• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

falcons pick up wayne gandy for a pick and B.scott

chillzatl

• Admin

they mentioned another tackle that they are workign to get as well but I can't recall the name.

I think they will do something for the O-line, hopefully. But I don't see them doing anything wiht the WR's. I really don't think they should. White has the tools to be a #1 guy and the same goes for Jenk as a #2.

• Admin

All the guys on 790 (chuck smith and the stews) think that he immediately improves our o-line significantly. Dude is 6'4", 315lbs with a ton of experience and they say he's a big time locker room guy. The big thing in my eyes is his size. Dude is HUGE.

• Admin

on 790 this afternoon the stews were thinking outloud that they could put this guy on the right side (vicks blindspot) and he literally shouldn't have to worry about getting busted up from that side very often. That would be something else.

Falcons trade Saints for veteran tackle Gandy

April 6, 2006

The Falcons announced today that the team has traded S Bryan Scott and a 2007 undisclosed late-round draft choice to the New Orleans Saints in exchange for veteran T Wayne Gandy, pending physicals.

Gandy, 6-4, 315 pounds, has started 184-of-191 games in his 12-year career. He has only missed one contest in his career and has started all 16 games in 10-of-12 seasons. Gandy has been a member of the Saints (2003-05), Steelers (1999-2002), and Rams (1994-98) after originally being selected in the first-round (15th choice overall) of the 1994 NFL Draft out of Auburn by the Los Angeles Rams.

Gandy started 73 games for the Rams, playing both right and left tackle, before signing with the Pittsburgh Steelers as an unrestricted free agent in 1999. With the Steelers, he started all 63 games he appeared in and helped the team reach the postseason in 2001 and 2002. As a member of the Saints, Gandy started all 48 games and was responsible for protecting QB Aaron Brooks' blindside from the left tackle position.

S Bryan Scott started 35-of-47 games for the Falcons in his three-year career with the team.

I'm glad we got some size. He was a fringe-probowler throughout his career. He didn't quite make it because it's so hard to as an OT (it's like baseball gold glovers...once you win it, you tend to get dibs the next year). I wonder if we're looking to change philosophy with this acquisition of a bigger OL guy.

He has 2 years on his deal, and he'll probably retire after the contract is through. I think he has 2-3 more solid years though, if he stays healthy.

I hope we can add the big DT and one more OL. I think WR is not getting addressed once again, since we aren't drafting a difference maker without a 1st round choice.

Quote:

I hope we can add the big DT and one more OL. I think WR is not getting addressed once again, since we aren't drafting a difference maker without a 1st round choice.

You never know what might turn out. Arguably the biggest playmaker (TO) at WR right now wasn't taken until the 3rd round. I'm also on the bandwagon that thinks Jenkins and Rowdy Roddy White should grow even better into their roles this year in the offense.

I was glad to hear that we picked up Gandy. He's been nasty since his days with the Rams and he's gonna be a great influence on the line not only with his play but with how he conducts himself. This signing has me even more amped up for the upcoming season. Time to dust off the Falcons flags!

I think Roddy White can be a star. Jenkins is a lot like Finneran, actually. He clocks better, but it doesn't translate into downfield speed.

Finneran is the rangy midfield guy that Vick loves to hit for 12-15 yards. White is a deep threat in the making. Jenkins I think can be somewhere in between.

Still, this is just potential. I really wanted to go after an established guy like Muhammed from the Panthers a year ago.

Quote:

If Grady does improve our pass blocking, that will also get more production out of our WRs. Vick looks much better passing when he has more time.

Agree - 100%. That's pretty much the way it is with most NFL QB's. Plus, more time will allow our receivers additional seconds to drive the defenders deeper on patterns, opening up #1: Crumpler wide open over the middle and - of course - #2: "There goes Vick on a bootleg!"

I really think 'O' line protection is almost always under rated - as is a fullback who can block and catch the ball when the need be.

I don't under-rate it, though. I think line play is what defines winning football. If you can "whoop" the opponent on the line on both sides, you are going to be a winning team. A team that can burn it up passing downfield isn't necessarily going to win, though. Similarly, a quick defense with a good secondary is going to get killed without being to stop the up-the-gut.

I wanted OL to be more of a priority for like the last 6 off-seasons for the Falcons. It seems like we've never focused on it, trying to get by with over-achieving smallish guys. They've done OK, but I want to dominate there. Our DL is going to dominate, especially if we get one more fat DT.