• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

AJC's take on the different trades for AL

BornandDieHawks

Harrington anxiously awaits deal

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/13/06

The choices are simple for Al Harrington. He can return to his NBA roots with the Indiana Pacers or explore the promise of the Golden State Warriors.

"I've waited this long," the Hawks' unrestricted free agent said laughing Wednesday. "I guess a little while longer can't hurt."

Harrington, an eight-year veteran, has waited nearly two weeks to find out where his NBA future lies. A sign-and-trade deal is most likely, but it typically takes longer to negotiate. The ongoing legal feud between the Hawks' owners forced Harrington into a holding pattern, until a ruling Tuesday cleared the way for the team to move him.

"I was always confident that things would work out the way they should," Harrington said. "Now it's just a matter of finding the right fit."

The Pacers and Warriors have remained the most steadfast suitors in a group that included as many as eight teams. The 6-foot-9, 245-pound Harrington averaged a career-high in points (18.6) for the Hawks last season.

"I have a genuine interest in both of those teams," Harrington said last week. "My only focus is getting back to the playoffs and eventually competing for a championship. I thought we were getting better and heading in that direction [in Atlanta], but sometimes it's time to move on."

All that's left is the agreement, on all sides, on a lucrative sign-and-trade.

"I can't say something is imminent," Hawks general manager Billy Knight said Wednesday, the first day of the free-agent signing period. "There's nothing on the table that needs to be decided on immediately. We're talking to people. That's where we are."

Andy Miller, Harrington's agent, confirmed both sides are working tirelessly to get a deal done.

"Billy and I are continuing to evaluate what is in everyone's best interest," Miller said Wednesday from Las Vegas, where one of the NBA's summer leagues is in full swing. "Hopefully, we'll be able to work something out shortly."

Harrington played his first six seasons in the league with the Pacers, and his mother and father still reside in Indianapolis. He'd also be reunited on- and off-court with one of his best friends, Pacers All-Star power forward/center Jermaine O'Neal. The familiarity with the team, franchise and city holds special appeal for Harrington, who was on the Pacers' roster when they fell to the Los Angeles Lakers in the 2000 NBA Finals.

But the lure of what could be is equally tempting when he's factored into the mix with Warriors stars Jason Richardson and Baron Davis, two of the league's most dynamic scorers and overall talents.

There also would be a chance to do what he couldn't in two seasons as a Hawks co-captain: lead a playoff-starved franchise back to the postseason — the Warriors have the league's longest playoff drought at 12 years.

There are other teams that could get involved, possibly a third party to facilitate the trade and net the Hawks a coveted player on another team.

Whatever happens it won't be rushed, Knight said, not when you're giving up a piece as valuable as Harrington was the past two seasons.

"We're talking to some people who have interest in Al. I can't predict how it's going to go," Knight said. "Teams are very interested in Al because he's a good player and an even better person.

"With the way the draft went and the makeup of our team, mainly Josh [smith] and Marvin Williams, it just didn't make as much sense [for us to do something] with Al. It certainly doesn't have anything to do with what we think of Al as a person or a player. We love Al. And we appreciate what he brought to our team and our organization."

WHAT MAKES SENSE?

Three deals that make sense as the Hawks try to move unrestricted free agent Al Harrington:

• Sign-and-trade Harrington to Indiana for Jeff Foster, Anthony Johnson and a future draft pick. Foster's reasonable salary ($5.2 million and $5.7 million over the next two seasons with a player option for a third) has made him one of the talked about trade pieces of the summer. His rebounding prowess, 6-foot-11, 250-pound frame and lunch-pail attitude are things that will most benefit the young Hawks. Johnson has two years (at under $2.9 million per season) left on his contract and rounds out a much-improved backcourt rotation. And draft picks are always a plus.

• Sign-and-trade Harrington to Golden State for Troy Murphy and Mickael Pietrus. Murphy's expensive ($10 million per season over the next five years) but he rebounds (averaging 10.4 the past two seasons) and drains jumpers from 17 feet. Pietrus is the deal sweetener. Much like his friend and French countryman Boris Diaw, the athletic swingman is poised for a breakout season in the right situation and should be eager to prove himself in a contract year.

• A three-team deal that sends Harrington to Golden State, Murphy to Milwaukee and Jamaal Magloire to the Hawks. Magloire's expiring contract ($8.3 million this season) works perfectly for a Hawks team that seeks to maintain its salary-cap flexibility. And he's the veteran bruiser they lacked last season. Magloire has helped anchor the middle for playoff teams in New Orleans and Milwaukee.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/h...harrington.html

it may make the most sense not to trade Al. i just don't think taking on Troy Murphy's salary is a smart move.

hopefully Billy will find the right deal. if he doesn't i hope he doesn't feel obligated to accomodate Al.

if we can't find a deal that benefits us long term i say Al is on his own.

• Premium Member

What I take from this: looks as if Sekou has reason to believe that Al is going to land a contract in the 8-9 mil range... about 1-2 mil short of what I had understood Al was expecting.

i think the magloire trade would really help the Hawks. it gives us a trial of life with a real center. if it works, we thrive. if it fails, sign and trade next year! plus, jamal would love livin' in the A-T-L, i'm sure.....

flava

now, i have to begin by saying that i would not be excited for the hawks to get murphy's contract. HOWEVER, i'm going to have to shoot something/someone if they were to let al walk for nothing (like a number of folks have been mentioning). for starters, there is no team out there with $$ to sign him straight up, and if he gets screwed by holding out this long so we could scratch each other's backs, then it would send out GIANT red flags out to every future free agent in the league, and the hawks already have enough things going against them with free agents. secondly, we are so far from even being a top four seed it's rediculous. any chance you have to upgrade any position, you take it--none of this "we just drafted 2 big men (1 big, & 1 who plays a little bigger than he is) and a career back up pg as our starter, i think we'll be just fine!" first it was "we just drafted mw, it's al's last year--let's trade him for something we need." then it was, "we can trade him at the trade deadline with a playoff hopeful-they'll give us more than he's worth for a run in the post season." finally it was, "if we wait til the off season, we can do a sign and trade and really get something good for him." now folks are saying let him walk for nothing. please.

• Premium Member

How does that make sense?

Milwaukee just got Charlie V. at Pf.

They have Bobby Simmons at Sf.

They have Bogut at C.

I don't think they want to sink all the money into Murphy with Redd being a max player and all these guys on the resign within the next 4 years..

I understand that Milwaukee may want to move Magloire for something but I doubt that it's for a longterm contract like Murph's.

Quote:

Sign-and-trade Harrington to Golden State for Troy Murphy and Mickael Pietrus. Murphy's expensive ($10 million per season over the next five years) but he rebounds (averaging 10.4 the past two seasons) and drains jumpers from 17 feet. Pietrus is the deal sweetener. Much like his friend and French countryman Boris Diaw, the athletic swingman is poised for a breakout season in the right situation and should be eager to prove himself in a contract year.

Doesn't Murphy have five years left on his contract? If so then how can we possible trade for him since the court ruling specifically stated that we can't sign or trade for anyone with a contract longer than four years? If that's correct then Sekou dropped the ball on that proposed trade idea.

The report says that Golden State and Atlanta have been in constant contact, trying to get a deal hammered out. Golden State has two pieces of value that would tempt the Hawks...Andris Biedrins and Mikael Pietrus. Of their long term contracts that could make up the salary difference, Troy Murphy is the only one that has much trading value at all. However, taking on his contract doesn't make much sense for this team and what Billy is trying to build. So, it sounds like they are working feverishly to get a third team involved in the trade.

Enter Denver, who could have some interest in Troy Murphy. Denver needs another scorer to take some pressure off Carmelo Anthony, and Murphy brings some scoring ability and rebounding to the table. Denver may have more interest in Mikael Pietrus though, because they need a shooting guard with range on his jump shot. Pietrus brings that range, plus he plays defense like a bat out of hell. That will really appeal to George Karl. However, I'm not convinced that Denver will really be that interested in Troy Murphy.

The difficult part of this deal may be finding a team willing to take on either Troy Murphy or Mike Dunleavy Jr.

Quote:

Doesn't Murphy have five years left on his contract? If so then how can we possible trade for him since the court ruling specifically stated that we can't sign or trade for anyone with a contract longer than four years? If that's correct then Sekou dropped the ball on that proposed trade idea.

Yup, very true. Seems like Sekou is just getting lazy or has way too many things on his mind right now.

Quote:

The difficult part of this deal may be finding a team willing to take on either Troy Murphy or Mike Dunleavy Jr.

Dunleavy is a BYC, no way in hell he gets traded until possibly 6 months from now when he is no longer BYC.

Is it just me or would adding Pietrus just be pointless? He would be playing behind JJ, Chill, Smoove, and Marvin since he is a 2/3. Great player, but no point to add even more redundancy. Plus he becomes an RFA next year, that could get very expensive really quick.

I take the Indy trade all day long..A good veteran backup point, a quality rebounding bigman, and a draft choice..Thats the deal that doesn't kill you longterm and gets you in playoff contention this year..Give me Foster, Johnson and a draft pick and I am very happy..

Can we just trade AL Harrington back 2 Indiana for Foster AJ 1st round pick... I dont see GS Giving Up Andries.. We dont want Troy.. He jus another PF which we dont need.. We gonna end up puttin him C position.. I like Indiana Deal.. and we get Cheap players in return..

I understand what you are saying but if we get someone who has a bad contract it can handcuff us for years and a better FA market will be out there next year.

Now AL will not walk because there are not anyone who can offer him more than the MLE who has showed interest in him.

I just don't want to be the one who get stuck with a contract another trade negotiated.

fanatic, I hear you on Pietrus but he is better than Childress because he defends better and he can actually create his own shot. I think that Chill might be traded with AL to help both clubs. Mullin needs a mini-makeover...not just AL. He promised the fans that big changes were coming. I think we may get a good size trade at the end of the day. Chill can't play 2 and we have too many 3's and 4's with him in the mix.

Pietrus can play some 2...I wouldn't be shocked if we get Murphy, and one of Biedrins/O'Bryant/Pietrus...plus a #1...for Al and Childress. GS fits Chill like a glove as he gets back with his old coach and area.

GS sucks...but they have some nice pieces that may fit nicely with us.

It would look something like this:

AL, Chill, Salim

for

Murphy

Ellis/

Biedrins/O'Bryant

#1 or Pietrus

This is the type of deal that COULD happen. You never know.