• Raised $390 of $700 target

Iverson to Atlanta? (revisited)

y2kenta

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before anyone jumps my case, I'm not saying trading for Iverson would indeed make the Hawks a contender, but remember, there have been alot of Eastern conference teams in the finals and even winners w/o All-Star quality bigmen. Think of all the Chicago title teams with the likes of Bill Wennington and co. at center. More recently, New Jersey's and Philly's final teams w/o any respectable big men (an argument could be made for K-Mart on NJ being a "big man").

A move bringing AI to the Hawks if it meant moving Al & Chillz (for instance) would get it done, you'd really have to consider something like that. That alone would be a drastic improvement over our current starting lineup. AI and JJ would be the best offensive backcourt in the NBA averaging close to 50PPG. Of course, we'd still be lacking defensively, but that's not to say there would be no way to bring in a defensive guard, forward, center whatever to help out. That would also move 2 of our 4 tweeners. I'm all for Chillz remaining a Hawk for years to come because he's an amazing player, but it's already been reported that there's been more interest from other teams in Chillz than any other Hawks player.

Quote:

why would you have a picture of Osama on your profile? I was military and we have fought against this clown.

I believe he said before everyone was hating him because of his marvin williams name and avatar, so if they were going to hate him he might as well give them a reason to hate him. I don't know. Not funny to me, but I don't think the guy means to support osama or anything like that.

Quote:

Before anyone jumps my case, I'm not saying trading for Iverson would indeed make the Hawks a contender, but remember, there have been alot of Eastern conference teams in the finals and even winners w/o All-Star quality bigmen. Think of all the Chicago title teams with the likes of Bill Wennington and co. at center.

Bill Wennington didn't start at Center for the Bulls Championship teams & Bill Cartwright was a damn good defensive player.

Besides those Chicago teams had:

Jordan, Pippen, Grant or

Jordan, Pippen, Rodman. They didn't need a big man.

Quote:

Quote:

why would you have a picture of Osama on your profile? I was military and we have fought against this clown.

I believe he said before everyone was hating him because of his marvin williams name and avatar, so if they were going to hate him he might as well give them a reason to hate him. I don't know. Not funny to me, but I don't think the guy means to support osama or anything like that.

well it gives me a headache every time i look at it.

Quote:

I would rather have a young Brandon Roy than an old Iverson especially when you throw in the price financially and in players.

Just remember, that old Iverson averaged over 30PPG again last season. He's really slowing down isn't he? I don't think that's a valid point. I don't know whether AI for the Hawks would be a good thing or bad (guess it depends on who's going out), but the case of AI's age isn't one I think you can really use.

• Moderators

Quote:

the case of AI's age isn't one I think you can really use.

Yet. He may not slow down for another 5 years which would be fine. However, he might slow down sooner than that which would quickly be devastating for his value since his quickness is pretty much the source of 90% of his value. If he isn't substantially more athletic and quicker than the man guarding him, his value will plummet like a rock due to his height and shooting ability. That said, the man competes like mad during games which is as good an indicator as you will get that he will continue to be effective in the short term.

Quote:

Quote:

Before anyone jumps my case, I'm not saying trading for Iverson would indeed make the Hawks a contender, but remember, there have been alot of Eastern conference teams in the finals and even winners w/o All-Star quality bigmen. Think of all the Chicago title teams with the likes of Bill Wennington and co. at center.

Bill Wennington didn't start at Center for the Bulls Championship teams & Bill Cartwright was a damn good defensive player.

Jordan, Pippen, Grant or

I know that, but my point is, depending on how a team is built, it's not a necessity to have dominating big men to be contenders. While it's very, very beneficial, not necessarily a requirement. Look at the Nets and Sixers recently making the finals w/o a dominating big man. While neither were successfull in the Finals, making it there was a strong case.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Jordan, Pippen, Grant or

I know that, but my point is, depending on how a team is built, it's not a necessity to have dominating big men to be contenders. While it's very, very beneficial, not necessarily a requirement. Look at the Nets and Sixers recently making the finals w/o a dominating big man. While neither were successfull in the Finals, making it there was a strong case.

I am pretty sure Dikember was DPOY at C when the Sixers made the finals. I would consider that a dominating inside presence.

I agree the Nets didn't have a dominating big man, though.

As cool as it would be to have AI in the ATL I think we should pass on any deals for him. I love AI but his biggest strength is scoring and heart. I feel that JJ, Josh, and Marvin can provide enough scoring to negate the need for Marbury.

I think one more year of smart drafting and plugging up the holes withe more ZaZa's is the way to go.

I'm really high on Diesel's idea to sign Jacki Butler away from the Knicks.

We do not need a scoring point guard, we need an Eric Snow. A guy that can defend his position, handle the ball, and make the correct pass.

That's very true. I'm not one of those who really want Atlanta to either sign or trade for someone like Marbury or Francis, but I tell you, Allen Iverson is a bonafide, MVP caliber superstar that could realistically carry a team by himself. The more I think about it, if Atlanta could acquire him w/o giving away our entire core of players (Marvin, Smoove, Chillz, JJ, and ZaZa), you've gotta' do it. Make Al the centerpiece of a S&T and incorporate future picks, or even one of the core players and you drastically improved your offense and given the team something they didn't have this season consistently......a player who can penetrate the lane. Someone said it in a previous post about AI and JJ working well together such as Nash and JJ worked with a penetrate and pass offense. Everyone knocks AI as a ballhog, but he does get his fair share of assists.

yeah, we'd be compared to those nets

they had krstic at center and we'll have zaza; pretty close there

and we'll have our big 4 of ai/jj/marvin/smoove and they had their big 3 of kidd/rj/vince...those guys were perimeter guys and slashers, as are our guys...

who on that nets team had good post moves?

The Nets team I'm talking about that reached the finals was in 01/02. Vince Carter was still playing for Toronto then. Here's a link to that team's info. http://www.nba.com/nets/history/glance_0102.html

Interestingly enough, the previous season they only won 25 games and then won 52 the next and made the finals only to lose to Shaq and Kobe in the finals. Their starting lineup was alot different then.