Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm drawing a blank on who the 5th starter on that team was:

PG Corey Beck

SG ??

SF Scotty Thurman

PF Corliss Williamson

C Dwight Stewart

They had McDaniel, Dillard, and Darnell Robinson (who was a monumental bust as a prospect) coming off the bench. I can't think of the guy who started at shooting guard for them though.

Quote:

It's good to see Marvin having a great summer legue but it means nothing.

That isn't entirely true. Watching the first SL game I saw Marvin make two moves that he didn't attempt all season. That shows that he is trying to expand his game.

I believe Clint McDaniel started his senior year.

But the bench was strong with 6'10" Lee Wilson, 6'11" Darnell Robinson (bust on pro-level), Al Dillard, Rimac, Ken Biley (senior bench warmer who Nolan started in the National Championship game against Duke.)

its just summer league. Some of you get down on Shelden and then don't praise Marvin. Others are cheering Marvin and ignoring Shelden. All of this really doesn't matter. If any of you put any stock into these performances thats just shameful. There is absolutely no cause-effect or even correlation for good/bad summer league play to good/bad NBA season play.

The boxscore for Shelden looks a lot better for tonight.

NO PLAYER MIN FG FGA 3P 3PA FT FTA OR DR TOT A PF ST TO BS PTS

54 John Edwards F 13:09 2 4 0 0 2 2 0 0 0 0 3 0 4 2 6

12 Cedric Bozeman F 25:03 3 6 0 1 3 3 0 1 1 3 3 3 0 0 9

16 Anthony Grundy C 26:00 1 5 0 1 4 4 3 1 4 5 3 3 1 0 6

24 Marvin Williams G 22:01 7 9 1 1 11 13 1 2 3 2 6 0 2 0 26

33 Shelden Williams G 23:24 4 8 0 0 3 8 2 4 6 1 5 0 1 0 11

11 and 6 is a big improvement. That's good to see. Congrats to SW.

Salim didn't play due to an injury. Neither did Sene. It will be interesting to see how SW matches up with Sene. I was kind of half hoping BK would take Sene - but that would have been a REAL reach.

Quote:

its just summer league. Some of you get down on Shelden and then don't praise Marvin. Others are cheering Marvin and ignoring Shelden. All of this really doesn't matter. If any of you put any stock into these performances thats just shameful. There is absolutely no cause-effect or even correlation for good/bad summer league play to good/bad NBA season play.

Just the aggression in Marvin is enough for me. I expected a few new moves, but the aggressiveness was beyond my shopping list. How can you not be excited about that?

Quote:

Just the aggression in Marvin is enough for me. I expected a few new moves, but the aggressiveness was beyond my shopping list. How can you not be excited about that?

Because he is doing this against summer league competition and getting calls from summer league refs. All I have to do when someone looks good in summer league is think, Dion Glover. If he shows this preseason and early in the year then I will be excited, but this is way too freakin early to even care.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Marvin has been incredible and will bust out this year.

Pete, just a good-for-the-goose-good-for-the-gander observation... in my world anyway, it is just as baseless to look at summer league and predict greatness as it is to look at summer league and predict failure.

Having said that, how bout we just be comfortable saying that Marvin will be better this year than last. tongue.gif

Marvin is well ahead of where he is was a year ago. And I differ a little in my thoughts about Summer League. No, its hardly the definitive barometer of future success. But it does serve a purpose which is getting young players and those trying to make a team a good look by NBA clubs. And it serves as a basic intro to the main event which is the season obviously. NBA executives obviously see a need for it because they keep doing it. It is better comp than what these kids get in college. The leagues are unstructured for sure...but where else can you try things like Salim at the PG without repercussions?

Summer is the NBA equivalent of college football's spring practice. Take it for what its worth. Marvin is better this year. That is a done deal...summer or not.

HIS SHORTS !!

Dillard's shorts, at times, looked to be down by his ankles. They were at least 2 - 4 inches past his knees. As long as the waistband were at his waistline, no one could say anything to him.

Commentators used to joke all the time about how long his shorts were. Jordan popularized the long shorts look, but Dillard took it to the very extreme.

I bet the ball would get caught in his shorts, if he tried to dribble between his legs.

LOL . . that's crazy how people forgot arguably the most popular and hyped up Razorback . . Todd Day.

Even I couldn't remember who that missing starter was, until you typed the name.

Wow . . talk about a bust in the NBA. With the way he and Scotty Thurman shot the ball, you would've think that they would've been in the league for 10 - 12 years.