• Raised $390 of $700 target

Wii looks like a winner

chillzatl

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

Wii , pronounced WE, is the name of the new nintendo console. Previously codenamed revolution.

It doesn't have a standard controller like you might be used to with game systems. It uses a nunchuck style controller with one end looking like a TV remote control and the other end looking like .. mushroom that you control with your thumb and has a few buttons for your fingers. Both ends have motion sensors in them that you use to control the games. For instance, you play tennis just like you would with a real racket. You swing teh remote and the toon on the TV swings the racket. Same for baseball and other such games.

I remember when the big 3 announced all of their next gen ideas and when it came to Nintendo, I was actually impressed with their idea of motion sensors on the controllers. They were talking about making EVERYTHING on the controller motion sensitive to give a ridiculously realistic feel to games (think GT4 - using the right analog to control throttle response) and I'm glad that they kept with the plan somewhat.

Wow, what a dumb comment. Are graphics the only thing that matter? What about gameplay... or just plain fun?

Nintendo has been, and always will be, the innovators. While Sony and others keep working on improving the power of their processors and making more realistic textures, Nintendo comes up with extremely fun peripherals and ideas. The DS is a genius system, and has given birth to a whole new style of game. The amount of interconnectivity between the GC and the GBA is ridiculously fun.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Playstation and Xbox quite a bit, but the first person shooter and sports game monotony that seems to popularize the systems can't hold a candle to the original Legend of Zelda in terms of pure fun.

Quote:

Wow, what a dumb comment. Are graphics the only thing that matter? What about gameplay... or just plain fun?

Nintendo has been, and always will be, the innovators. While Sony and others keep working on improving the power of their processors and making more realistic textures, Nintendo comes up with extremely fun peripherals and ideas. The DS is a genius system, and has given birth to a whole new style of game. The amount of interconnectivity between the GC and the GBA is ridiculously fun.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Playstation and Xbox quite a bit, but the first person shooter and sports game monotony that seems to popularize the systems can't hold a candle to the original Legend of Zelda in terms of pure fun.

Well it's not 1986 anymore. Nintendo is a kiddy system that probably is just going to redo the same only tired titles it's been pumping out since the 80's.

Zelda... Mario.... Duck Hunt.... Metroid.. yawn. They've done made these games over and over. Zelda and Mario are old news.

I want games that look realistic. I'm 25 and not 12 anymore.

I like sports and shooting games and don't like the same tired redone games that came out 20 years ago.

"Are graphics the only thing that matter? What about gameplay... or just plain fun?"

What's the problem with both? It's not one way or the other.

Call of Duty has BOTH. This kiddy system doesn't seem like it will be able to do the same.

If Nintendo are such innovators, why do they have to keep redoing the same games? They need to sink like Sega Genesis did.

Sounds like you should just look at some photographs instead of owning a game console. Those are even more realistic than anything I've seen on any console!

I guess that's just a difference in desire. You want your fantasy gaming world to look as much like real life as possible; I want mine to look like a fantasy gaming world. The most impressive games -- visually -- that I've ever played are Zelda: Windwaker and Viewtiful Joe.

*shrug*

rapidshare.de/files/20055731/redsteele3_qthighwide.mov.html

has a video of the Wii by the way

Looks interesting. I don't know if I would get it because I am most interested in sports games and I don't see how it would be better for that, but they definitely can do some REALLY cool things with that hardware.

Quote:

rapidshare.de/files/20055731/redsteele3_qthighwide.mov.html

has a video of the Wii by the way

Looks interesting. I don't know if I would get it because I am most interested in sports games and I don't see how it would be better for that, but they definitely can do some REALLY cool things with that hardware.

I bet the Mario 3vs3 basketball game will be fun smile.gif

hahah! That is one of the most fun looking things I've ever seen. Brings back memories of the Power Pad smile.gif

Quote:

It also reminds me of the bazooka attachment they had, whatever it was called, for the super nintendo. I had that thing. It was AWESOME ... for like 3 weeks.

SNES_scopeSINJUEGO.JPG

It was a little too big, IMO. The light gun for the Sega Master System is just about perfect.

• Admin

Yah, what he said is right. That's a dumb comment. But the source doesn't surprise me.

The new zelda game looks great, has great graphics, will have great gameplay and takes full advantage of the new controller. It'll be a great game, just as the prevoius ones were GREAT games. Considering how many developers have said they are creating new games for the Wii, I don't think they'll have a problem of no interesting new games that don't involve Mario and Zelda.

You talk about loving sports and shooting games and those are teh very games that will benefit the most from the new controller. MAdden07, the same one being made for the 360 and ps3, is being developed for the Wii as well. Except it will take full advantage of the wii controller. You will pass, hand off, stiff arm and basically control the hands of your players using the Wiimote. That's far more interesting than what the other two systems will have.

Hell, you talk about call of duty. Call of duty, on a console, would be 10000x better if you could use your hand to aim your weapon, instead of using a retarded nub of a joystick.

And yah, Call of Duty is an GOOD game. But it's cookie cutter fps. I've been playing those games for going on 14 years. The graphics get better, but the gameplay hasn't evolved since half-life, which came out oh.. 8 years ago? Throw together a story, put pretty graphics on it and script some "interesting" scenes to happen around you, but barely involve you. That's not gameplay, that's window dressing. Something used to take the same old foruma and make you think it's fresh.

Your comments about nintendo just show how little you know. Yah, they remake games using their old properties, just like everyone does. Halo THREE? metal gear solid FOUR? Give me a break... everyone does it. There are many really cool games on the gamecube that are far more fun to play, especially wtih a group of friends, than anything on the playstation or xbox. But you'd have to leave your basement to know that.

The new zelda game looks great, has great graphics, will have great gameplay and takes full advantage of the new controller. It'll be a great game, just as the prevoius ones were GREAT games."

Zelda is the past. The freakin game is 20+ years old. Great graphics? Does it look any different than the tennis or that other game, or does it look cartoonish aswell?

"You talk about loving sports and shooting games and those are teh very games that will benefit the most from the new controller. MAdden07, the same one being made for the 360 and ps3, is being developed for the Wii as well. Except it will take full advantage of the wii controller. You will pass, hand off, stiff arm and basically control the hands of your players using the Wiimote. That's far more interesting than what the other two systems will have."

I don't see waving controllers around in the air as interesting.. It's pretty d@mn stupid and childish.

Does the great Wii have Xbox live?

It will be a pile of shyt just like Super NES and Nintendo 64 were.

• Admin

Quote:

Zelda is the past. The freakin game is 20+ years old. Great graphics? Does it look any different than the tennis or that other game, or does it look cartoonish aswell?

Why ask me, you already seem to have your mind made up. You should check out some game sites and see. I seriosuly doubt it will meet your lofty expectations. But it looks pretty damned good and isn't cartoonish.

Quote:

I don't see waving controllers around in the air as interesting.. It's pretty
d@mn
stupid and childish.

again, your mind seems pretty made up to me. You don't thing it sounds fun to be able to point your hand at the screen, like you actually had a gun in it, and accurately aim and fire at things?? As someone who has played console FPS's and thinks they suck, because using a gamepad blows and is LAME. I think it would be awesome. It could actually be the only system good enough to replace keyboard and mouse.

You don't think it would be cool to say, have a sword fight or a lightsaber fight, on a big screen TV and be able to actually fight like you had it in your hands? Or swing a baseball bat, accuratly??

I don't see how you could think that wouldn't be cool. But if you don't, you don't. It just sounds narrow minded to me. especially if you like games in the first place. In my opinion it could be the most innovative and FUN thing in gaming in years.

Quote:

It has its version. Apparantly you will be able to play all their old Nes, Snes, and n64 games over it. I'm not sure what else.

Quote:

Quote:

Why ask me, you already seem to have your mind made up. You should check out some game sites and see. I seriosuly doubt it will meet your lofty expectations. But it looks pretty damned good and isn't cartoonish.

Quote:

I don't see waving controllers around in the air as interesting.. It's pretty
d@mn
stupid and childish.

again, your mind seems pretty made up to me. You don't thing it sounds fun to be able to point your hand at the screen, like you actually had a gun in it, and accurately aim and fire at things?? As someone who has played console FPS's and thinks they suck, because using a gamepad blows and is LAME. I think it would be awesome. It could actually be the only system good enough to replace keyboard and mouse.

You don't think it would be cool to say, have a sword fight or a lightsaber fight, on a big screen TV and be able to actually fight like you had it in your hands? Or swing a baseball bat, accuratly??

I don't see how you could think that wouldn't be cool. But if you don't, you don't. It just sounds narrow minded to me. especially if you like games in the first place. In my opinion it could be the most innovative and FUN thing in gaming in years.

Quote:

It has its version. Apparantly you will be able to play all their old Nes, Snes, and n64 games over it. I'm not sure what else.

Well, I already got an Xbox 360... I'm not going to pay 300 more bucks because of a control that I probably wouldn't like. And actually, the system will have a "classic" control, but I don't see any reason for me to get yet another system.

" As someone who has played console FPS's and thinks they suck, because using a gamepad blows and is LAME."

It's worked for fine for many years. Personally, I think playing games on computer is lame. Yes, I've played a few and I don't like it myself. It's just not what I'm used to.

I just don't like Nintendo anymore and I'm tired of it's hype. No control is worth 300 bucks or 200. Which ever it is.

I've seen thing in action and I play games for fun and not a workout... Maybe that's taking it abit to the extreme... But.

I'm just sticking with what I'm used to.

• Admin

Quote:

It's worked for fine for many years. Personally, I think playing games on computer is lame.

It's worked fine because you don't know how much better the other side has it. I assume you play some of those games online? An average kb/mouse FPS player would crush the best console fps player. The controls, accuracy and pace of the games, as well as the graphics and teamplay aspects, are vastly superior.

When microsoft releases it's LiveAnywhere, you'll see first hand. PC players will be able to play against X360 players in the same games. Unless they do something to fudge the controls so that PC gamers are at a disadvantage or release a mouse/kb style control for the xbox, it won't be very fun for the console crowd.