• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Positive Thread: Let's Look at Future Moves

b3bawla

First off, please let's not make this a "I Hate BK" or "Shelden will be a career backup" thread. If you feel like venting about that, there are tons of other threads for that. This thread is for positive ideas in how we can better our squad through free agency and trades.

OK. So our roster looks like this now

Lue/Salim/Ivey

JJ/Chillz

Smooze/Marvin/Smith

Landlord/Jones

Zaza/Estaban

As you can see I left Al off the squad. Us drafting Shelden seals the deal on him leaving. Hopefully we can get something for him. Considering our most glaring weakness is PG let's consider the options.

Portland now has Steve Blake, Jarret Jack, Sergio Rodriguez, and Dan Dickau at the point. I'd most want Jack, but I think they'd try to dump Darius Miles on us (and that ain't happening). Sergio would be fun, but since he can't play much D we prolly won't be too interested.

Boston's draft was basically traded for Telfair, so he's not going anywhere. But maybe we can get Delonte West or Rondo out of them (I'd prefer Delonte). How about Al for Jefferson and West...BTW the C's would be tough if that went through

Telfair/Rondo

Pierce/Allen

Wally/Green

Al/Gomes

Perkins/Kandi Man

Houston seems intent on getting rid of Gay. I heard that they may send Swift and Gay for Battier (I think that is nuts). Maybe we could offer Al and Salim for Head and Gay. Then ship Gay off to the highest bidder (for a draft pick).

Philadelphia and the Iverson madness is back to being an option since we didn't address the backcourt at all in the draft. Maybe Lue, Salim, and Al for AI. That would make us

AI/Ivey

JJ/Chillz

Smooze/Marvin/Smith

Landlord/Jones

Zaza/Estaban

New York...What can I say? I love this team. They make us look like the Spurs. Anyway, Zeke's always willing to do a deal. I'm sure we could get Francis (or maybe even Crawford or Marbury). I'm not sure that we'd want him...but as a last resort, he wouldn't be a bad choice. How about Al for Francis and a 1st rounder or maybe Mardy Collins (the next time they have one)?

Seatle has Robert Swift, Johan Petro, and Saer Sene. Add to that Nick Collison and Chris Wilcox. How about Al for Petro and Sene?

New Jersey...I really like this deal for both teams. Al Harrington and Lue for Marcus Williams and a pick (2nd rounder). This deal would make New Jersey seriously dangerous for the next 2 years or so. And it would get us a young PG.

Denver...We trade Al for Nene and some draft picks (the trade we turned down a while back.

How about Free Agency?

I wouldn't mind making a play for Mike James, Pittsnogle and Cato. Making our opening night roster

James/Lue/Ivey

JJ/Chillz/Salim

Smooth/Marvin/Donta

Shelden/Jones/ Pittsnogle

Zaza/Przbylla/Estaban

So what do you guys think? Where do we go from now?

GOod post, thank god somebody actualy believes in this team and those are the real Hawks fans. If you go to other teams forum you can see how exited they are about their pick even do some of them didn't like the pick they are still optimistic.

Here at Hawksquawk you can find Walter and many others whining like a little bitches just because Billy drafted what we needed the most and best defender in the toughest conference in college basketball.

If we can pick up Pittsnogle as an undrafted FA, I believe that would help us alot. it would give us another big, plus a scorer to help replace what we lose when Al leaves. BK needs to move quickly on that one. Do anyone have any insight on Gerry Mcnamara, PG out of Syracuse. He avg 16 pts,5.9 assists during his senior year. Other than his FT%, his other numbers aren't that impressive, which is probably why he went undrafted. Is there any other potential guard help out there through undrafted FAs?

MW...careful with the bitches comment. Disagreements don't mean you're not a Hawks fan. Just because you love the pick or have how ever many posts means JACK!

Other than that, I would think we're still in decent position to do some things. If we go into the season with Lue as the starter, I don't care what you think of the draft, it's going to suck! I'd like to get a PG that can grow with the team. This team also needs to open up the floor a little and run. We'll see........AL's number is coming up soon.

We've heard a lot of talk about defense and how we're going to play tough. Hadn't seen much of that.

I think both picks provide inside presence for us to play team defense. Reading the desrcipton on Solomon Jones on DraftExpress:

http://draftexpress.com/viewprofile.

They paint him as having a lot of upside, late bloomer, ten rebounds a game on a team that had very few wins. Had a huge game against Georgetown. He reminds me of Pape Sow who was also a late bloomer. He could be a sleeper that pays big dividends. He's got to hit the weight room though.

I am optimistic about the Hawks. I think little to nothing has been said about Shelden's maturity and leadership on the youngest team in the league. I think he will endear himself to his teammates by doing the dirty work inside and thus making everyone around him better. If that is the case, he doesn't need to be a superstar.

Quote:

Philadelphia and the Iverson madness is back to being an option since we didn't address the backcourt at all in the draft. Maybe Lue, Salim, and Al for AI. That would make us

AI/Ivey

JJ/Chillz

Smooze/Marvin/Smith

Landlord/Jones

Zaza/Estaban

New York...What can I say? I love this team. They make us look like the Spurs. Anyway, Zeke's always willing to do a deal. I'm sure we could get Francis (or maybe even Crawford or Marbury). I'm not sure that we'd want him...but as a last resort, he wouldn't be a bad choice. How about Al for Francis and a 1st rounder or maybe Mardy Collins (the next time they have one)?

With Philly's draft, I don't see them trading AI for anything resembling a forward. With their 3 picks last night (all three were SF and PF), they currently have, Iguadola, Korver, C. Webb, last night's 3 picks, and I'm sure I'm leaving someone out. Add Al to that mix and you've really got some kind of logjam. I think their draft shows they're only interested in moving AI if they can either get another guard or big man back and they're able to move C. Webb and/or Dalembert as well.

I hate to say it, but a Francis to NY for Al deal could be a possibility. I have mixed feelings about that. There's not denying Francis' talent, but has he ever been on a playoff team? You gotta' admit it though, team would look good on paper.

Francis/Lue/Ivey

JJ/Chillz/Slim

Smoove/Marvin

Landlord/Jones

ZaZa/Batista (weakest position on the team)

Of course, NY could run out a starting lineup of:

Marbury

Crawford

Al

Frye

Curry

which isn't too shabby either. Of course, the Eastern Conference All Star team could play in NY and lose 50 games.

Quote:

Darius Washington? Worth a look.

Yea he's worth a look...he reminds me of this year's Omar Cook. If he woulda stayed in college one more year, he'd prolly be a key contributer on a team. But now nobody will give him a real chance.

Quote:

If we can pick up Pittsnogle as an undrafted FA, I believe that would help us alot...

Bringing in Pittsnogle would be a great idea - even if he's a 3rd stringer. He can shoot and would increase our "tattoo per player" ratio bigtime. Plus he has a cool name. :-)

• Premium Member

1) The Harrington SNT deal

2) A free agent

Between those two, conventional wisdom would say Woody gets another PG and another C.

The outcome of the Hawks' 06-07 season was never dependent upon who BK selected at #5 (...though, arguably, the outcomes of the 08-09 et al seasons were).

Rather, the outcome of THIS season, and likely the 07-08 one as well, will be dependent upon the quality of these next moves.

In that context, I'm very content with adding Williams, who btw, as 22 year-old doesn't take away from the maturity of this, the youngest team in the history of the NBA.

Anyways... now let's watch the poker player really earn his keep. I have some confidence in BK on that front -- in a climate that pushed for an Eddy Curry acquistion, the ZaZa pick up was particularly impressive last off-season.