• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks get slammed by foxsports.com...

flava

10 Things We Learned: Hawk hijinks

Mike Kahn / Special to FOXSports.com

Posted: 5 hours ago

The question hangs heavily in the air with all the discomfort of a 98-degree, 98 percent humidity August afternoon in Hot-Lanta.

Really, what is going on with the Atlanta Hawks (both present and future) and the one deal that appears to be inevitable in the NBA but refuses to get done — the sign-and-trade of free agent Al Harrington to the Indiana Pacers?

1. Item: The Hawks have been going nowhere this century, and despite all the young talent and a brand new beautiful building, the ownership continues to be both undermined by frayed loyalties and under-funded in general.

What this really means: It's not the reason the Hawks haven't dealt Harrington and center John Edwards to the Pacers for cash, a future draft pick and the $7.5 million trade exception. But it is symptomatic of a franchise that has been inert for far too many years. Even when the All-Star game was there, showcasing beautiful Philips Arena, there was no local energy, and now the problems have grown to a boiling point again. There still has been no resolution to the split in the "Atlanta Spirit" ownership group between Steve Belkin and everyone else. That leaves general manager Billy Knight stuck in no man's land.

That brings us back to Harrington, who at 6-foot-9, 250 pounds, is that rare blend of power, athleticism and has the capability of playing both forward positions. He was drafted by the Pacers, he fits perfectly with their desire to play faster and more diversely — next to his best friend Jermaine O'Neal and young Danny Granger. It's something that has to happen for them to move forward. As for the Hawks, well, other than the very, very young talent that they're developing for coach Mike Woodson, they're a franchise stuck in suspended animation. Despite a huge market, they never support the NBA and would be far better off playing somewhere else — is anybody in Seattle listening?

our franchise is listless and our GM, while competent and productive, comes across as inept and arrogrant (a bad combination).

all we had to do was complete this deal with Indy and get Maglorie and we would have scored big this offseason with a starting C, an adequate PG, a young defensive PF/C, a draft pick (in trade) and a noteworthy performance by Marvin....

instead, we dropped the ball on Magloire and who knows who else....

flava

I don't think it's stupid. It is perception and people wrongly assume that perception is reality. And sadly, BK's stuborness and arogance feed into that perception.

In the business world everything is built on reputation and how you take care of your customers. Sadly, our reputation has been and will continue to be as is described. BK is trapped, as are we. Clinging to the idea that hope springs eternal allows us to dream of deals to come, but most of us have been fools for too long. I lower my expectations of the trade, and then whatever happens perhaps I won't be so disappointed. Go Falcons.

I also thought the article was good, and it was right on the money as describing this organization as being almost inert. It just seems like the whole works is stuck in quicksand or something- like it's almost impossible to get anything done. Look at the way the Joe Johnson saga dragged out, look at this Harrington situation.

Some people think that maybe that's partly on BK, but my thought is that problems like that almost always emanate from the top and filter their way downward, poisoning the well the entire way....and that obviously our ownership has been our own worst enemy. It's hard to imagine such incompetence from such highly competent and successful businessmen, and it's impossible to imagine a more circus-like atmosphere than the one surrounding our ownership group- it's like a freaking clown show, and it's made us a joke, and it's made it really, really difficult to try and get things done.

First of all, Foxsports has zero credibility.

2nd of all, all these sportswriters national and local are just pi**ed because BK and company are keeping them waiting so they don't have anything to write about besides bashing him for the wait.

The wait is actually in the best interest for the team seeing that we don't want to get hosed in a deal with Indy. We want that 1st round pick to not be lottery picked so we are standing our ground. It's not because our FO sucks like people make it seem.

Magloire is nice but he wouldn't have re-signed. No one else is really all that great. If we land a lottery pick it will be worth the wait because of how deep next year's FA class is. Add the fact that we will remain the richest team in the NBA and watch us land Hinrich/Ridnour and/or Chris Kaman next year.

Then the joke is on all our doubters.

• Premium Member

I do agree that the ownership struggles have absolutely stuck this team in the mud for the last two seasons and looks like it will last at least under season. No Hawks fan can honestly deny that. The rest of the article is the typical Hawk hate that the national media regurgitates on itself to try and make it fact.

Billy Knight and his glacial speed have always been a frustration. He just can't seem to pull the trigger on trades. He is good at committing to draft picks early though.

The perception of BK and our franchise by the outside world is much different than on this board. BK is just a difficult person in general and if you are another GM you only deal with him if you have to. I'm sure calling BK is not one of their favorite calls. Many here see this romanticized view of BK and the organization. If only there was some truth to that vision. The rationalizations and excuses that come from posters here can be ridiculous. We aren't exactly the Spurs or Mavs. But our GM sure thinks a lot of himself anyway. BK better produce 35 wins or more this year or he is going to be an arrogant ex-GM.

• Moderators

Quote:

That brings us back to Harrington, who at 6-foot-9, 250 pounds, is that rare blend of power, athleticism and has the capability of playing both forward positions. He was drafted by the Pacers, he fits perfectly with their desire to play faster and more diversely — next to his best friend Jermaine O'Neal and young Danny Granger. It's something that has to happen for them to move forward.

Lets see. Something that has to happen for the Pacers to move forward and the Hawks GM isn't helping. Boy does he suck...for the Pacers.

"Never supported the NBA" ????? I believe we still hold the record for most fans ever to attend a single NBA game.

What a horrible city that we don't come out to support a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in a decade, won 40 games over 2 seasons, has cash strapped-feuding owners, and no big star (yet). We really don't deserve a team. Maybe move to Vegas where the stands can be filled with unemployed gamblers making side bets on who dribbles off their foot next.

This team is on the rise. 20 year old players generally get better. JJ is a star. The Harrington deal is not that important to our team's success this year. Its VERY important to the Pacers. Sorry we aren't playing along.

If this team starts to win you will see fans come out because JJ and Smoove have star power. They just need wins to get the attention.

uhh, sorry, but getting something for a man getting ready to walk is important. Maybe get back a pick that was pissed away by the GM last year when he was in panic mode. Our GM panics a lot. Shutting down a top 15 pick for fear that the top 4 might be interested is panic. And stupid.

Would we rather have NOTHING for Al...or a 1st round pick? Gee, call me crazy but I think we should get something for a player who is 100% not playing for the team next year. And, it doesn't look like teams were lining up to get him. So, is BK helping the Pacers? Or, are the Pacers the last place we can get something for AL?

Quote:

...Would we rather have NOTHING for Al...or a 1st round pick? Gee, call me crazy but I think we should get something for a player who is 100% not playing for the team next year.

Yeah T-P...it's certainly not working out like most of us had hoped but a mid-to-late 1st round pick beats nothing. We may get a nice player who is ready to contribute in 2010.

• Moderators

That's not what I said. I said that dealing Al was not that important for our success this year. Sure it is very important for the franchise but it is much more important for the Pacers to get it done quickly than it is for us. That is why we are holding out for what we want.

Ask yourself why is everyone so anxious for the Hawks to make the deal? Why are there no articles saying 'what's going on with the Pacers? why can't they get this deal done'? Its the disrespect that goes with years of losing. We're expected to roll over and give them what they want.

• Premium Member

Last year, he played the hand out with JJ.

He did the same with JT and Jax.

It's never a quick move.

However, Indy has knowledge from the courts about our ownership's problems and I think they're trying to use it to their advantage.

They think that we're desparate and if we're desparate, they can get exactly what they want from us without having to give up anything.

If we give up Al and they stay healthy, that pick is 20 or higher.

I would rather BK re-signed Al to a 6 year deal with a Team option on the 4th year and a player option on the 5th year... and look for a trade in Dec rather than give Indy everything on a silver platter.

whether some of you recognize it or not BK has a lousy reputation. So does our organization. So, who do you expect is going to get the heat if the deal falls through?

Decent organizations get the benefit of the doubt and lousy ones take it on the chin. Just like on the court.

BK's rep took an even bigger hit with how he ran this years draft and now that SW received poor summer reviews, the worst of any 1st, BK's promise looks hideous. Sorry, that is just the way it is. Some of you can go stick your heads back in the sand now.

• Premium Member

I don't think you can truly judge a draft pick until after they have played. Just remember how much s--t people talked about Toronto last year when they picked up Charlie V. in the draft. Charlie V. finished 2nd in the ROY voting. These so called experts wallow and luxuriate in their own arrogance and the truth of the matter is that they don't know enough about basketball college or international to give meaningful predictions because if they were all that they believe they were they wouldn't be wrong so often.

So as far as Judging BK... I don't think you can do that just yet. I know T-P you hate BK... Point taken. However, I would rather see what the end will be before I said with the arrogant, ignorant media types... who can't tell the difference between Billy Knight and Billy King and Billy Cunningham.