• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Denver goes insane, re-ups Nene for 6 yrs/$60 mil.

DJ_Money

Wow...the idea of getting a defensive big in the draft makes more and more sense as these deals roll in...

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_4005750

Quote:

Nene to stay

Nuggets forward agrees to 6-year, $60 million deal

By Adam Thompson

Denver Post Staff Writer

Nene has career averages of 10.7 points and 6.2 rebounds per game. (AP file)

First the bad news for Nene - the Brazilian soccer team lost in the World Cup on Saturday.

But as painful as that might be for any Brazilian, this weekend ended up far more good than bad for the Nuggets' restricted free agent. He got married Saturday and on Sunday OK'd a deal that will net him $60 million over six years to stay with the team that drafted him.

Nene's agent, Dan Fegan praised Denver owner Stan Kroenke, whose decisiveness helped eliminate a bidding war for the 23-year-old forward, who has career averages of 10.7 points and 6.2 rebounds per game.

"What I've learned through this process is I'm convinced Mr. Kroenke is going to do whatever it takes to bring a championship to Denver," Fegan said. "Make no mistake about it."

Between this deal and the extension small forward Carmelo Anthony agreed to Saturday, Kroenke has committed this weekend to spend approximately $140 million.

Denver may be close to keeping a third player in the fold, too. Fegan also represents power forward Reggie Evans, who is a restricted free agent whose name has already been linked to several teams around the league.

"We're making a lot of progress on Reggie and I'm hopeful we'll reach terms," Fegan said.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

This probably sets up a KMart deal. Where he goes, no idea. Hopefully it ain't us.

But Nene for $60 mil is a bit of a reach. He's coming off of major surgery, and hes relatively unproven. Big risk...

I'm surprised that things have evolved so quickly in only the second day of FA. One article said that Al would be in the second teir of players to get an offer. Hopefully if things continue as they have been, something will shake loose in short order. Maybe if will be worked out by the 12th when things can be finalized.

• Premium Member

I hope that this is a lesson for all of you guys that want to draft guards in the NBA draft and expect to sign big men as free agents. You have to over pay and still might get out bidded for an average role player. It happened last year and its happening again this year. Kudo's to BK for drafting bigs in this year's draft.

I don't think this is always the case. Occasionally you can find some decent bigs for cheap. There are always those cap busting head scratchers, but just last year Diop & Steven Hunter were both signed relatively cheap. There are a quite a few bigs out there this year, I'm hoping we'll land one for a reasonable amount. Personally, I hope we'll sign Jackie Butler to a contract similar to the one Zaza signed last year.

• Premium Member

The ones who said : We can just draft Foye and pick up a Big like Nene??

We wouldn't have even had a shot at Nene and then we would have had to overpay to get him...

Do you want to guess how much Ben Wallace will get now?

Quote:

The ones who said : We can just draft Foye and pick up a Big like Nene??

We wouldn't have even had a shot at Nene and then we would have had to overpay to get him...

<--------- right here is one of them. Cant get what ya want all the time.

Just wait till you see what Joel Przybilla and Nazr Mohammed will likely now get. I could handle paying one of them a deal starting at around $5 million a year, but both players will likely get a deal starting at around $8 million from some team. That's simply too much to pay for two very average big men. I'd rather make a deal for Chris Mihm, who is still on a relatively cheap deal for his production.

Quote:

You just now figured out that Big Ben is getting a max deal; here is a clue.... he has been in line for it all year. You really know a whole lot less about the NBA than you put on. This is hilarious...Thanks again Diesel!

I could see Pryz getting one that high. I remember reading that his agent was trying to get the Bulls to offer him a deal around the same amount of Tyson Chandler's. I think 8 would be about right for Pryz. However, if Nazr gets that much, there is something really wrong. He didn't impress me when he was here and I haven't been all that impressed since he moved on.

Either way, neither are worth that much. Przybilla will never score enough to warrant that type of money, and up until the last couple of years, Przybilla was a great shot blocker that wasn't a great defender. He was a very foul prone player. He's somewhat fixed that in Portland because he lost around 45 lbs and gained some quickness. Still, this is a guy who you will be lucky if he ever averages over 8 points a game in a year.

Nazr brings one thing to the table, and that is rebounding. He's a solid rebounder who is a horrible defender and offensive player. He's also unathletic and would never be able to get out and run with the players the Hawks have.