• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Someone sell me on Roy

tmac13

• Premium Member

Roy was top ten in every category in the Pac-10.

He's one of the most accomplished players to ever play.

His shooting percentage is off the chart for his position.

HE's a very good defender.

He's mature.

He has a very good BB IQ.

What's left to sell?

He's the best player in the draft... Period.

Ok, I won't debate all his stats, but when I watched him play he didn't run the point at Washington nor did he defend the point position..We already know that JJ couldn't handle the quick point guards and I didn't see Roy having the quickness to handle them either..We play in a division with Wade, Arenas, Felton, and Nelson..We will never get better if we get killed by the point guards in our own division night in and night out.

• Moderators

Quote:

Ok, I won't debate all his stats, but when I watched him play he didn't run the point at Washington nor did he defend the point position..We already know that JJ couldn't handle the quick point guards and I didn't see Roy having the quickness to handle them either..We play in a division with Wade, Arenas, Felton, and Nelson..We will never get better if we get killed by the point guards in our own division night in and night out.

The ability to defend quick points would be critical. The handchecking rules have just opened the flood gates for quick guards.

Quote:

IAWTC

"Someone sell me on Roy"

I'll start with saying I'm not objective. I think Aldridge and Roy are the top choices. I was not a Roy fan until this year.

See this link: http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=343

Here's a quote from Truehoop:

"If I ran the Blazers? I'd be asking myself one question: can Sebastian Telfair, Martell Webster, and Brandon Roy succeed on the court together? Does that work? If the answer is yes, then I'd book it. Because there aren't many roster spots open, I'd even give up Portland's other first-round pick to move up, if necessary, to get Roy.

Roy's the only top player in this draft who would make me jump and cheer on draft day. His main asset is making smart decisions on his way to the hoop. But he can also handle, distribute, and score score score. You know how Phoenix thrives with Barbosa as a secondary ball-handler to take pressure of Nash? Roy could be that for someone too.

Most importantly, he even plays defense. He has pretty good size, but can even lockup speedsters. He got Jordan Farmar to have a terrible game against Washington. His shot has been his shortcoming, but even that has improved in the last year, and I like players who are still improving.

Read what Jonathan Watters says about Brandon Roy and tell me you don't want him on your team. The projection thing is unfair, but Watters projects Roy at his best as being something like Manu Ginobili and at his worst as Marquis Daniels. Either way a skilled livewire. I'll take it."

The Portland newspaper is having a lovefest over Roy. So he probably won't make it down to us. The question for Portland is if he is redundant to Martell Webster. But if someone takes him, we'll have a shot at Aldridge or Bargnani.

after reading up on him, i like ROY a lot. Like Diesel said, his shooting percentages are great (50% i believe). that means that hes taking great shots (and not forcing it) and is a good scorer at 20 ppg.

of the top 5 picks, he may be the "SAFEST" pick. He may be the most NBA ready as well.

the downside is his potential (or lack thereof?) for a lottery pick. Seems like he does everything decent or above-average but nothing "JAW-DROPPING" excellent.

i want us to bring him in for a workout vs guys like Ronnie Brewer and Randy Foye.

after all is said and done, im confident that BK will select the right player for us. i trust him. hes drafted well thus far.

• 1 year later...

Quote:

He's mature.

What's left to sell?

I just had to bump this.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

He's mature.

What's left to sell?

I just had to bump this.

I still believe that he was the best player in the draft (although Aldridge is making me wrong)...

However, He wasn't the best player for us.

I was just as outspoken in saying that we should have drafted for NEED and not BPA. There were 2 strikes against Roy for me...

1. He duplicated JJ...

Everybody and their grandmother knows that we're not trading JJ. Because of JJ our owners split. It's principle now that JJ must stay and play.

2. He snubbed us...Twice.

Roy never worked out for us, because when it was his chance to come to Atlanta, he said he was not coming. (First time he claimed sick, on the make up he said he's not coming). I took that to mean that he didn't want to be here. Being that he was real close to Nate and that PTL is close to home, I took it that he had a deal.