• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Shareef for Capspace is not the way to go.

Diesel

• Premium Member

I've been reading deals involving Shareef for Space. I don't think that's the way to go. Reef is still our best player. Makes no sense to trade him for Nothing.

So Reef for Lonzo or Reef for Coleman is not a good way to go.

However, if we want to get rid of Cap Space... There are about 3 moves that we can do that will do that and Possibly prepare us for the future? Here they are:

1. Theo to San Antonio for Smitty/1st.

Just a cap move. It will get us Smitty's ending contract. AND Smitty wants to be here. San antonio gets Duncan INsurance. ANd Theo would play very well with Duncan anyway.

Follow that with:

2. JT/Hendu to Chicago for Fizer/Crawford/Erob. Gets us out of Hendu's contract. Krause is interested in Terry according to Sam Smith today. Crawford could be an interesting pickup for US.

3. Ham/1st to Washington for Heywood.

I would give up a first for Heywood. Why, he's a C.

Heywood/Nazr

SAR/Fizer

Big Dog/Erob/CC

Smitty/Glover/Ira

Dickau/Crawford

Contract wise, we are better. Player wise, we are a little better. Crawford may play Combo gaurd for sometime. But at the end of the season: Ira, Glover... Gone and we find a 2 who can shoot to play with Smitty.

Our offense becomes more traditional. PG ran, with a Sg who can hit the outside shot.

• Admin

I don't want to lose SAR and not recieve something of equal value in return. He is a great player and to lose him for nothing will only hurt this franchise for a longer time. We have a lot of talented players here. It is just not the right mix. Right now it is about finding the right mix that is goign to allow us to win.

You aren't getting it...Your team is going NOWHERE

with Reef as your best player.ESP a team that will

be limited in what they can use as cap space.

If Reef was getting 8 million he would be worthy.However

he has never contributed anything but in games that

never mean anything.No only that,his will has been

broken...There isn't much left after that.

....he's merely just another above average player because he is too passive on the court.

One thing is very obvious. Shareef can't guard anybody on the low block. So, keeping him means that he needs to move back to the small forward position for defensive purposes. But then, you'd have to get either a center or a power forward that has range from the perimeter and won't clog up the lane because Shareef is still a post oriented offensive player.

Another thing is you can't ask Shareef to be the go-to guy. He simply isn't going to step up and take it upon himself to carry the team at times.

The problem with keeping Jason Terry is that you will constantly be searching for the perfect back court mate for him. And that player may never come around. It isn't as easy as just making a deal for Jamal Crawford. What's easier? Getting a shooting guard to play alongside Dan Dickau at point guard or getting a tall true point guard to go along with Jason Terry?

I like the Chi-Town Trade, but what I really like is the trade for Heywood. The guy is a freak; however, I don't see Theo in the line up. Is Theo becoming a free agent this year. If so, you think he won't consider resigning with the Hawks?

I know the Hawks is having trouble, and they need to get over the hump. But adding in a few veterans who possess the fire and passion to win can help turn this team around. By the way, who is the oldest player playing for the Hawks? Really, think about it...

In my opinion, the success of a team needs a mixture of young and veteran players (willis/smitty/Grant Long). The small examples (off court, advice, on the court: passion, execution, positioning, cutting to the hole, body movement...etc) veteran players portray for the rest of the team can help young players like what the Hawks are experiencing now.

Not only that but his blocks and rebounding and

steals are all down.And he;s made very little

impact in very few games this year.Any stat

lovers can have only the slighest bit chance

of defending him.

We need better for 12 million.A player making 12

million that doesn;t play with intensity is NO GOOD.

He's had 6 years to prove he's a top Forward and has

YET to prove it.Racking up stats on terrible teams

doesn't quailify as PROVING.IF you can't win you are

a loser.He's been a loser for 6 seasons and it's going

to be 7.When you have a 30 win team it's hard to say

that you will "regret"trading anyone.These guys aren't

getting the job done so ship them off.

Moving him to SF will not help....Instead of players

pushing him around and scoring on him SF's will just

blow right by him because he lacks quickness on the

defensive end.

If we are going to move him to SF too bad we don't

have LO.He would had intensity to the team and

he can hit the jumper.

what about Robinson for Smitty, straight up. They're a team that struggles to score points...

I realize that they're banking on cap room this summer, with Big Robinson retiring...but does anyone really think that JKidd will go back west? Duncan isn't a run and gun, fast break player....

I'm not sure that they'd do it, in fact I doubt it - but they're a team that already has much interior defense and someone that always commands a double team. Robinson could be open quite a bit there, esp. with the emerging Ginobili on the roster.

for us, we'd get Smitty back. Thigns can't get any worse this season, and we don't have to resign him if we don't want. Besides, if you watch SAN, there offense consists of throw the ball into the post for Duncan - I think Robinson, dumb as I think he is, could figure out how to play in that system.

They could then move Bowen to the bench to sub at the 2/3 when a defensive stop is needed.

i like the offers...reef trading is not the answer...the reason everything is low this season is more of a tribute to whatever is causing the entire team to suck(i have no idea at this point) but we can see from past years his numbers are usually good...put him at sf if we need to..then fizer goes to pf where he can be physical and rebound...

Some things like Shareef's and Jason's positions. For defensive purposes (if we really want to get better defensively), I think Shareef needs to be a three. His problem defensively isn't his quickness. It's his lack of size and strength on the low block. He would be able to guard most 3s on the perimeter, as he did with Vancouver.

Dennis Scott made the same comments that a lot have been making here last night on the Southern Sports Report. He said that someone in the Shareef, Glenn, Theo trio has to step up to become a leader that keeps this team focused and playing hard.

• Premium Member

So here are the pro's and con's for trading SAR:

Pro:

1. He has great trade value because of his age and talent level.

2. He has a large contract for a player that's not a "winner."

3. His defense is subpar on an already poor defensive team.

4. He is undersized for his position.

Con:

1. He has great value to the Hawks because of his age and talent level.

2. There are other large contracts on the team that could be traded instead.

3. He has not really had a chance to play SF with the Hawks.

I think it just depends on what the Hawks could get in return and whether they want to "rebuild" or "restructure."

• Premium Member

I wouldn't play SAR at SF. He doesn't have the game. I brought up the post about Emuss but SAR and Jaimson are totally different players. Jamison has an outside Shot. & Jamison cannot totally dominate offensively in the post. Reef Can. Reef is an offensive PF. Defensively, his tweener shows. However, that's why the zone would work for the Hawks. The Zone would cover up so many of our weaknesses.

....Shareef has a better perimeter game than Jamison.

Shareef shoots 39.4% from 3 point land. Jamison shoots 29.6% from 3 point land.

Jamison does not have an outside shot, which is why the Warriors thought he was a power forward. Mussleman noted that he can't defend in the post, put him at the 3, and put Troy Murphy, who is perimeter oriented offensively and a good match with Jamison, who is post oriented offensively.

Shareef can play small forward as well as Jamison. His problem defensively is that he gets beat up in the post, and he is an even worse zone defender because he never rotates in time.

Put him defending on the perimeter where he can use his athletic skills and quickness in man to man defense. Get a perimeter oriented power forward that can rebound or a thumper at PF and a jump shooting center.