• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Chad Ford Latest Mock "Preview"

AHF

• Moderators

In his blog he posted his new top 7. I will be hella pissed if we allow Aldridge to drop to Minnesota.

Quote:

1. Raptors: Andrea Bargnani

2. Bulls: Tyrus Thomas

3. Bobcats: Rudy Gay

4. Blazers: Adam Morrison

5. Hawks: Shelden Williams

6. Wolves: LaMarcus Aldridge

7. Celtics: Brandon Roy

Quote:

In his blog he posted his new top 7. I will be hella pissed if we allow Aldridge to drop to Minnesota.

Quote:

1. Raptors: Andrea Bargnani

2. Bulls: Tyrus Thomas

3. Bobcats: Rudy Gay

4. Blazers: Adam Morrison

5. Hawks: Shelden Williams

6. Wolves: LaMarcus Aldridge

7. Celtics: Brandon Roy

you know i'm torn on whether to pick Sheldon over Aldridge. IMO Sheldon has everything on Aldridge except height. unfortunately you can't teach height.

ROY ROY ROY ROY

• Moderators

Quote:

the only way to justify doing that is to trade down. How can a gm make up his mind without seeing other players for workouts?

By reviewing game tape - which is probably more valuable than workouts anyway. All GMs should be flexible enough to run through the workouts before a final decision is made, though.

I totally agree if BK REACHES and picks Shelden at 5.....I am rooting as hard as I can for Belkin to get sole ownership of this team and clean house. Belkin would need to fire everyone from the top down if this happens.

Management is clueless is they pick him at 5. Now if they trade down then I am okay with Williams, but not at 5, especially is LA is still there.

• Moderators

If the first four picks include Thomas, Roy, Aldridge and Bargnani, I would seriously consider Shelden Williams along with PG prospects (Foye, M.Williams, Rondo, etc.). If Aldridge (especially) is on the board, we need to take him or at a bare minimum trade down so that we can capture some of the obvious value of Aldridge being still available at #5.

I'd imagine that if BK or most any other GM does pass on Aldridge then it's due to some reason. Most likely it would be because they are worried about his back problems. They might also think he plays too soft, etc.

I just dont think Shelden Williams will be much of an NBA player. Reminds me of Marcus Fizer. Also he doesnt really fit what we need in a big which is a bigger than normal big to make up for our slightly undersized forwards. Further, if there is such a thing, he just doesnt seem like a BK type player. It also makes no sense that everyone would know that we'll take Shelden when that actually goes against the idea that BK doesnt like to let anyone know what he plans to do. I am worried that we may take Thomas or Bargnani or Gay, but I just dont see us taking Shelden. Especially not over the best of Roy or Foye which should fit us well, or over a center prospect that fits us as well as O'Bryant might.

• Premium Member

Back when he was ranked 17 and 18 by these mock boards....

That by draft time Sheldon will hit top 7. Well, we still have a couple of weeks and he's slated 5th. Unfortunately too many of you don't see the point.

Sheldon is probably the second best player in this draft (behind Morrison). Shelden brings much experience. Matched up head to head with Aldridge, he dominated Aldridge.

Like i have said before.

Williams dominates Aldridge... then Aldridge has potential.

Williams dominates Aldrdige... then Williams has no upside.

Sometimes, it's just best to go with the best, most proven guy. Especially when you have a team filled with hopefuls.

• Premium Member

1. Defensive player of the year 2 years in a row.

2. 22.6 ppg, 11.4 rpg, 3.6 bpg against other first round Centers/PFs this year.

3. Wooden finalist (3rd place).

4. Finishes his career 3rd in ppg, rpg, and bpg in the HISTORY of the NCAA.

5. TEAM USA Basketball Male Player of the year 2005... (award considers both NCAA players and NBA Players).

6. World University Games MVP.

Quote:

Was named All-Tournament at the AAU World Championship. Team's title victory in that tournament marked the first time in 15 years a U.S. team won the event, which took place in France. Posted 8.2 points, 5.8 rebounds, 1.6 blocks and 3.0 blocks per game in 19.0 minutes as Duke freshman. Recorded 12.6 points, 8.5 rebounds and 3.0 blocked shots per game as a sophomore, while shooting .586 from the field. Led the ACC in blocks, second in offensive rebounds, third in total rebounds and fourth in defensive rebounds. 111 rejections established a Duke single-season record and was good for ninth in the nation. A third team Basketball Times All-America, second-team All-ACC, first-team NABC All-District 5, USBWA All-District 3, ACC All-Defensive team, unanimous ACC All-Tournament team and NCAA All-Atlanta Regional selection.

It amazes me how you guys put LIKELY BUST T. Thomas ahead of a guy with this pedigree. Shelden just might be the best player out of this draft.. .Either he or Morrison... And you guys bellyache because a team that lacks interior defense might take him 5th?

Please tell me why he shouldn't be the 5th pick?

The argument for not taking him 5th would be acting on the (possibly, maybe even likely) assumption that he'd be available later, so trading down and gaining more assets would be possible.

Quote:

Williams dominates Aldridge... then Aldridge has potential.

Williams dominates Aldrdige... then Williams has no upside.

Yeah you're probably right. It probably has nothing to do with Aldridge being younger, quicker, more skilled offensively, being able to raise his hands a full 6 inches higher, and possibly being an impact player on BOTH sides of the floor as opposed to just defense.

It must just be because scouts love players who get dominated.

Great post.

• Premium Member

That's a big assumption..

However, what's the basis for that assumption?? Somebody's Mock that is subject to change every hour??? If the first time you had ever looked at a Mock was today and it said Shelden Williams #5... would you think... Wow, that's much too high.. The guy who was defensive player of the year for the last 2 years, Wooden Award Finalist, MVP of the World University Games, and 3rd in NCAA History in rpg, ppg, and bpg is surely going to fall?

Would you really say that?

I think that many HSers are prejudiced by the mocks and believe it or not, the mocks are often just as wrong as they can be. Moreover, the mock preparers sometimes based their mocks on their feelings about a player (for instance, Simmons dropped on draft express reportedly because he locked them out of a workout)... or based on Payola... yes, some of these mocks get paid for putting a guy in the right light. Agents know that some lazy GMs pay attention to the rumors.

And it is you guys who have never watched a guy play who become their tool... I'm sure Chad Ford enjoys to see the chatter that you guys give his suggestions because it gives him a bigger bargaining chip.

Well one thing's for sure, the scouts and especially the media aren't always right...why else would the 50th pick in last year's draft have had more impact on his team than the vast majority of those drafted before him?

It sure ain't an exact science - but it's fun to speculate on...

I wasn't on board with the Shelden pick. The more I hear every Hawks fan try to justified not picking him. The more I want the Hawks to pick him. One thing I know is a certain. This guy will not be a bust. In a draft will as many questionable players. Shelden is the only sure thing and he solve a huge need. He may not be 7'0. He sure can play as a 7'0. If BK truly feel Shelden is the guy at 5. Then I will trust him. His 1st round picks have been very good. Quite frankly he does know more than us. Whether any of us Arm-Chair GMs want to admit it or not.

• Premium Member

It's funny to me..

But an 18.8 ppg, 10.1 rpg, and 3.6 bpg player who was his team's second option doesn't seem like he plays on 1 side of the floor too me...

It's funny because when Duke spanked Texas, Aldridge didn't start scoring until Williams was on the bench laughing.

Every year, we hear about this age and because somebody has the right body shape.. or even because he has a longer reach... But look at the dominance. The dominance is with the landlord.

Quote:

His 1st round picks have been very good. Quite frankly he does know more than us. Whether any of us Arm-Chair GMs want to admit it or not.

If he was that smart he would have taken one of the franchise pgs available last year.

All he did was take the best player in the draft in the long term. Now he is likely looking for the most sure thing in a very weak draft. Shelden and Roy are the only sure things in this draft.

Will I be upset if he passes over LaMarcus? Damn right I will be. I have wanted LaMarcus over anyone else in this draft. I still stand by that and if LaMarcus is there. I hope he does take him.

However, if he feel Shelden can provide more impact this year and perhaps be the missing piece. Then I will not fault the choice. Hawks have to be in playoff contention this year. Make our 1st round pick next season non-top 10.