• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

NBAPA waiting, considering a lawsuit...

mrhonline

• Premium Member

I apologize if this has been posted, but:

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctime...rs/15011681.htm

Quote:

LAS VEGAS -- Atlanta Hawks free-agent forward Al Harrington said he's spent the past 10 days with Warriors point guard Baron Davis kicking it in Los Angeles, contemplating what could be. Even Warriors guard Jason Richardson, playing in Davis' charity game in Los Angeles, helped in the courting.

Harrington likes what he hears.

"I'd be excited about it," Harrington said of coming to the Warriors. "It's one of my top three teams, and I would like to play there if I got the opportunity. It would be sweet."

There might be a holdup. A dispute has Hawks owners in court. A Maryland Circuit Court judge ruled the Hawks can't initiate deals involving multiyear contracts for any player other than draft picks. Harrington is free to sign with another team, but only Charlotte has the salary cap space to sign him. His best bet is a sign-and-trade, which means he needs the cooperation of the Hawks and the courts.

Billy Hunter, director of the NBA players union, said Harrington may not be affected by the ruling. The judge said the Hawks can't initiate deals, so Hunter said a sign-and-trade deal involving a multiyear contract could work if the negotiations were going on before the ruling.

Hunter said he is waiting to see how the league responds. He said the players union is prepared to file a suit to get the judge's ruling overturned.

Sounds like a deal was basically already agreed to, but if not, this could get ugly.

No, Belkin can make 10s of millions of dollars if he wins regardless of whether the NBA or NHL would ever approve him as an owner..If he wins, even if he is immediately forced to sell he stands to maybe make a 100 million or more in profit..He has too much to lose to give up now..

• Premium Member

I don't think that there has been an owner other than Sterling who has recieved the hate from the Players Union.

Even though Stern continually dominates the players union in negotiations, the Players Union is strong. The Players union could cause a boycott of any Belkin owned entity and force him out of basketball just as easily as the Owners can force him out.

Just imagine how ugly it will get if Players won't sign with the Hawks?

Lascar thinks if it gets to that that D. Stern has NO POWER??

If it gets to that, Stern has a right to protect his league and he will strip Belkin of Ownership. I'm sure that there is a clause that any owner can be voted out.

• Moderators

Quote:

If it gets to that, Stern has a right to protect his league and he will strip Belkin of Ownership. I'm sure that there is a clause that any owner can be voted out.

I am pretty sure Lascar believes that Stern has the power to approve or disapprove of Belkin as an owner when the time comes but believes that time hasn't come yet.

• Moderators

Quote:

I agree, but I also think that the more people (players & especially owners) that are pissed off with Steve Belkin, the better chance we have of him never becoming sole owner of this franchise.

That is my hope, too.

Quote:

I am pretty sure Lascar believes that Stern has the power to approve or disapprove of Belkin as an owner when the time comes but believes that time hasn't come yet.

Of course I do and have said so clearly. Just a few quotes of mine within the past day:

Quote:

The judge said that in the event that Belkin does win, he will send it to Stern and the NBA for approval prior to rendering the verdict. Perhaps Stern knows that
this is when he can take control of the situation and not sooner.

Quote:

We do know that if he waits patiently,
the judge will hand it to him and put the ball in his court
, which is what he's probably waiting on.
At that point he can legally recommend that the owners don't approve Belkin.

Quote:

Stern is a lawyer, and the judge has already made it clear that he will go to Stern before this is over with.
Stern knows to wait for his turn to make a maximum impact.

And after all those posts which he obviously read because he responded to them, he still says stuff like:

Quote:

However, I learned long ago that it's not worth arguing when Diesel makes things up about what you said. It's usually the only way he wins arguments, when he makes up something you said, then pretends he didn't understand clearly, and then occasionally follows it up with name-calling. Not worth responding to in general. He hopes that people who weren't following closely will buy it, but the crowd around here is pretty astute.