• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Possible Starting Point Guards Via Trade/FA

jezmund

Here is where everyone should post their picks for our starting PG spot. Feel free to explain how we should go about acquiring that player(s). It can be either who you want or who you think we'll go after.

----------------------------------------------------------

ANDRE MILLER: I say him if Denver has any interest in Al Harrington and/or Kenyon Martin is traded for a guard. This is a move that I think I'd like and would help to get us to the playoffs THIS year. He might not help us get to the Finals but I think he could help with the playoffs. He also isn't quite the cap killer of a Steve Francis, etc. and his deal has a manageable 3 years left on it I believe. Another question is, can he coexist with Joe?

MO WILLIAMS: I haven't seen much of him at all and I've read that his D is pretty weak so that already puts him down on my list. I'd like to see more of him to get a better opinion. He's just a guy I've seen mentioned multiple times.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

ANDRE MILLER: I say him if Denver has any interest in Al Harrington and/or Kenyon Martin is traded for a guard. This is a move that I think I'd like and would help to get us to the playoffs THIS year. He might not help us get to the Finals but I think he could help with the playoffs. He also isn't quite the cap killer of a Steve Francis, etc. and his deal has a manageable 3 years left on it I believe. Another question is, can he coexist with Joe?

I think A. Miller would be an excellent fit and should be able to co-exist with JJ just fine. A.M. isn't a big shooter anyway. He's quick enough to hold his own and has a little size.

Jezmund,

I would love to have Andre Miller running the point. A pass first point guard who can handle his own on D.

My question is would Denver be willing to trade Andre Miller for Harrington. What kind of package could the Hawks get if we can somehow get Miller/Nene?

Another possibility is Jay Williams. What is his status?

In a perfect world, I would trade Harrington for Clippers PG S. Livingston. Would that even be possible?

I'm liking Delonte West more and more. He's long, he's a good shooter, he's getting better. I don't know how good he is on defense, haven't seen quite enough Celtics games.

But with the Celts getting Telfair and very likely ending up with AI, we might be able to entice them with a SNT for Al. With Gerald Green and Wally World, I don't know if they'd be interested or not. Al is worth more than Delonte for sure, but at least we'd be getting something back for him. Maybe they can kick in Ratliff, who they just acquired in the draft as a toss in.

1. Jason Terry. Simply outbid DAL for his services. I'd go as high as 5 yrs/$55M starting at $9M a season. DAL is likely to match but I would put it out there and make them do it.

2. Shaun Livingston. The only thing that scares me about him is his health. If (BIG if) he checked out from a health standpoint, I'd offer the Clips their choice of Smoove, Marvin or Chillz (If I'm them I take Smoove). I don't know that I believe that Livingston will necessarily be as good as Smoove or Marvin individually but Marvin/Livingston beats Marvin/Smoove and Smoove/Livingston beats Smoove/Marvin in my opinion.

3. TJ Ford. Much easier to acquire than Livingston I think. My first choice would be to offer Chillz/Harrington for Ford/Magloire. I think that deal makes sense for both teams for a lot of reasons.

4. Devin Harris. Threaten to outbid DAL for JT if they don't trade Harris to us for Chillz/Salim. We could also take on Marquis Daniels' contract along with Harris to free up money for them to resign JT.

5. Ben Gordon. Not a true PG but I love his game and he could play with JJ. Sign and trade Al/Salim for Gordon and filler (maybe Sweetney).

6. Mo Williams. See the TJ Ford deal above.

7. Sam Cassell. 2 Yrs/$12M. Would LAC match?

8. Marcus Banks. Out bid everyone else.

9. Speedy Claxton. Out bid everyone else.

10. Baron Davis. Sign and trade for Al. Davis' salary and injury history scare me but he is the most talented guy on the list with the possible exception of Livingston.

11. Bobby Jackson. Only if we must. Bobby is already 33 and not a true PG.

Guest Walter

...and while I'd hate to trade JS rather than MW, Livingston is a prize and combined with any of our Sfs is better than any two of our Sfs IMO.

Good possibilities but BK would have to get his monstrous ego out of the way.

W

1. Jay Williams- I don't care what Billy Knight said at the season ticket holder's meeting. If he was that banged up he wouldn't be working out for all those teams. Personally I think BK & Bernie were talking about the early part of 2005 when Jay Williams worked out for the team. He did sprain his leg a week ago during a workout for some team.

2. Jason Terry- It won't happen but still it would be nice.

He would fit in pretty well here. He had a decent handle, decent jumper with range, and gives good effort on the D end. He is not a pure point guard but I remember reading somewhere how generally he takes care of the rock. He may not fit the role of the older vet Woodson is talking about wanting. If the Celts trade for AI and keep Telfair, then West could be available. Of course, some rumors were flying on 680thefan this afternoon that we are the third team in the Boston/philly trade. If this is true (a big if) then West could be part of this equation.

I have had West on my NBA Live roster this year. I traded for him and Nene using Al as bait for Nene and I forget what I used for West, but its quite possible that both are starting for the Hawks next year. That would be pretty funny. I really like West, but he is far from a traditional PG. He does have great length for the position and is a good defensive PG who can get into the lane and is also a respectable 3pt shooter as well.

I would still GREATLY prefer Cassell or Andre Miller, but I wouldnt be heartbroken to end up with West. If we are part of that deal I sure hope we arent giving up much to get him.

Quote:

Quote:

If West is so good wonder why Ainge is giving up on him.

West doesn't run the break well or get to the basket.

he is a good shooter and a good defender though.

If that is the case he makes zero sense for the Hawks. The Hawks need someone who can push the pace on the fast break, penetrate in the half court game and play good defense.

I still like D. West, but I wanted to toss Crawford in this thread since it was mentioned in another thread.

Crawford makes a ton of sense to me in every aspect except for salary. He'd be expected to log a lot of minutes in the backcourt with JJ, and I think he's plenty good enough with the ball to do it. He'd replace the scoring punch that we'd lose from Al. His versatility gives us the real option of going small and fast, with a three guard lineup of Salim/Crawford/JJ. Or, he can spell JJ and play alongside Salim or Lue.

I'm OK with Crawford's salary because he plays at a near superstar level. He's scored 50 in this league. He has a clutch reputation. He's big, fast, and CAN play defense (I've heard this argued both ways).

Phoenix-style lineup:

Salim/Crawford/JJ/Smoove/SW

Detroit-style half court:

Crawford/JJ/Marvin/SW/Zaza