• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What the heck are we going to do about PG???

DavidSomerset

TLue/Salim sounds like the plan from the info Lascar posted from his season ticket owner's meeting.

That wasn't specifically said (so I don't want to put words in his mouth) but he mentioned that Salim was working on skills in the summer league.

I see no way we can leave TLue out of the mix - with his shooting being pretty much top-notch last year - unless we get somebody like A.I. (which apparently we aren't).

Quote:

That wasn't specifically said (so I don't want to put words in his mouth) but he mentioned that Salim was working on skills in the summer league.

I wouldn't read too much into that. What else would Salim do this offseason? For him to get more PT he has to be a better PG. He said they had 3 plays they ran for Salim when he entered the game, he needs to learn to run plays for others.

Remember last year when everyone thought Salim was gonna be our PG, let's not make the same mistake again. For Salim it's about being able to get in games at all.

Quote:

Salim has the "skills" to play the point..If he could reign his game in and play under control he could at least be a decent backup point..

I disagree. He has the "talent" to play the point, but has not yet acquired the distributing skills of a PG.

Where would you rate him at ability to run the break?

Top 30?

Top 50?

Top 100?

He's probably the 3rd or 4th best on our team, that has no PG.

Quote:

...Remember last year when everyone thought Salim was gonna be our PG, let's not make the same mistake again. For Salim it's about being able to get in games at all...

Actually what I was hoping we'd do is package him with the #33 pick and move up as far as possible - then pick the best available PG...but it looks like this regime wants to hold onto all it's "young talent".

I really think they should do something with the #33 even if they don't package it with SS. We don't need another Royal Ivey and it looks like a guy like Sene (who it would be worth taking a flyer on) will be already gone.

I'd love to see that deal with Portland: it would be great. But I doubt it will happen.

I've heard several times that they want to get a gp with experience. Given that the FA market for pgs is rather limited, looks like they have to trade. And I would be all for trading Salim. I think he has value.

ROYAL IVEY WAS A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've read where Cenk Akyol has done well this year, scored 17 or 19 in the touney. If we take a big in the first round it would make sense (well maybe not for BK) to take a pg in the second. Who would be a pg in the second that would be similar to Akyol? Better? Worse?

It would make sense, but it isn't going to surprise me to see Billy go big in the first and the second round.

I was half way joking about getting a bunch of guys with the last name Williams, but it looks like Billy has fallen in love with the length, rebounding ability, and athleticism of Shelden Williams, and I bet he falls in love with the length and athleticism of Justin Williams.

#5 - Shelden Williams

#33 - Justin Williams

Ya'll need to stop bagging on Salim, because the PG spot is the toughest to be the best at in the NBA. And as a rookie, it's a huge eye-opening experience.

So let the guy work on his weaknesses, continue to develop, and get molded by NBA coaching and then judge him again in a year or two. Cause, I mean you don't just move a guy who can shoot and score like he can at this level, especially when we're at the bottom of the leauge.

Why do you think the Bulls are going through the motions with Gordon and still value him more than any of the other guys. He was the only guy (with maybe Heinrich) that really balled in the playoffs last year and this year.

Salim is gonna be a good baller. PERIOD!

Yeah, I agree, I don't think that we move Salim just for the sake of moving him. Guy's a lights a shooter, and will be a very valuable bench asset, IF he can reconcile being a bench player instead of a starter for his career. Would thrive if used like Maggette, is clearly capable of scoring in bursts and reaching double figures as a backup. Developing point skills would only enhance his contributions and increase his playing time. Unless he becomes a key cog in a trade, which seems unlikely while we remain thin at guard, he'll be a Hawk.

I can see Salim getting 25mpg next year at the 1/2. He'll never be much of a ball handler or distributor but if we lose Al Harrington's points and lack of defense next year then Salim may be just what we need. Since we wont know what free agents we can pick up until after the draft, it becomes more questionable who to draft in the second round. And of course the second round pick will almost have to be a big if we dont get one in the first round. I actually think BK will draft a point such as Jerry McNamara, Darius Washington, Blalock, etc and then try to go after a few free agent bigs. Chris Wilcox will probably be the first target then a lower salary guy like Jackie Butler or pay enough to get David Anderson to come over.

I'm fairly sure that Sekou wrote a blog about Cenk a month or two ago reporting that he isn't ready to come over yet, and although his game was intriguing, he may never become an NBA player. I'll see if I can dig it up ...

We need to forget about Cenk Akyol and David Andersen until they are actually in a Hawks uniform, especially Akyol.

Regarding Salim, he could be a great player. I'm willing to be patient with him, and see what he can do with a little more time in the NBA.