• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks say 'No Thanks' to DerMarr's Option

Inside_Man

The Hawks did what they had to do with DJ. No way the Hawks could commit $6 million+ (DJ's guaranteed $3 million plus $3 more million in luxury tax) on the chance that DJ will recover. I am praying that he will make a full recovery and return to the team next season but I doubt we will have a clue about his chances to play again until next summer.

no, he has a check.

They didn't pick up next year's option. He's still a member of the team this year and it's next year that he's a free agent. Since they declined the option, the hawks can sign him for up to the 3 million hi would have been owed.

but he is getting paid thru the end of this season.

was a great draft pick.

Dermarr was on his way to becoming a tremendous player. He would have averaged between 10-15 points and provide great defense.

It was an unfortunate thing that happened to him, but to say we got nothing out of that pick is kind of an odd statement.

He played very well last season. He could still come back. I would not bet against him.

How is it an odd statement to say we got nothing out of the 6thpick in the draft at this point? If DJ is able to play basketball next year, sign a contract with us again and make a significant contribution to the team then the pick is not wasted. What have we gotten out of him to this point? What helped us win 33games last season? No one could forsee him getting injured but then maybe we should rethink our logic of drafting players who are not ready to contribute immediatly. We drafted DJ because we thought he would eventually be our smallforward but that didn't evolve. Right now drafting Courtney ALexander would have definetly filled the void at the 2guard position.Alexader was ready to contribute his 1st year in the league, he didn't need 2 or 3years to develop into a impact player, but it is pointless in complaining now because that is in the past.It just adds to the theory that Hawks management do not make good picks in the draft.

Oh and Dermarr's stats are suppose to be spectacular? I am not saying ALexander would have been a star but he seemed to have more of a aggressive attitude as far as his offense is concerned. Alexander was drafted by the Orlando Magic I believe and then his rights were traded to the Wizards. He was traded from the wizards more than likely for the fact that at the time they were looking at RIP Hamilton to be the man at shooting guard plus the fact they had Jordan. You still failed to show me where Dermarr has helped the team out tp justify the 6th pick which is what the MAIN Topic of the post is about not Courtney Alexander.

With all the young players coming out early, I don't think you will see many teams taking players that are the most ready to play in the NBA with the high draft picks. The 4 year players are generally more ready to play right away but their ceilings are much lower. If the same situation arises in the future, I hope Babs will again draft the player with a chance to be special rather than going for the player who will be solid but never spectacular.

Look at Shane Battier. He was the college basketball player of the year after his senior season and I think he was one of the top 2 rookies last year but by the end of this season, I think Gasol, Brown, Curry and Richardson will all be better and I think Chandler will be better next year. I'd rather have any of those young guys than Battier because they have a chance to be special. Battier will be good but I will be surprised if he is ever a star player.