Woody on the record about the officiating

DrReality

AJC article addresses how Hawks get NO RESPECT from the officiating. I thought it was great to pull up the stats of JJ vs the other top scorers and how he has gotten to the line half as much. I'm not stupid enough to think it will get anything done, but the bottom line is it is hurting their product. Stern needs to pull his head out of his a$$.

• Admin

I can completely understand why he hasn't gotten nearly as many calls as those other guys (including Al and zaza). Up until the last month, he hasn't really gone into traffic that much. Yah he does it from time to time. But that hasn't really been his game. He's been doing it more lately though. But to suggest that he attacks the basket (or has) with anything close to the frequency of AI, Kobe or Lebron is crazy.

Does he get the calls that he should? No. But Woodson didn't make a strong arguement, IMO.

JJ is one of the strongest 2s in the league. Bonzi and Patterson may be the only ones stronger. He just isn't a high riser so he has trouble finishing at the rim among the trees.

Artest was saying that JJ gave him a shot one time that really jolted him. He said he didn't realize JJ was that strong.

Is there any chance Woody could get fined by the league for speaking out about the lack of calls the Hawks get? I haven't heard anything about that, but I thought the NBA had a real tight leash concerning coaches and players speaking out against the ref.?

I doubt it. The rules are pretty specific on what you can and can't say. His statements were pretty vague and should be fine. That's different for instance from JVG saying that the league had instructed them to ref against him, or saying that a particular ref blew a game for instance. I don't recall Woody's comments specifically, but I think it was more of a "we don't get respect" general statement.

The NBA just gets real pissy when someone implies that a) there is some form of cheating going on, or that b) a particular ref (or crew) blew it and influenced the outcome of a game.

That's my take anyway