• Raised $390 of $700 target

Potential Houston- Atltanta Deal!!!!

b3bawla

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really feeling this deal. I didn't know that Head was as good of a ballhandler and passer as many say he is. And I really like the comparison to a poor man's Gilbert Arenas (though I'm not expect 28 points and 6 dimes per).

Head/Lue

JJ/Salim

Smoove/Chillz

Shelden/Marvin

Zaza/Estaban

That's not bad rotation of 9 (not really counting Estaban). And that's not counting what we get for Al or what we get with our 2nd rounder this year. It'd be nice if we could get a mid to late lottery 07 1st round pick for Al. And then with the 2nd rounder from this year we could get Solomon Jones, Pittsnoggle, Barea, James White, Mardy Collins, Alexander Johnson, Marcus Vincius or Josh Boone.

• Premium Member

The leap of faith is that:

We take Roy.

And Boston and Minny does not take Shelden.

OK let's consider the draft:

1. Bargnani

2. Aldridge = promise.

3. Gay

4. Morrison = we have to hope that PTL doesn't take Roy here.

5. Roy = promise

6. Thomas = this is wishful thinking.

7. ????

Boston doesn't really need another PG.

Their problem is frontcourt defense. So Marcus Williams, Foye is not really a good choice for them.

This is a risky venture for the Hawks unless Arm Tellem smooves the way for the trade to happen.

Boston needs a pg and they will draft Marcus Williams. If you read a lot of draft sites, then you'd see that Ainge desperately wants a true pg since he doesn't have one of a starting caliber on his team. Delonte West started at point last year and he's really a scoring pg. All reports make it seem as if the Celtics have really targeted Marcus Williams.

As it happens Boston was the last place where Shelden W. worked out before apparently getting a promise from somewhere. I definitely see Boston as a team to count with when looking at this possible ATL/HOU trade.

Personally I'm not that thrilled with this Head & 8th deal. Luther Head is a nice player, but I don't see him starting next to JJ. Maybe he is about equal value for trading down to 8th, but not quite the player I see the Hawks going with at PG.

He references a possible trade down.

5 options for Hawks at No. 5

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 06/26/06

Not only is there no consensus on which player will be taken with the No. 1 pick in Wednesday night's NBA draft — Andrea Bargnani, LaMarcus Aldridge, Adam Morrison? — there's no real consensus on the top six or seven players in this draft.

That uncertainty could work in the Hawks' favor. With the fifth pick, and barring a trade down, they could be poised to snatch a player rated atop their draft board.

Heres a look at five possibilities for the Hawks, listed alphabetically:

LaMARCUS ALDRIDGE / 6-11, 245, PF/C, Texas

• Why they draft him: He makes as much or more sense as any player in this draft for a Hawks team that played all last season with Zaza Pachulia as the only capable post player on the roster.

• Why they don't: Fair or not, Aldridge's toughness has been questioned since his high school days. And he did little to answer those questions with his performance against LSU in the NCAA tournament.

ANDREA BARGNANI / 7-0, 240, PF, Italy

• Why they draft him: As gifted an offensive performer at his size as there is in this draft, he would give the Hawks a mismatch option they haven't enjoyed in years with his ability to shoot from long distance and drive to the basket with either hand.

• Why they don't: Hawks GM Billy Knight has seen him a half a dozen times in person, but is he ready to gamble on Bargnani reaching his potential in time to help turn the franchise around? Probably not.

BRANDON ROY / 6-6, 200, SG/SF, Washington

• Why they draft him: Much like Joe Johnson, Roy is proficient in every facet of the game and versatile enough to play several positions.

• Why they don't: With much greater needs at other positions, drafting Roy simply doesn't make much sense for the Hawks, who would play him off the ball a majority of the time.

MARCUS WILLIAMS / 6-3, 205, PG, UConn

• Why they draft him: There's little debate about Williams being the best pure point guard in this draft. He's far and away the most polished passer.

• Why they don't: If the Hawks feel they can get a better point guard in free agency or a trade, they won't draft one.

SHELDEN WILLIAMS / 6-9, 258, PF/C, Duke

• Why they draft him: He is the one player who would fill one of the Hawks' most glaring needs, and NBA execs are convinced he'll be a solid pro for years.

• Why they don't: As quality a player as Williams was at Duke, he spent most of his time in college dominating a weaker class of inside players than he'll face in a NBA practice.

Quote:

Here it is

Do you guys like this deal? Basically we draft Roy, Houston drafts Shelden. We swap those 2 and get Luther Head as well?

Is Head a potential starter with JJ in the backcourt?

I hope not. If BK drafts Roy and then gives him away, I will start rooting for Belkin to win and run his sorry ass out of town. I think Roy would help us a lot more than Shelden. But there is little chance Roy will still be available at #5.

I haven't seen Head play. What is it that people like?

I see Houston picked him in the first round last year and is willing to trade him and the #8 pick to get another guard. Sounds like they've given up on him. So why do we want him? Is he really better than Ivey?

Houston picked him in the 20's, though, and Roy is special (and bigger). I suspect people like his all around combo abilities. From what I've seen, Head is vaguely reminiscient of Foye. Has good handles (differs from Foye) and is an outstanding on-ball defender (like Foye). Not a great shooter. More of a scorer than Ivey; probably a better defender, too.

I haven't watched him too much so I'm not the most informed guy. But I remember him from college reminding me a lot of Gilbert Arenas the Arizona version. He was very active and aggressive (kinda like Bob Sura), good ballhandler (but nothing spectacular), seemed to be confident in himself, and a good outside shot. I also remember him doing this from high school...it shows his athleticism and creativity. And a lot of last year's draft sites say he has the potential to be a very good defender b/c of his athleticism.

Now I'm not sure why he's getting traded. I wouldn't think that Houston is giving up on him, as he got better and better as the year went on. Maybe they are just so high on Roy that they feel they are trading a 6th man and potential starter (Head) for potential superstar (Roy). I dunno to much about Houston's situation.

BTW Here's a highlight package

I actually like this deal. We get true value for the 5th pick instead of stretching the value for Williams if we are the only team that wants Williams in the Top 5.

Will Roy be there at 5?? Will Shelden be there at 8??

Risky business, but I like the deal.

Quote:

Houston picked him in the 20's, though, and Roy is special (and bigger). I suspect people like his all around combo abilities. From what I've seen, Head is vaguely reminiscient of Foye. Has good handles (differs from Foye) and is an outstanding on-ball defender (like Foye). Not a great shooter. More of a scorer than Ivey; probably a better defender, too.

Yea that sounds like a pretty good comparison. I imagine that Head's shooting percentages will come up some in the next few years prolly to 43-45 range. I expect that shooting 45 percent will be hard for Foye in the league. But I see and like your comparison.

Quote:

Will Roy be there at 5?? Will Shelden be there at 8??

Risky business, but I like the deal.

It's not that risky. If Roy is taken by our pick, the deal is obviously off. If we grab Roy and Minny or Boston picks Shelden, then we end up with one of the best players from the draft (good production and potential). If we end up with Roy, I DEFINITELY won't be mad at that.

• Premium Member

I was thinking about it...

You know this could wind up being the biggest screwjob in the History of basketball.

Have we ever considered that Houston may strongly want Shelden too?

Imagine. We work out this deal on paper..

Atlanta picks Brandon Roy

Minny picks Marcus Williams.

Boston picks Tyrus Thomas.

With Shelden Williams on the board...Houston takes Shelden.

Houston's GMs start high fiving his scouts.

No deal is ever made between Houston and Atlanta. Houston wanted Shelden the whole time.

Now... back to the thought.

Why does Houston want Roy?

I know he's the most complete player in the draft, but he's not a PG and otherwise he plays the same position as Tmac...

However, part of the failing of Houston has been not being able to get solid play next to Yao.

Here's what one fansite says about Shelden for Houston:

Quote:

Shelden Williams on the Houston Rockets?

Though Shelden Williams isn't the flashiest pick in this season's draft, I'm partial to players with motors like the one he has. He won't put up the kind of numbers in the NBA that he did at Duke, but if you select Shelden Williams, there's a good chance you won't have to worry about the power forward position for many years. That's not something the Rockets can say right now with Juwan Howard and Stromile Swift.

Here's what it says about Roy.

Quote:

Brandon Roy on the Houston Rockets?

Roy would be a tremendous addition to Houston. Though he still needs to bulk up to be more effective at this level, Roy, at 6-foot-5, would give the Rockets more defensive size that they desperately crave out of the two. His versatility on both ends of the floor would certainly make Jeff Van Gundy's job a lot easier. This is a smart, skilled player who, if drafted by the Rockets, could become their starting two guard for years.

• Premium Member

I don't disagree with you much, but here I disagree.

I like Roy. I think he's one of the better players in the draft, but I don't know if he's that needed for us. He's JJ. I had once believed that having 2 JJs is a good thing, but now, I have strong doubts. JJ really needs an uptempo OG or uptempo PG next to him. Somebody who can create his own points by driving the lane.

For a 1st option, JJ goes to the free throw line far too little.

That's why Iverson, Gordon, and even Francis would be good fits to play alongside JJ. These guys can score with the ball in their hand.

Out of this draft, we don't need an Andre Miller type. We don't need another JJ. If we pick a PG, we would need a guy who could score off of his own dribble by driving and dishing or driving and lay in.