• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Chad Ford - Hawks Summer League Review

AHF

• Moderators

Quote:

Hawks: On the bright side, last year's No. 2 pick, Marvin Williams, tried to shut all of us up for criticizing the Hawks for passing on Chris Paul to draft him last year.

Williams was awesome at the Rocky Mountain Revue, averaging 23.2 ppg, 7.5 rpg and 4.8 apg while shooting a red hot 55 percent from the field. Williams did a little of everything, but most importantly, he was aggressive putting the ball on the floor and getting to the basket. No one could defend him here. If he shows up playing like that next season, the Chris Paul criticism will hush.

I am still holding true to two seemingly inconsistent propositions. I still believe that in five years Williams will be remembered as the best player in the 2005 draft. And I still think the Hawks made a mistake by passing on Paul. Had they drafted Paul, they could keep Al Harrington this summer and have a team that could approach 35 to 40 wins next year.

As it stands now, Speedy Claxton is now Chris Paul and makes a lot more money. Williams is a better prospect than Harrington, but it looks like the Hawks are in for another long season.

Second-round pick Salim Stoudamire also played well, shooting an impressive 55 percent from the field and 50 percent from 3.

This year's picks didn't fare so well. The general consensus was that Shelden Williams was the most disappointing lottery pick in the summer league. For a guy that was drafted this high because he was supposed to be NBA ready, Williams averaged just 8.0 ppg and shot a miserable 33 percent from the field.

"I was high on Shelden before the draft," one NBA executive at the Rocky Mountain Revue told Insider.

"But after watching him here I have to say that I think I was wrong. I never want to read too much into the summer league, but every one of Shelden's weaknesses looked glaring here. I'm not sure he'll overcome them. That's not fair, but he's not going to grow or get more athletic and that was what was holding him back. I don't think he has the craftiness in his game to overcome those shortcomings."

With the two guys drafted right behind Williams -- Brandon Roy and Randy Foye -- looking awesome, this could be the last nail in the coffin for Billy Knight.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/col...chad&id=2528122

Leave it to Chad to be as negative as possible. That guy is basically worthless with his fantasy trades (does anyone remember the 10 team 20 player blockbuster he thought up a year ago?) and his Hawk hating. Rarely does the guy scoop anything. He's just a guy that sits around thinking up worthless trades and picking on us. Fords trade scenarios rarely if ever happen...less than 3-4% for sure. Stein has become way more informative and way more objective.

The Shelden Williams part makes me disappointed. I hope Shelden reads all of this and proves everyone wrong. I, personally, think the Shelden pick was a Mike Woodson pick, not a Billy Knight pick. I think BK was trying to get the coach what he wanted this year. Speedy Claxton and Shelden Williams were both players I guarantee were brought up by Woody.

Guest Walter

Quote:

35-40 wins if we had paul/al instead of speedy/marvin?

well, we are gonna get 35-40 wins this year without al or paul

Ya think so. drafting MW, ZaZa, a year of development for Chill and JS, a year within the system, and only being able to go up got us 13 more wins last year. Losing Al but gaining a year of experience in MW, JS, and Childress, drafting SW, and signing Speedy will get us 9-14 more? Not sure but expecially long term we have serious personel headaches we wouldn't have had with Paul.

That NBA team front office member indictment of SW hurts.

W

Guest Walter

Quote:

If we'd drafted Roy or Foye BK would be criticized for not having a true point guard and for drafting yet another swingman or combo guard.

Roy has Pg vision and skills. While he isn't a true Pg he can distribute like one much like JJ. His all around good-great game even without that ability make him a better player and prospect than SW, with it he's a better fit for our team as well.

BTW, You dont' draft BU Pf/Cs, particularly short ones without much reach, with the 5th pick in the draft. Should NEVER happen. EVER!

W

Which shows how foolish this entire argument over Billy is. Billy has done a great job of putting this team into a position where they have the talent to eventually be a championship contender. The only thing lacking at this point is enough experience. Chad Ford is as anti-Billy Knight as any of the idiots who are against him on this board are. I imagine Billy turned down an interview request or didn't shake his hand, but Chad's vendetta against Billy at this point is very childish.

Just the experience gained will account for 8-10 more wins, IMO. Without the bad start last season, the Hawks probably would have had about 30-31 wins on the season. Getting 8-10 more wins will put the Hawks right at the 40 win area based on that. Getting to 35-40 wins this season is probably what I would expect at this point.