• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

BABCOCK SAID IT... NOT DIESEL.

Diesel

• Premium Member

I like JT, I feel that if he had better coaching he'd be allstar PLUS...

However, in that letter that Babcock wrote, it's more than Evident that JT at the POINT is not something that Babcock considers for the future.

Say what you want...

Call it like you wish....

That's what Babcock suggested.

"We are not happy with our number of turnovers each game, and we are talking to teams daily about trade options that will address our weaknesses. Dickau was actually making very good progress in practice until his injury was daignosed....he had been playing with the torn meniscus all season, but was so tough that he practiced through the pain everyday. It was affecting his shot and his ability to move as quickly as he wanted, but in six weeks he should be ready. We don't, however, expect a rookie to lead our team at this stage, so we are looking at alot of options. I apologize for the sloppy play to date, but we did not expect more from Dickau at this early stage....it will take him a good season to get acclimated to the NBA as it does for most late first round picks."

Show me one place in that statement that says he or the team is unhappy with JT, specifically.

He talks about being upset with TOs. Is that all JT?? Or even mostly JT. As the primary ballhander (and as a relatively new ballhandler at this level), JT is expected to have some TOs. What is BigDog's excuse?? Or SAR's?? I think JT has handled things fairly well considering two new teammates and a new position.

He talks about being unhappy with DD's play in particular. Again, not a word about JT.

There is not one single word in Babs' e-mail to suggest that anything that you have said on this matter has even the most remote basis in fact.

I believe JT could be up for a trade...but to find

a trade that really helps(unless we package Shareef)

I don't know what much options he has with JT.

JT could be traded if the right deal comes along.

In reply to:

I like JT, I feel that if he had better coaching he'd be allstar PLUS...

Where does Babcock say this? It seems his letter mainly dealt with his disappointment over the turnovers and his latest bust pick, Dan Dickau.

JT's turnovers have come down lately...way down. Meanwhile, Big Dog and SAR continue to commit them at alarming rates.

• Admin

You can interpret what he said in ANY number of ways. Don't pretend that what he said was straight forward. What he said was vague at best. Give it up already get over it. He never once mentioned JT. In fact he talked about Dickau, which I would interpret more as him wanting a quality backup instead of trading one of the better PG's in the league. Laughable.

You give your opinion and when people don't agree with you you keep on and on and on and on about it. very annoying.

Right on the money kelston. Nowhere in any of that is any refrence to JT or even the point position. It's 100% speculation, pure fantasy from an obsessive overactive imagination. But that obsessive speculation is part of the fantasy that there are still blockbuster trades to be made, still giants to be slain; and alas poor Don Quixote..... still tilting at the windmills despite it all. Try not to point and laugh.

• Premium Member

No GM in their right mind would ever come right out and say, " this player is on the trading blocks". Not even if it was a known fact.

However, for Babcock to say.. .We're looking at trades options for a PG and then to suggest that DD is not ready to LEAD our TEAM as a rookie is quite a bit more than just talking about BUs.

WTF are you reading. What do you think lead our team MEANS? DO you think he's talking about a reserve?? Please. NO RESERVE is expected to LEAD our team. However, LEAD our team refers to something that the starting PG does. Where's JT? I can tell you where he's not. He's not leading our team in Babcock's eyes.

Secondly. JT's contract is coming up. The rest of his class has been signed to an extension. Did JT get his? I may have missed a news report but did JT get his extension already? IF not... Why not?

Also, do you think Babs really wants to spend 6 million over the cap to pay for Terry? That's a net of 12 million dollars. We are at the cap now. With Salary increases and JT's expected Extension, we'd be paying alot. Easier would be to trade Terry and another player and get a easier salary.

I don't think you guys are hearing Babs at all. What I hear is him saying that NOBODY is untradable... That includes JT. Especially if the turnovers don't come down.

• Premium Member

In reply to:

You can interpret what he said in ANY number of ways.

When he talks about a BU not being able to LEAD the team but he's still persueing trade opportunities... Please tell me these NuMBER of ways that that can be interpreted...

I think you're fooling yourself.

• Admin

you are reading your own ideas into his words. Everyone I read suggests that we need a backup PG. The only people that had Dickau slated to "run this team" were a select group of fans on this board. Nobody associated with the Hawks ever suggested that Dickau was the future of this team. He was drafted as a backup and right now he doesn't have what it takes to "lead this team". You are reading way too much into it.

You don't trade an 18/8 player unless you know you can't resign him or he has an attitude problem. We all know JT isn't an attitude problem and unless they make an embarassing offer, he will sign with them. The teams other problems are not his fault. You are making blind assumptions.

• Admin

You contridict your own assumptions. You say he's talking about a BACKUP and talking trades, and then you make weak assumptions that this somehow means we are talking about trading JT. That's silly. JT was never mentioned or hinted at. He's doing his job. He was talking backup, which with or without dickau, WE DO NOT HAVE RIGHT NOW. We have one guy who can run the team and that's not going to cut it.

Babcock never said dickau was the future of this team. he was drafted as a BACKUP, who COULD POSSIBLY, be insurance if JT isn't able to do it. JT has proven already that he's able to lead this team (as evident by the total lack of leadership and direction when he's off the floor). open your eyes.

• Premium Member

Come on man. When Babcock said that 6 weeks Tough Dickau will be back... BUt I don't think he's ready to LEAD the team...

He's not really talking about his ability to be a BU. [censored], Terry plays about 38 mpg. Shoot, even Walter can get out there for 10 minutes and not [censored] up. Especially with the simple plays we run. That's not leading the team.

Leading the team is those other 38 minutes. When guys look up to you to run the offense. Babcock saying DD is not ready to lead the team sorta says that JT may be on the blocks if he can find the right deal.

• Admin

Why would he say that about a backup? Because we need a BACKUP who can run the offense. Right now we don't have one. If you weren't so full of yourself and desperate to be "right" you could see that.

JT can't play 48 minutes. When he leaves the game the offense crawls. We need someone off the bench who can "lead the team". Seems pretty simple to me guy.

• Premium Member

Our Salary Cap and JT's Contract for 1.

JT's development as a PG for 2.

The fact that with the talent that we have now, would we need a 8 million dollar PG to win for 3.

BUT THE STRAW THAT BROKE THE CAMEL'S BACK.

Is the words of Babcock who alludes to Dickau in a team leadership role. Why? Babcock also talks about trading. Trading who?

Well, I think we are stable at:

SG, SF, PF, and C.

I mean even our Bench is strong with Glover and Hendu off the bench.

sure we can trade for a BU PG... [censored], we can go out and buy one... BUT Why is Dickau being talked about as Leading this team?

If Babcock would have said.. "Dickau is not ready to run this offense"... That's one thing. BUT it's a whole different story when he says... "Dickau is not ready to LEAD This TEAM".

YOU OPEN YOUR EYES>>>>>

• Admin

I mean c'mon, just say "i'm assuming all this". It's the truth. You are making assumptions that are really based off one sentence.

Do you REALLY believe that after the way dickau has failed to play this season, compared to what JT is doing, that they are REALLY considering that dickau is the "future" of this team??? I mean my god man.

JT's contract? An 8 million dollar PG? WTF??!?! They aren't sweating JT's contract. Jt is the heart of this team! A casual basketball fan could watch 3 games this season and figure that out. You think babcock and Lon and everyone else associated with this team don't know that?? You don't trade the heart of your team! Not to mention the best 3rd option in the game today, period.

Why does stinger call him "the engine"? Because he makes this team GO.

everyone you said is JUST an assumption. Don't portray it as anything else. I know admiting it invalidates your comments. But c'mon, it's true. Nothing was said to clearly assume that.

You are finding pieces that happen to fit and saying they make the puzzle.

The question was about our LACK OF DEPTH at PG, not about our PG position and that is what Babs is addressing. We DO need to a solid backup PG who can come in and spell JT at times. As things stand now, when JT goes out, there is a HUGE drop off in production at the PG position. We don't need to replace JT. JT is doing great! Statistically, he's a top 5 PG in the NBA and his leadership qualities and great attitude only enhance his value. If its obvious to the fans and the coaching staff, don't you think its obvious to Babs?

All this speculation by you is just that, speculation. You are the ONLY person on the board who interpreted Babs comments the way you did. Think about it. What PG can we possibly bring in who will be more productive than JT? In addition, who is going to back that PG up? Even if we brought in Andre Miller (who by the way is not playing as well as JT despite the fact that he is supposedly a better PG and is also playing for a contract), who is going to back Miller up?

By the way, you said we are solid at C, PF, SF and SG. We are every bit as solid at STARTING PG as we are at any other position. JT is a top 5 PG in the NBA. What we need to do is figure out a way to get Kenny Anderson to come in and backup JT. He is unhappy with his minutes in Seattle and he LOVES the ATL. The Sonics are also willing to dump him at a bargain price in that they will pick up half of his salary. I wonder is something can be done?

• Premium Member

Again...

Saying " I don't think Dickau is ready to run the offense"

and

"I don't think Dickau is ready to Lead this team"

are 2 different things. You can say what you feel Babcock Meant to say... BUt WHat Babcock did say (amoungst talk of finding a trade that will help our turnovers) is that he don't believe that Dickau is ready to LEAD THIS TEAM.

Again.. My question... If that doesn't suggest that JT may be on the blocks... What is it saying?

Also. Before you try to muddy the water talking about Backups... Why do you feel that a BU's job is to lead the team. Behind JT, a BU will only play Maybe 10-12 minutes. That's not long enough to make a big difference in how we handle turnovers.

My thinking on the turnovers are that it's mostly Missing coaching.

However, Babcock has to look at all that plus he has to decide weather JT is worthy of a bigger longer contract that will put us over the luxury tax....

With all that to consider. YOU BETTER BELIEVE that JT is NOT untradable.

No u don't. All you have is a biased opinion and concealed dislike for JT and a desire to trade him. For months you produced incredible straw man arguments for trading JT. Nothing of any real substance which demands his head should be on the block.....Nothing. Under a true coach this man will bloom into a GP type player.-- And you wish to trade him??? Something upstairs isn't connecting D, you need to rethink your position. JT is one of the up and coming stars of this league, everyone seems to know that but you and your alter ego or alias hotlantadude. Let the trade JT talk go dog, without him the hawks win no games....period.

• Premium Member

it's what fans do when their GMs make vague and unexpected comments...The fact of the matter is that none of us no for sure that JT is not on the trading blocks AND he is the most expendable of the 3 stars b/c of his contract situation and youth. To assume that without JT the Hawks win no games is plain stupid, for we can all rest assured that the Hawks would not trade JT without getting just compensation in return. For example, JT might be traded to a team along with 1 or 2 other Hawks in return for a more traditional, veteran PG and a good perimeter SG. In this scenario, the Hawks have time to groom Dickau for the role he was drafted for and the perimeter SG will do what the Hawks expect him to do - shoot well enough to take pressure off Big Dog & Reef.

There are a plethora of possibilities that would IMPROVE the Hawks by trading JT and he is not untouchable. If the Hawks traded JT it likely would have less to do with JT's inabilities (and I think we all agree he is a tremendous player) and more to do with helping the Hawks improve as a TEAM. This might or might not happen if they don't trade JT, but I for one am not convinced that Hawks' management - b/c of the "playoffs or bust" guarantee - are willing to wait.

Everyone try to remember that despite how much we like one player over another, the Hawks will do what they think best suits the team, even if it means trading JT.