• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Solutions... BY DIESEL...

Diesel

• Premium Member

The good bad and Ugly of the Hawks right now.

The good..

Of course is JJ. However, JJ gets triple teamed, what do you do. I like the play of Speedy at the PG. But our problem is defending the Center spot, and scorers... Our scorers suck. I heard so many clanks last night!!!

The Bad and the Ugly are both Marvin. Deron or Paul would look mighty good playing in a Hawks uni. Marvin just doesn't have it and I don't think he ever did.

So what's the fix.

I say we trade for a big.

One name and one team comes to mind.

Philly. Dalemebert.

I think Philly regrets signing Dalembert to such a big Contract.

I would offer Philly Lo and a 2nd.

It gets them out of that deal. It gives them a 1 year renewable contract. It gives them more FA cash.

Philly without Ivey will look to cash in on the FAcy market and the lottery. They are officially in the Oden sweepstakes.

Give me Dalembert. He's big, defensive, fast.

The problem

Our ownership won't and can't trade for Dalembert. So our true solution...

Wait until the draft and draft a big. Maybe Hibbert.

Diesel, in your "good" part you began discussing bad things like "defending the center spot" and our scorers and your post was a little disorganized (ours all are after this team's performance of late), so I have taken the general undercurrent of bad, excluding MW, and put it all below in quotes.

Quote:

But our problem is defending the Center spot...So what's the fix.

I say we trade for a big.

One name and one team comes to mind.

Philly. Dalemebert.

The problem

Our ownership won't and can't trade for Dalembert. So our true solution...

Wait until the draft and draft a big. Maybe Hibbert.

Now I read that and I say that neither Daly at his price especially or Hibbert (we'd be awful lucky to get him) are much of a solution. This team's problems are just too big to fix with a band-aid and the GM has waited too long, passing up too many opportunities (because he has made too many major mistakes and hasn't boldly sought to rectify them). I don't know what the solution is so I'm not dissing your solutions as much as highlighting just how big the problem is.

I will say that your sensing our need for "defending the center spot" after we just spent a top 5 pick on a role playing interior defender at Pf MAKES ME MAD! We'd all love to have good-great defenders at all positions like Detroit recently, but that isn't going to happen. So, get defense where it matters most, first!

Don't go and spend a #5 pick on a 6'8" defensive, role playing Pf when you have defensive needs across the entire frontline and two great forward prospects, one of whom you'll have to bench to even play said defensive, role playing Pf. Start at the center position! Acquire a (at least) starting quality defensive center, preferably paying out (with a 5th pick?) for a defensively game changing center prospect. It's not a perfect science but you must TRY to get this player as a right sized, skilled, talented center not only can guard his man but can help defend everyone else's...he, not the 6'8" Pf changes games defensively. SW can never do that in this league. Can't even dream about it in this league. Can't even hope to dream about it in this league. He's 6'7 1/2" without shoes with a short reach. Guards today are taller and longer than he is. In lue of great defenders at all (interior) positions, you start at center and work your way down to Pf and you never choose a 6'8" defensive, role playing Pf with a short reach with a 5th overall pick over more talneted players.

Simply put, don't use your center acquiring capitol to hire a 6'8" Pf to do a 7'ers' job. You'll come up AT LEAST (Not counting standing reach deficiencies) 4" short time in and time out and you will have used up the means with which to acquire the still needed interior defensive presence.

And to think we didn't even try people out or allow ourselves to trade on draft day. BK is a farce. Maybe firing BK is the solution...at least part of it.

W

Quote:

The Bad and the Ugly are both Marvin.

Lets see who plays well the 2nd half before we start writing people off. The painfull truth is we do not have any players other than JJ that are proving they are worthy of being starters.

If it continues like this; maybe we can package Chillz, MWill, Shellhead, and Smoove in a four player, three team deal that gets us a lottery pick this year and next. Then we can just start rebuilding again frown.gif

Quote:

If it continues like this; maybe we can package Chillz, MWill, Shellhead, and Smoove in a four player, three team deal that gets us a lottery pick this year and next. Then we can just start rebuilding again
frown.gif

...please advocate us firing BK (if you haven't already Buzzard). I cannot go through this again with such an incompetent GM calling the same shots he's already proven he can't call worth a d@mn. Note: I would just assume trade JJ if we're going to clean house. Mind you, I'm not there yet, but I believe BK's tenure has all but removed any hope of contention. When that last sliver is removed, I'm there.

W

• Premium Member

Quote:

Now I read that and I say that neither Daly at his price especially or Hibbert (we'd be awful lucky to get him) are much of a solution. This team's problems are just too big to fix with a band-aid and the GM has waited too long, passing up too many opportunities (because he has made too many major mistakes and hasn't boldly sought to rectify them). I don't know what the solution is so I'm not dissing your solutions as much as highlighting just how big the problem is.

Sure, we picked Bender part 2 when we got Marvin.

But all is not lost. Our team can still be good. Here's what we have:

1. Top tier player in JJ.

2. Good supporting players in SC, JS, ZP, JC, and SW.

Now.. you might not want to believe it but Speedy is a good PG. Better than any we could have drafted this past year.

You might not want to except it but JSmoove is becoming a good player. JChillz is steady. SWilliams can do what we need him to do.

More about Shelden. His shot is not bad. He has very good form and if he works at it, he will have a very nice short jumper from the high post. His defense is good. His rebounding is good. He just doesn't stay on the floor enough.

Speedy is the best PG we have had since Mookie.

JChillz is a very good utility person.

Our problem is scoring and defense at the Center position.

I think we can find a trade, but if not, we should look at the draft. Hibbert is not a stretch.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Don't go and spend a #5 pick on a 6'8" defensive, role playing Pf when you have defensive needs across the entire frontline and two great forward prospects, one of whom you'll have to bench to even play said defensive, role playing Pf. Start at the center position!

The problem is that you don't recognize two things:

1. Shelden was the best defensive big out of the last draft.

Those names that you constantly bring up: O'Bryant, Sene... neither of those guys are doing anything and are unproven projects. That means that they might not turn out.

Shelden was the most proven, the best defender in the draft. Definitely the best defensive big.

You real problem is that you fail to recognize that we have various needs... which brings us to point #2...

2. Shelden is the most needed player at our most needed position.

The Center spot was not as bad as the PF spot going into the offseason. We knew that Al was leaving. We knew that both Marvin and Smoove were Sfs on the defensive end. PF was a bigger need than C

There are 2 things about Zaza that you fail to see.

1. Zaza is young.

2. Zaza is suitable.

He's not the best defender in the world, but he's suitable. Last night, he played decent defense on Big Z. Not great, but it was OK.

IN short, we could afford to gamble with Zaza if we got a good defensive PF.

I would like to see what we look like with everybody healthy. For instance, I think having Smoove and Lue on the floor makes a difference... but you keep making these huge mountains out of small hills.

1st... Everybody hasn't been on the court at the same time.

2nd... We are young.

3rd... We have suitable players at every position.

What do you expect us to be right now when JJ is our best scorer and our other two are on the bench in street clothes. They triple teamed JJ all night last night. If nobody else but Zaza can hit a shot, what do you expect?

Somehow Hibbert is projected to go in the 10-20 range of next year's draft. I've been saying we need to try and draft this monster for weeks now. He is 7"2 280lbs. and is getting better every game for Georgetown this year. This guy would be the BIG we so desperately need to clog the paint and stop the layup drill that happens every night. Last night we gave up so many offensive rebounds that it just killed us. Big Roy Hibbert should be available with our Indy pick and if we HAVE to we need to trade up to a few spots to make sure we grab him. No more screwing around BK!! We need a big defensive Center NOW. Draft Hibbert!!!!!

Hibbert's gonna rise (...in the rankings, fall in the draft predictions...) come draft time. If Gtown has a halfway decent season, he'll be hyped as a late blooming wonderboy. No way a 7'2" kid with experience and solid production slips out of the lottery.

And Diesel...Marv = Bender? That's some good comedy there, thanks for giving me a laugh on an annoying mid holiday workday.

• Moderators

Quote:

This is exactly right. JJ, Speedy, Smoove, ZaZa, Chill, Shelden are all good young players and I'd add Lue to the list. Solomon and Este could use some playing time so we can see what they bring.

I was fine with the Marvin pick but I just don't see how he was a consensus #2 pick which he was. I don't totally blame BK and all these hindsighters forget that almost everyone projected him to go 1 or 2. But he has yet to do anything in an nba game that makes me think he's going to be a great player or even a legitimate starter.

I'm not hating on him. I pull for him every night, but his shot is not consistent, his handles are poor and he doesn't seem to know what to do when he gets the ball. I don't pretend to be an evaluator of raw talent so I'm waiting to see of for someone to tell me what it is about Marvin that is going to make him an offensive force.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Somehow Hibbert is projected to go in the 10-20 range of next year's draft. I've been saying we need to try and draft this monster for weeks now. He is 7"2 280lbs. and is getting better every game for Georgetown this year. This guy would be the BIG we so desperately need to clog the paint and stop the layup drill that happens every night. Last night we gave up so many offensive rebounds that it just killed us. Big Roy Hibbert should be available with our Indy pick and if we HAVE to we need to trade up to a few spots to make sure we grab him. No more screwing around BK!! We need a big defensive Center NOW. Draft Hibbert!!!!!

I wouldn't worry about draft position just yet. Our team is so bad right now that it can actually be "good" as far as our draft situation is concerned. We could end up with two picks in this year's draft if we keep doing what we're doing. That would make things much easier when decision time comes around. We could grab Oden/Noah with pick #'s 1-3 and Steele/D. James(Marquette) for our second 1st round pick. That would get us a decent C and PG for the future. Not even BK can screw that up. There's no need to overthink things this time. I hope it doesn't come to that but it's starting to look like this is could be another lost season. Even if BK picks up Durant, I wouldn't complain. At least he looks like the real deal. Just like I said earlier, not even BK can screw this up.

Quote:

Quote:

I wouldn't worry about draft position just yet. Our team is so bad right now that it can actually be "good" as far as our draft situation is concerned. We could end up with two picks in this year's draft if we keep doing what we're doing. That would make things much easier when decision time comes around. We could grab Oden/Noah with pick #'s 1-3 and Steele/D. James(Marquette) for our second 1st round pick. That would get us a decent C and PG for the future. Not even BK can screw that up. There's no need to overthink things this time. I hope it doesn't come to that but it's starting to look like this is could be another lost season. Even if BK picks up Durant, I wouldn't complain. At least he looks like the real deal. Just like I said earlier, not even BK can screw this up.

I don't want Durant though .We don't need another skinny SF who is 6"9 and 200lbs. do we? We need a big defensive Center! This guy would get killed in the pros right now. I know he is young and will develop but that is not what this franchise needs right now. Durant is NOT who the Hawks need to draft next year for sure. We already have enough SFs and PFs on this team right? Can you imagine the media if BK took another Forward in the draft. Hibbert is the guy we need to take because we all know we will not get our lottery pick with the way the Hawks luck is the draft. We will probably draw the 4th pick which Phx. will get then. Unless we can trade up with our Indy pick and a player to get in the top 10.

• Premium Member

Believe me, I have seen enough of the whole "team full of 6'8"-6'9" forwards" thing. I was just saying that it's impossible for BK to mess up this time around. Hibbert is a solid pick if we only have one. It would be nice if we could pick up another 1st rounder though.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Bender has played 7 NBA seasons and has never averaged as many ppg as Marvin did his rookie season. He has barely averaged more than half of Marvin's average this season. Not very comparable players, IMO.

• Moderators

Quote:

I'm not comparing the players. I'm comparing the situations.

Highly taughted Young picks with great expectations but low desire.

I'm not ready to bury Marvin yet. Last night was definitely frustrating to watch. I wanted to slap him to try to get him riled up enough to challenge Lebron. The whole team is frustrating right now, though, and that bleeds into everything. The Hawks need some big games and good vibes.

Quote:

1) Whatever "top tier" means, he can't carry a team. Nothing wrong with that. Few players can.

2) You don't get "supporting players", good or otherwise with a 6th and 5th pick respectively. If you do, you're doomed.

Quote:

"Now.. you might not want to believe it but Speedy is a good PG. Better than any we could have drafted this past year."

Speedy is not better than most of the Pgs we could have drafted this year if only because he is historically so injury prone and we've seen it 1st hand with two seperate injuries. Williams and Sergio will be better. Rondo should if he can harness a jumper. I'd rather have any one of them if only because they are prospects that fit in with a rebuild which looks to be taking a turn for the RE-rebuild.

Quote:

You might not want to except it but JSmoove is becoming a good player.

I've always "accepted it".

Quote:

JChillz is steady. SWilliams can do what we need him to do.

"Steady" would be great for a mid-1st pick. Not for a 6th pick. I think Childress is better than "steady" but he's not as good as Iggy or Deng.

Considering we're so bad and we have multiple forwards, we need a 5th overall pick to become a great center prospect. Can he do that? Then "he can't do what we need him to do?"

Quote:

More about Shelden. His shot is not bad. He has very good form and if he works at it, he will have a very nice short jumper from the high post. His defense is good. His rebounding is good. He just doesn't stay on the floor enough.

You don't spend a 5th pick on good rebounding and a nice high post jumper "if he works on it". THOSE ARE ROLE PLAYING QUALITIES!

Quote:

Speedy is the best PG we have had since Mookie.

I'd rather have JT next to JJ than Speedy.

Quote:

I think we can find a trade, but if not, we should look at the draft. Hibbert is not a stretch.

Both are highly unlikely to occur or be available where we select. The former isn't specific enough to assess, but the later doesn't solve our problems.

W

You know this is perposterous. The ownership will never do this given the state of limbo. This is likened to 'drunk talk.' When I was in college vets from Viet Nam would sit around telling stories. Many of which would start with: "Now this is no shyt." Any time you heard that . . . . the rest was b.s.

I would love to see us make some good deal but I don't think it's going to happen.