Harrington likely out as Hawk from AJC

Scott

• Premium Member

Harrington likely out as Hawk

In Atlanta, 'it's pretty much a wrap for me,' vet says

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/03/06

Al Harrington's tenure with the Hawks is apparently over.

"As of right now it's pretty clear to me that I won't be back in a Hawks uniform next year," Harrington said by phone Monday afternoon from his offseason home in Los Angeles. "It's pretty much a wrap for me there [Atlanta]."

The veteran forward and Hawks co-captain is an unrestricted free agent and said the Hawks have made it clear they have no intention of re-signing him. They could, however, re-sign him and then trade him.

The Indiana Pacers, the team Harrington left in a sign-and-trade two years ago to join the Hawks, and the Golden State Warriors are the teams making the most noise, Harrington said.

"I have a genuine interest in both of those teams," he said. "My only focus is getting back to the playoffs and eventually competing for a championship."

An eight-year veteran, Harrington was the Hawks' second leading scorer (18.6) and rebounder (6.9) last season and served as a captain in both of seasons with the franchise

• Moderators

Quote:

Everyone get your golden state trades together now since we beat the indiana pacer scenarios to death
smile.gif

Golden State has a lot more to offer. There should be some interesting scenarios with them.

Quote:

Everyone get your golden state trades together now since we beat the indiana pacer scenarios to death

I would say BK would like Biedrins and Ellis. They just drafted OBryant so either he or Biedrins may be expendable.

The problem with GS is that all their big contracts are long term. They don't have any expirers to fill out the deal so the Hawks will have to either take 3 players or a bad contract.

Unless we want a prospect at a forward spot (Diogu, Pietrus) Golden State doesn't have much to offer either. They are stacked with huge contracts that I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

Davis

Dunleavy

Richardson (The only contract I'd even consider)

Foyle

Murphy

Fisher

Those contracts are ridiculous. How do they not make the playoffs with how much they spend?

Are we about to save Golden State from Derek Fisher's contract? Please no.... Does Billy Knight covet Monta Ellis?

I know nothing about him other than he is a 2nd rounder and a shoot first undersized SG. Jason Richardson is somewhat intriguing but I think they value him as their best player.

--------------------------------------------------------

Harrington for Fisher / Biedrins / Unprotected 07' 1st

Harrington/Salim for Fisher/Ellis/Biedrins/07' 1st

Harrington/Salim for Jason Richardson

....the list could go on since they have so many players. Just not anyone filling our need of a quality PG (with a decent contract).

• Premium Member

Just another example of how the Atlanta sport media is so uninterested in the sports team in Atlanta and how useless they are to the serious sports fan. If you guys ever get an oportunity to experience another city's degree of sport fan/writers safistication, you would know that Atlanta is the bottom of the barrow when it comes to sports interest and knowledge.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I think they feel about their young talent the same way we do and will not easily part with them.

I've thought for a while that Fisher might be a pg for us, but ???? The name I've read over and over is Troy Murphy. Go figure.

GS will definately attempt to unload one of those big contracts. They would want us to take either Dunleavy's or Murphy's contract off of their hands. Both have 4 years left both ranging from 32-34 mill. ( someone correct me if I am wrong w/ the #'s )

Quote:

Just another example of how the Atlanta sport media is so uninterested in the sports team in Atlanta and how useless they are to the serious sports fan. If you guys ever get an oportunity to experience another city's degree of sport fan/writers safistication, you would know that Atlanta is the bottom of the barrow when it comes to sports interest and knowledge.

Agree Peoria - although when living back in Denver, I did notice that their afternoon guys didn't really know much about baskeball either. I'm always at a disadvantage getting quality sports news since my 2 favorite sports are basketball and motor racing. Heck, up until a few years ago most sports talkers only expressed disdain for racing.

I remember writing a letter to the editor of the Denver Post Sports section - mentioning that they had basically NO racing coverage in their paper - yet the TV listings were full of events. Finally they started paying a little attnetion.

As far as basketball back then - the Nuggets stunk - so most of the coverage was mocking them.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

you would know that Atlanta is the bottom of the barrow when it comes to sports interest and knowledge.

Bottom of the barrel maybe, don't know about the barrow.

Thanks! I meant bottom of the barrel

Exactly. No Murphy, Dunleavy, Foyle or Davis. Fisher would be hard to stomach but he plays a position of need and is the cheapest out of that group. I would have to be compensated however for taking such a contract. Fisher holds no value in a trade with that contract attached to him. I'd expect 2 prospects with him or a prospect and a 07' 1st.

Andris Biedrins

Ike Diogu

M. Pietrus

P. O'Bryant

Monta Ellis

-----------------------------------

Al Harrington

Salim Stoudamire (Back out west)

07' 2nd

for

Derek Fisher

Monta Ellis

Andris Biedrins

07' 1st

??????????????

That leaves GS with:

Davis / Salim

Jrich / Pietrus

Harrington / Dunleavy

Murphy / Diogu / Zarko

Foyle / O'Bryant

They have way too many players that need PT. We'd have...

Fisher / Lue / Ellis

Johnson / Childress

MWilliams

Smith / SWilliams

Zaza / Biedrins

Quote:

Exactly. No Murphy, Dunleavy, Foyle or Davis. Fisher would be hard to stomach but he plays a position of need and is the cheapest out of that group. I would have to be compensated however for taking such a contract. Fisher holds no value in a trade with that contract attached to him. I'd expect 2 prospects with him or a prospect and a 07' 1st.

Andris Biedrins

Ike Diogu

M. Pietrus

P. O'Bryant

Monta Ellis

-----------------------------------

Al Harrington

Salim Stoudamire (Back out west)

07' 2nd

for

Derek Fisher

Monta Ellis

Andris Biedrins

07' 1st

??????????????

That leaves GS with:

Davis / Salim

Jrich / Pietrus

Harrington / Dunleavy

Murphy / Diogu / Zarko

Foyle / O'Bryant

They have way too many players that need PT. We'd have...

Fisher / Lue / Ellis

Johnson / Childress

MWilliams

Smith / SWilliams

Zaza / Biedrins

Fisher does nothing that Salim doesn't do... It makes it pointless to add him. Fisher isn't even a good player anyway.

We'd have to add one of GS's big contracts to facilitate a trade. I would be sick if we traded for Baron, Dunleavy, Foyle or Murphy. That leaves JRich and Fisher. JRich is their best player so I don't see that happening. Fisher? I don't like his contract either. ??????