.gif

since we drafted him! As for Smoove doing things on a much higher level than Marvin, Marvin does some things on a much higher level than Smoove too.

Marvin is obviously a better shooter (even if his shot was off earlier this month) and ballhandler. Marvin has also started to show the ability to put the ball on the floor and get in the lane and either finish or get fouled. No one else on the team does that consistently right now. Also, I think they are fairly close now, but once Marvin learns how to avoid the foul, I think he will be a better man to man defender.