• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Iverson article (mentions Hawks)

ATL2123

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/sports/14925179.htm

David Aldridge | It's a matter of time now: Iverson era about to end

By David Aldridge

Inquirer Columnist

NEW YORK - It is time to batten down whatever hatches you possess, or can borrow.

Back up your truck.

Allen Iverson will not be a 76er next season. At the least, he will not finish next season in the home white.

Write it in ink.

Now, I would never tell anyone else to bet the farm on anything, but if you have a spare farm - or a parcel of land that is otherwise undeveloped - put it on the table.

This will get done. Sooner or later, it will get done.

There has been too much smoke in the last two weeks for these tired old eyes not to search for the extinguishers. Too many near-deals for the obvious not to be, well, obvious.

Those who have hoped for, wished for, dreamed for this day, pay heed: Your moment is coming, and soon. AI is on his way out. You will have to find someone else to blame.

The Sixers, clearly, are doing much more than just blithely chatting with their league brethren; they are actively trying to divest themselves of their franchise player. They have made their choice (or their choice was made for them, as there is next to no interest in taking on the $43 million remaining on Chris Webber's contract). And it's just a matter of time before they find an Iverson deal that's to their liking.

It might be with Memphis, or Golden State, or Denver.

But Iverson won't be in Philadelphia much longer.

Iverson might be wearing Atlanta Hawks red this very moment (with free agent forward Al Harrington, in a sign-and-trade deal, and guard Josh Smith coming to Philly) if Atlanta's ownership situation wasn't so messed up, and there was one person definitely in charge down there.

It might still be Boston, with whom Billy King danced and danced earlier this week. I'm certain that the Sixers ultimately passed on the deal, for now, because they couldn't stomach the idea of AI's remaining in their division, haunting them the way Moses Malone haunted them from 1986 to '88 after being traded to Washington.

"That's one of their dilemmas," a league source said yesterday. "That's one of the things holding it up."

The Celtics' interest in Iverson is genuine and strong, perhaps stronger than that of any other team in the league. Even though Boston acquired point guard Sebastian Telfair from Portland last night, the Celtics, it says here, would not be afraid to play Iverson and Telfair together - or Iverson and Delonte West, the St. Joseph's product who quickly has developed into one of the better young point guards in the league.

You could certainly see West playing off the ball, the way he did for Phil Martelli when Jameer Nelson was his backcourt mate.

A foursome of Iverson, Telfair, West and Tony Allen, with Paul Pierce moving to small forward more or less permanently, would be as difficult a quartet of guards to cover as any in the game today.

But back to the parochial issues.

With Iverson out of town, the Sixers would be a different team - one built, for the moment, around Webber's half-court skills. It would mean more shots for Andre Iguodala and more touches for Samuel Dalembert, and it may mean that John Salmons sticks around instead of leaving via free agency. It would mean that Kyle Korver has to play off Webber - which could work, if there's a point guard in town next season who can distribute the ball.

But that's the short term. We know that the Sixers are going to strip down most of the current roster, and that the next couple of seasons are going to be tough ones for Maurice Cheeks and Company, no matter what.

This is about the near-end of an era that brought Philadelphia back from NBA obscurity to the Finals. During the last 10 years, the Sixers have mattered because, from the moment Iverson got to town, he was too compelling, too exciting and, yes, too controversial not to notice.

Iverson and Larry Brown were the Broad Street Odd Couple, with their combustibility threatening to tear the franchise apart at the same time their respective skills took the Sixers almost back to the top of the heap. Brown knew what it took King a few years to learn, that the best way to use Iverson was to find four other guys who didn't care about shooting, who would do all the dirty work while Iverson took all the shots.

Re-creating that kind of team today is extremely difficult, especially in an era when the rules make it harder and harder to guard anyone.

So, the Sixers appear committed to carrying out King's end-of-season promise to dramatically change who they are, and how they play. The first step was the biggest - admitting there was a problem. The rest will come more easily.

The inevitable, post-AI era is near at hand.

Enjoy the view.

I'd put my money on AI going to the Celts based upon the moves that Ainge made during the draft. Rondo and Jefferson could potentially be part of that package. A 3rd team(Hawks?) would also need to be involved in a deal of this magnitude.

Also, FWIW, the Celtics were going to take Shelden Williams to use as a part of this trade.

Agree JS is a super athlete Champ - but as far as being left handed let's face it - he can't finish with either hand unless he dunks it. His jumper improved a lot. He is a great help/blocking defender (but not so hot man-to-man).

I love the kid - he's exciting. Every time he misses a layup he runs to the other end of the floor to block the other team's shot...it's a guarrantee.

If we could get a player like AI and keep JS I'd do it in a heartbeat. All I'm saying is if we HAD to give up JS to make this team considerably better - we should at least think about it.

Couldn't have said it much better myself, DJ. I would hate to see Josh leave town because he is so exciting at times. Still, his value is high and I still think he may not progress much more beyond what he does already. I love that he worked on his jumper and continued to improve but like you said, he can't finish worth a darn and can't penetrate very well. I haven't seen much improvement there at all. In fact, that was the knock on him before he was drafted...that he was all athleticism and little b-ball skill. I'm not knocking the guy, but he is our most valuable trade asset IMHO.

He's 21 guys. And he's already has a career averages of 10ppg, 6rpg, 2spg, 2blk, and 30min. That ain't too bad. Our favorite ex-Hawk Boris Diaw also was pretty sad at finishing around the rim. Then it clicked and he domiated in the playoffs, dunking on folks and going up strong. I wouldn't say that Smoove is untradeable...but I wouldn't deal him for AI. I think I'd give up Marvin before I traded Smoove. But I wouldn't give up either for AI.