If Phoenix wins the Championship

tmac13

If the Suns win the title will it change anyones thinking on what it takes to win?..

Right now we are all talking about defensive points guards and defensive bigs..If the Suns prove you can win a title with a wide open style and a smallish athletic lineup will it change how we think and how the NBA thinks in general?

I love to watch Phoenix play..I think they are by far the most entertaining team in the NBA..If that entertaining style also leads to a title, why not emulate them?..We already have the perfect 2/3/4/5 in a Phoenix style system..Joe, Chillz, Marvin and Smoove are perfect for that style of play..All we are missing is a point guard that pushes the ball constantly..I know that Nashes don't grow on trees, but their are guys like Telfair, Blake, Ridenour and others that might be available that are suited to a wide open style...Just a thought..Blast away.....

Dallas has an unconventional style too, and they've both got a great shot at winning it all.

I'd never have believed it if I weren't seeing it with my own two eyes, even just the possibility of it. But, it is a real possibility.

As far as how that might pertain to us, well maybe it means that BK actually has a valid and legitimate plan?

Quote:

If the Suns win the title will it change anyones thinking on what it takes to win?..

Right now we are all talking about defensive points guards and defensive bigs..If the Suns prove you can win a title with a wide open style and a smallish athletic lineup will it change how we think and how the NBA thinks in general?

I love to watch Phoenix play..I think they are by far the most entertaining team in the NBA..If that entertaining style also leads to a title, why not emulate them?..We already have the perfect 2/3/4/5 in a Phoenix style system..Joe, Chillz, Marvin and Smoove are perfect for that style of play..All we are missing is a point guard that pushes the ball constantly..I know that Nashes don't grow on trees, but their are guys like Telfair, Blake, Ridenour and others that might be available that are suited to a wide open style...Just a thought..Blast away.....

They won't.

I don't buy that, not when the Hawks have a guard like Joe Johnson on the team. Guys like Johnson, Dwyane Wade, LeBron James, and Gilbert Arenas are playmakers. You don't take the ball out of their hands simply because they don't fit the narrow minded mold you have of what a point guard should be.

Joe Johnson was a better player last year than he was alongside Nash in Phoenix, and it's because the ball was in his hands when in the half court setting. He was allowed to use his natural playmaking skills in Atlanta, whereas in Phoenix, he was asked to play off the ball. As a result, Joe Johnson doubled his assists output and was one of only 5 players to average more than 20 points and 6 assists per game this season. Do you think Cleveland is screaming that they need a true, pure point guard? No, because everyone knows that once that ball crosses half court, LeBron James will set the table. It's the same thing in Atlanta. The Hawks only need a guy that can help Joe get the ball across half court and hit the open jumper, because once that ball crosses half court, it's going into Joe Johnson's hands. Why shouldn't it? Joe Johnson is one of the top playmakers in the entire league.

Regardless of if they win or not Steve Nash has become a NBA legend this season. He hs gotten his team to the freakin conference finals without their superstar player. I mean damn and honetly I think that they are a better team than they were last year.

Maybe you should send a copy of your post to Woody since he obviously doesn't think JJ is a point guard either..To compare JJ with Lebron is just silly..JJ is a very nice player, he is not in Lebrons league..Besides all that, you missed the entire point of the post..In order to play like Phoenix, you need a point guard that can run and push the ball..There were games last year that because of a little pressure JJ could barely get the ball upcourt..He is a good playmaking 2 guard, no doubt about that, he is not a point guard on a team attempting to run.

Finally, KB, you calling someone narrowminded is a joke..The only reason you think JJ is a point is because you think BK is a basketball god and he said it..You have your head so far up BK's azz that you have absolutely no perspective..

• Admin

if you actually take the time to read what he said. He didn't say "JJ is as good as Lebron". He compared their skills and the roles they each have on their teams, and in that case they are very similar players. Over the last 2-3 months of the season JJ put up something like 24/8/6. Who does that compare to if not Lebron?

I agree with him and with BK that we don't need a traditional PG. We have a guy who has the skills to dominate the ball and loves to set other guys up. Taking the ball out of his hands is stupid. You put someone else next to him who can help him with those ball handling duties (just like cleveland has Snow and Hughes). But you put the ball in his hands on nearly every play. You don't relegate someone with that skillset to being a ordinary shooting guard. Obviously there are other more respected opinions out there who see things this way as weell. That's why you see so many mock drafts that have us taking Roy.

Then you didn't read the original post either..The point was to play like Phoenix..Not walk it up with a big slow point..Cleveland is a totally different kind of team..And. JJ plays NOTHING like Lebron..LeBron attacks the basket, get to the line a ton,,JJ is a jumpshooter with some passing skills..Their games are not alike.

Quote:

if you actually take the time to read what he said. He didn't say "JJ is as good as Lebron". He compared their skills and the roles they each have on their teams, and in that case they are very similar players. Over the last 2-3 months of the season JJ put up something like 24/8/6. Who does that compare to if not Lebron?

I agree with him and with BK that we don't need a traditional PG. We have a guy who has the skills to dominate the ball and loves to set other guys up. Taking the ball out of his hands is stupid. You put someone else next to him who can help him with those ball handling duties (just like cleveland has Snow and Hughes). But you put the ball in his hands on nearly every play. You don't relegate someone with that skillset to being a ordinary shooting guard. Obviously there are other more respected opinions out there who see things this way as weell. That's why you see so many mock drafts that have us taking Roy.

lebron isn't afraid of contact... It sure looks like Joe Johnson is. He only averages like 4 FT's a game. If the jumpshot isn't working he's fairly ineffective as a scorer. That's why he's not a first option. He's a 6'8 player that shy's away from contact.

Again, no one's saying they're the same guy, or have the same game, or that they're on the same level. All he's saying is that in the half court, JJ, even though he's not a traditional point guard, is our playmaker, just like Wade in Miami, and Lebron in Cleveland.

Thanks, Chillz.

There appears to be a reading comprehension problem on this board at times. All he Billy Knight-haters read into posts what they want to read into them, and there are some very narrow minded people that can't get out of the mindset that you have to have a 7'0", 280 lbs center, a 6'11", 250 lbs power forward, and a true point guard.

I thought my post was pretty clear, and apparently you did as well. You have intelligence though, and that's something that very few posters on this board have lately.

Quote:

The Hawks only need a guy that can help Joe get the ball across half court and hit the open jumper, because once that ball crosses half court, it's going into Joe Johnson's hands.

First of all, I never said anything about Joe being the guy bringing the ball up the court. I qualified that by saying that we need someone at the point position that can help him bring the ball up, because once the ball is crosses half court, it's going into Joe Johnson's hands. I'm not quite sure how that was missed....wait....yes, I am sure.

Secondly, Joe Johnson is by no means slow. Big does not equal slow. There's that narrow minded thinking again. Big = slow. Small = fast. Amazing! The stupidity that some on this board have will never cease to amaze me.