• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

PWNED! 20-6!

CBAreject

The score did not do justice to the degree of dominance in this Falcons game. A few sputtered drives in the red zone and a bad call by a ref (blow to the head on Abraham that reversed an interception) kept this game from being more embarrasing for Carolina. What a masterful win over a powerful opponent. Falcons dictated the pace of the game, as they ran the ball at will and stopped the run very effectively.

Abraham controlled the game from the defensive side. I love this defense, but I really think this team can be even better. Kerney basically sat for the whole game. Hartwell won't be in until week 3 or so. Jimmy Williams isn't a factor yet. Can't wait to see them grow a bit more. I think they can be special if people stay healthy.

Quote:

Glad the Panthers are back as our personal b*#&$ like they should be.

^ lol. hahahaha.

couple shoutouts

- Abraham was clearly our MVP of the game. Im convinced that we are fully capable of being a top 5 defensive team in the league. Abraham, Kerney, and Coleman makes it so much easier for our LBs and DBs. Delhomme was absolutely frustrated the entire game.

- Norwood can play! played well against a very good Carolina defense. Im not too worried about losing Duckett anymore. Dunn/Norwood/Griffith/Vick combo will do just fine in the running game.

- Carter (Steve Smith's replacement) is a pretty good player! i like him. he played well today.

- Koenen: doing all the kicking for us. hopefully it works out, but i kinda want some sort of insurance.

- Vick: needs to be more accurate. a few passes where the receiver was WIDE OPEN and he overthrew them. for Crumpler its ok, the guy makes crazy catches... but for the other guys, its a problem. get that accuracy down and i have no complaints.

yeah. when abraham went down with that groin injury...the camera angle was pretty funny basically showing a hand going in the crotch area and massaging big john...

the announcers were like i wonder what kind of injury this is...heh...

but good game by the falcons. i hope abraham and kerney will be good to go next week. i had the atlanta falcons defense in my fantasy league, too bad i benched them for the dallas defense which sucked crap!

next week definitely starting falcons D against wimpy tampa bay who was shut out this week.

im impressed by the defense. lets keep it up.

the Panthers are a shell of theirselves on both offense and special teams. The Falcons looked very good on D today and the new additions seem to have been good ones, but I would wait until you guys beat the Panthers with Steve Smith before thinking you own them considering he is almost unstoppable.

it seems, generally speaking, each team in the nfc south has their own personal b*#ches, and are similarly another team's b*#ch. the falcons have always handled the panthers well (except when vick admittedly quit on the team late last season), but they have been the buc's rag doll. carolina seems to do well against the bucs, and the saints either split or lose to everyone else. this is a great season opener for the dirty birds, particularly winning over many pundits' "it" pick for the super bowl. let's hope they show up well against the bucs and get that monkey off their back!

I didn't say that we "own the Panthers", but we did own them on the field today. What we do against them in December has nothing to do with the fact that they got owned this Sunday.

I'm surprised that you don't understand the subtle differences in the use of the word "own", given its ubiquitous use in internet sports blog lingo.

• Moderators

Quote:

I apologize, I wasn't referring directly to you CBA, rather to the thread that implies ownership of the Panthers. I am just tyring to play devils advocate here and remind those that seem to have forgotten that Smith didnt play, thats all.

The Falcons have won something like 10 of the last 13 games against the Panthers. That is ownership, IMO.

• Admin

1. We know our run defense is BETTER. We may not be great. But it's going to be hard for teams to simply abuse us up the middle like they did last year.

2. Abraham is as advertised. He, coleman and Kerney could combine for 25 sacks.

3. We're still a running team. But Mike looked better passing. He still missed some and made a few bad ones. But he also had some dropped that should have been caught. He's definitely not going to be the reason we don't have a very good season.

4. Dunn hasn't lost a step and Norwood could be the best pick in the draft.

Still lots of work to be done. But Falcons fans have to be excited and the balance of power in the NFC South has have shifted some.

Yes, and all this without our starting middle linebacker.

Paper said that Abraham has a history with his groin, hope that doesn't happen again. He's an animal. Hope the same with Kearny.

Our defense has the potential to take over games and dominate. Few things more exciting than seeing a unit work together like that. Go team.

Yeah, if Abraham goes down our defense will not be anywhere as good. Hopefully, Kearny gets healthy for TB on Sunday. We could be without our two starting DEs!

But in all that was a tremendous first game for the Falcons. Very happy with the way the team played. I thought Vick actually had one of his poorer performances, but he got the win and did make that nice throw to Jinkins for the TD. Dunn was stunning and Jarious stepped right in for him.I would think Jarious will get more carries next week.

Did anyone else notice how bad the tv coverage was for that game? Several times the camera was looking in the wrong place and didn't show a catch. The announcing team was flat and dull. Just seemed like a sub-par production from Fox, which usually has good production.

Quote:

He reminds me of the guy who used to play for Vikings that painted his face and acted like a wild man. ????

That would be John Randle.

And as for the argument of Steve Smith not playing, I had the same argument with my brother and we're both Falcons fans. Even if Smith played, how much of an impact would he have had with Hall on him all game? Yes, Hall got beat last year, but no worse than most other DBs and he fared better than most. Then you add in our pass rush this year compared to last year and all of a sudden Delhomme and Smith have far less time to get a play off.

• Moderators

Quote:

And as for the argument of Steve Smith not playing, I had the same argument with my brother and we're both Falcons fans. Even if Smith played, how much of an impact would he have had with Hall on him all game? Yes, Hall got beat last year, but no worse than most other DBs and he fared better than most. Then you add in our pass rush this year compared to last year and all of a sudden Delhomme and Smith have far less time to get a play off.

Plus, Smith isn't going to make any tackles for Carolina and it is pretty damn hard to win a game when you give up > 250 yards on the ground.

The thing is, this game wasn't as close as the score. ATL had to settle for FG-attempts on 4 of their first 5 drives, I believe. They missed 2 of those. One of the FG's was kicked inside the 10. Also, a horrible roughing the QB call against Abraham (softly grazes Delhomme's helmet) reversed Hall's interception at the 50 yard-line. It ultimately gave the Panthers a FG and took great starting position away from the Falcons.

This game could've been 30-3 pretty easily with potential for worse. The Panthers have their "what-ifs", but the difference was bigger than they think.