Calm Down

djcorley

I really, really like the Shelden Williams pick. The Hawks have to sniff the playoffs this year after DOUBLING their win total from last year. Do we need some point guard help? Sure we do. But, I believe more from a defensive standpoint the offensively. We could use another combo guard that can take the pressure off of JJ and allow him to flow between the 1 and 2 more freely...ala D-Wade.

The biggest problem this team had last year was on the interior. ZaZa was the ONLY viable big on the roster. And big isn't just about height. It's about how you show up on game day. Shelden Williams plays big. much bigger then his 6'9'.

I like the fact that you know what you're going to get with him and although he's a forward...he can play the 5 and he brings a 5's "skillset" to the table in terms of the things that he does well.

Foye or Roy would have been great picks and they will probably become great players. But, I think the player that helps the Hawks to win this year most is Land Lord!

Quote:

I really, really like the Shelden Williams pick. The Hawks have to sniff the playoffs this year after DOUBLING their win total from last year. Do we need some point guard help? Sure we do. But, I believe more from a defensive standpoint the offensively. We could use another combo guard that can take the pressure off of JJ and allow him to flow between the 1 and 2 more freely...ala D-Wade.

The biggest problem this team had last year was on the interior. ZaZa was the ONLY viable big on the roster. And big isn't just about height. It's about how you show up on game day. Shelden Williams plays big. much bigger then his 6'9'.

I like the fact that you know what you're going to get with him and although he's a forward...he can play the 5 and he brings a 5's "skillset" to the table in terms of the things that he does well.

Foye or Roy would have been great picks and they will probably become great players. But, I think the player that helps the Hawks to win this year most is Land Lord!

You don;t take role players with the 5th pick.

also watch Seattle in the offseason..they jsut picked Sene so now have 3 young centers plus mikki moore who sucks.

Petro

Swift

Sene

somebody has to go and i'm sure they'd like Al.

imagine this:

ZaZa/Petro/whoever

Marvin Williams/Shelden Williams/whatever

Josh Smith/Childress

Joe Johnson/Tyron Lue

ballhandling sg or pg/salim stoudamire.

Quote:

Quote:

You don;t take role players with the 5th pick.

He's not even played a game yet, Hots.

Weaknesses: Rigid. Williams lacks great fluidity running the floor, his movements could be described as stiff or mechanical ... Lacks the ability to improvise much in the open floor: catching and dribbling/passing before a shot, he's a lot more comfortable with set plays or crashing the glass ... Offensive game may be limited on next level due to lack of spontaneity (the Duke computer chip in his head runs best in half court set) ... Lacks great vision or passing ability ... His body is very rigid partly due to his muscle mass ... High school incident not considered indicative of his true character, especially after Duke retained his scholarship. He's been a model citizen ever since (accusation) and comes from strong family background ... Has given up a number of big games to post players as a senior, partly due to Duke's perimeter defensive approach ..."

He seems like a combo of Henderson and Antonio Davis... And probably more of a poorer version of Antonio Davis.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Weaknesses: A bit laid back at times, which leads to scoring in bunches and then going cold. Must understand that he will not always be the biggest and most athletic player on the floor. Strictly an inside talent, and could use some post development. Still soft at times, which leads to him being a weak interior defender. Not a great shot blocker, despite his athleticism and height. Needs to develop a killer instinct.

Quote:

Weakness: He is dangerously close to being a combo guard. Too small to be a shooting guard not enough point guard skills to run a team offense ... While he shows range on his shot, his mid-range shooting remains streaky ... Must improve on moving without the ball he often needs the ball in his hands to create offense ... His ball handling could stand to be improved if he is to play some point guard in the NBA ... Size. Many undersized guards have a hard time transitioning to the NBA game. His has the benefit of long arms which allow him to play big for his size ... Not much of a 3-point shooter although he does have the ability to make 3's. He often doesn't get his body fully squared to the basket ...

Quote:

Weaknesses: Needs to add more strength...Tends to shy away from more physical play, although his improved strength (added 25 pounds of muscle since freshman year at Arizona) has changed that recently...Not a great leaper or very explosive and that leads to sometimes-flat turnaround jump-hooks in the lane. Also doesn't help his blocked shot numbers, which come mainly from decent timing...Concentration seems to fade at times

You probably wouldn't have wanted these guys either.

I think Shelden is going to bring some much need attitude to the paint and some "nastiness" we don't have. I think he's got a little more to offer in terms of being able to face up and knock down a 15 to 17 foot jumper. He's a defensive minded big man that will bang and not allow people to just waltz down through the lane uncontested. I think it was the right pick.

probably could have gotten him a little later. But, when you know what you want and more importantly what you NEED you don't chance it getting away and as it worked out Roy wasn't available at #8.

Shelden was the right pick for the Hawks in this particular draft. It was all over the board no one could really predict how the top 8 would go and no one player of the 8 was head and shoulders better then the others.

JJ needs some help in the backcourt without question. They still have Salim on the roster and he showed some flashes of brilliance last year. I love his attitude and HEART same kind of passion and heart you see with Shelden. They both hate to lose and will scratch and claw to the end. And that something this team needs now.

I think BK is doing an excellent job. and I predict the Hawks will be in the thick of the playoff race all season long.

Quote:

Quote:

Weaknesses: A bit laid back at times, which leads to scoring in bunches and then going cold. Must understand that he will not always be the biggest and most athletic player on the floor. Strictly an inside talent, and could use some post development. Still soft at times, which leads to him being a weak interior defender. Not a great shot blocker, despite his athleticism and height. Needs to develop a killer instinct.

Quote:

Weakness: He is dangerously close to being a combo guard. Too small to be a shooting guard not enough point guard skills to run a team offense ... While he shows range on his shot, his mid-range shooting remains streaky ... Must improve on moving without the ball he often needs the ball in his hands to create offense ... His ball handling could stand to be improved if he is to play some point guard in the NBA ... Size. Many undersized guards have a hard time transitioning to the NBA game. His has the benefit of long arms which allow him to play big for his size ... Not much of a 3-point shooter although he does have the ability to make 3's. He often doesn't get his body fully squared to the basket ...

Quote:

Weaknesses: Needs to add more strength...Tends to shy away from more physical play, although his improved strength (added 25 pounds of muscle since freshman year at Arizona) has changed that recently...Not a great leaper or very explosive and that leads to sometimes-flat turnaround jump-hooks in the lane. Also doesn't help his blocked shot numbers, which come mainly from decent timing...Concentration seems to fade at times

You probably wouldn't have wanted these guys either.

I haven't seen anybody claim he has a really good offensive game. His skills are rebounding and "defense" and that combined with his size puts him in the Davis/Henderson range.

Why didn't anybody else seemingly really want this guy if he's so great?

• Premium Member

Quote:

You really need to share with us how you had access to every draft room in the NBA this year.

I'd shell out some dough for that...

I don't think this is the disaster people are making it out to be. If the strategy was to acquire interior defense in the draft, and a veteran PG through free agency or trade, is that a terrible plan?

I'm not a huge fan of the Shelden pick. I think that the other teams who drafted around us showed us the right way to handle the situation. When you want a specific player that is lower value than your pick, find another way to acquire them.

Apart from that error I think we had a clear strategy, and if we can add a veteran PG we could really improve.

Quote:

Quote:

You really need to share with us how you had access to every draft room in the NBA this year.

I'd shell out some dough for that...

Who had him picked in the top 5 and that big a good thing? It seems like alot of people expected the Hawks to pick him. But who says that's a good thing that they did? d*ck V? He'd suck any Duke players dyck it seems like... ESP if they played in college for a few years.

Quote:

We can hate the choice the GM made...but we have to give the players a chance. I know all of us will be rooting for production.

Very True; you can hate the seletion but he has not played an NBA game yet so you dont know right now, dont judge too quickly.

LOOKING FORWARD TO THE SUMMER LEAGUE ANYONE KNOWS WHEN IT STARTS?

Quote:

I don't think this is the disaster people are making it out to be. If the strategy was to acquire interior defense in the draft, and a veteran PG through free agency or trade, is that a terrible plan?

I'm not a huge fan of the Shelden pick. I think that the other teams who drafted around us showed us the right way to handle the situation. When you want a specific player that is lower value than your pick, find another way to acquire them.

Apart from that error I think we had a clear strategy, and if we can add a veteran PG we could really improve.

Role players shouldn't be picked in the top 5.

Quote:

It was impossible to predict how the top 8 would play out. So, we don't know where people had Shelden rated. Doesn't really matter much either. He's a stud interior defender/rebounder and that's EXACTLY what this team need most.

you can get role players throughout the draft. Who else seeks to get role players in the top 5?