Muscians death that affected you the most

frosgrim

Didn't want to hijack Hot's post, but we started talking about deaths of musicians, so I thought I would start a thread about the death of muscian that affected you the most OR you think was the greatest loss to music.

For me, Stevie Ray Vaughn's death got me the most. Mainly because I am a big Texas-blues fan and SRV was one of the best guitarists around when he passed. I saw him twice in concert and I am glad I did. Two of the best shows I have ever seen.

Duane Allman's death was before I really was musically aware (I think I was 3 or 4 when he died), but the Allman Bros are a tremendous band that was massively influential. Duane's death really moved the band away from what they were doing and into a more country-blues hybrid with Dicky Betts leading the way.

I absolutely loved dimebag's guitar work. He was flat out insanely talented. What a tragedy to go the way he did.

Even though I wasn't a fan at the time, I would have been really depressed upon hearing of Bradly Nowell's passing. I personally feel Nirvana couldn't hold a candle to the talent of Sublime. Too bad Cobain is idolized much moreso than Nowell.

Continuing with the same theme, I wasn't a fan at the time Randy Rhoads passed but again, what a freaking genuis of a guitar player....probably the most talented I have ever heard when it comes to just raw feeling.

• Admin

For me it would have been Randy Rhoads, hands down. The funny thing about it is that he died 2-3 years before I ever got a guitar or heard any of his music. I was 12 years old and had just gotten my first guitar. I was really just starting to get into music in general and heavy metal was what I liked. One of my friends, who also had a guitar and we would try to learn stuff together had an older cousin who was a very good player (and actually looked a lot like randy). His cousin came over for the weekend to teach us some stuff and hang out. He started playing this song and I was just floored. For one, he could play that good, but also by the song itself. I'd just never heard anything like it. He was playing Crazy Train, I Don't Know and a few other Randy classics. I had my mom take me to Turtles the next day and I bought the Blizzard of Oz cassette, much to her dislike. To this day I still have my Ozzy/Randy tablature books that I bought all those years ago, to learn his stuff.

Listening to what he had put down was an experience and knowing that there would never be more of it, was and is a huge disappointment to me. I still listen to his music frequently, just to hear the details of what he did. He was much like Hendrix in that his technical ability was nothing more than a vehicle for his creativity and as it evolved, the boundries of what he was capable of were pushed farther out. He's the guy that I will always put at #1 on a greatest guitarists of all time list, even above Hendrix.

It's funny how many current guitarists for bands like Korn and all those type bands, heck, even some more straight rock oriented guitarists, list Randy as their primary influence. In truth it's just a testament to his talent and impact.

Quote:

For me it would have been Randy Rhoads, hands down. The funny thing about it is that he died 2-3 years before I ever got a guitar or heard any of his music. I was 12 years old and had just gotten my first guitar. I was really just starting to get into music in general and heavy metal was what I liked. One of my friends, who also had a guitar and we would try to learn stuff together had an older cousin who was a very good player (and actually looked a lot like randy). His cousin came over for the weekend to teach us some stuff and hang out. He started playing this song and I was just floored. For one, he could play that good, but also by the song itself. I'd just never heard anything like it. He was playing Crazy Train, I Don't Know and a few other Randy classics. I had my mom take me to Turtles the next day and I bought the Blizzard of Oz cassette, much to her dislike. To this day I still have my Ozzy/Randy tablature books that I bought all those years ago, to learn his stuff.

Listening to what he had put down was an experience and knowing that there would never be more of it, was and is a huge disappointment to me. I still listen to his music frequently, just to hear the details of what he did. He was much like Hendrix in that his technical ability was nothing more than a vehicle for his creativity and as it evolved, the boundries of what he was capable of were pushed farther out. He's the guy that I will always put at #1 on a greatest guitarists of all time list, even above Hendrix.

It's funny how many current guitarists for bands like Korn and all those type bands, heck, even some more straight rock oriented guitarists, list Randy as their primary influence. In truth it's just a testament to his talent and impact.

I think music and myself misses guys like Randy, Stevie and Marvin Gaye. Yes, I know Marvin was a singer, but I felt like listing him anyway.