• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Which team would you trade situations with?

CBAreject

This is a question I've asked before, but I think it's interesting. Let's look at the tanking teams and see which ones are better off.

Memphis: Has Gasol to trade, Mike Miller, Hakim Warrick, and Rudy Gay. 50/50 shot at Oden/Durant if they finish last plus potential young player/pick from Gasol trade. Has 10 million in cap space (maybe more with Gasol trade).

Boston: Has Pierce to hold or trade, Al Jefferson, Gerald Green, Tony Allen, Rajon Rondo, Sebastian Telfair, Ryan Gomes. Second best shot at finishing last.

Philly: Has Andre Miller, Iguodala, Dalembert, Korver, Carney, a top 5 pick and 2 Denver 1st rounders (which are looking pretty good). Probably 4th best shot at top 3 pick.

Seattle: Has Ray Allen, Rashard Lewis, Wilcox, Ridnour, Sene, Swift. Will likely surpass Philly for 3rd best shot at Oden/Durant. Can trade Allen for a handsome package.

Charlotte: Has Okafor, Morrison, May, Felton, Wallace, and lots of cap space (enough for max deal). Has 5th best shot at top 3 pick.

Atlanta: Has JJ, Smoove, Childress, Marvin Williams, Shelden Williams and 10 mil in cap space. Has 5th or 6th best shot at top 3 pick. Will most likely lose pick to Phoenix.

Quote:

Let's look at the tanking teams and see which ones are
better off

You will have to be more specific about what you mean by "better off". Given your recent posts i think many would assume you are talking about which team has the best chance at the worst record.

And of course i would take disagree with your labeling these teams as "tanking" instead of just being bad.

I picked Charlotte because of their young talent and A developing PG. Memphis is very close though - the balls fall their way and they could be in the catbird seat.

Boston is close too - they have PP and Jefferson - add Oden or Durant and they look great - plus they will SPEND.

i picked none

memphis is trying to lose, and our trading their franchise player. "how would you feel if atlanta was trying to get rid of joe johnson"

philly has a horrible GM that gives out back-breaking contracts.

boston is in tank mode- its just shameful and i bet the young players can't do anything about it.

seattle might not even be seattle in a couple of years, at least we know atlanta is staying.

charlotte's owner is being stingy with money, i'd like to see him actually go for a free agent.

I mean what team would you trade rosters, records, assets, caproom, etc. with.

If the Hawks had the roster of Memphis with the worst record, etc.....would you feel better or worse about them. Bear in mind that Memphis is as good as the Hawks...they just play in the West (and Gasol has been injured).

Quote:

I mean what team would you trade rosters, records, assets, caproom, etc. with.

I like several of the rosters/situations better than the Hawks situation overall. However i would say we may have the best overall player of all those teams in JJ, a true go to scorer who can also play D (unlike Allen and Lewis) You could make an argument for Gasol but frankly i have never been that impressed with him. And i think Pierce will be on the decline by the time their young guys reach their prime, and he isn't much on D either.

We also have a rare player in Josh Smith who plays both ends and can fill up the box score. The other teams don't have anyone like Smith.

The rest of our roster is lame. However it is tough to land guys like JJ and Smith. In other words we have the right guys to build a team around. IN the hands of a competent GM i think the Hawks could become a contender by drafting a young quality pg (doesn't have to be a Paul or Deron) and a better than average center. right now we have two garbage cans at center.

I agree that of all those teams, we have the best 2 player combo.

Our situation is not that bad, but losing this year's pick could really hurt us. If we had the pick, I would say our situation is best. Since we don't, it's really tenuous.

If Charlotte OR Philly gets Oden OR Durant, they'll be looking at us in their rearview.

• Premium Member

Boston and Philly are capped out. Memphis, Seattle, and Charlotte are being run on the cheap, so that's not improvement.

Charlotte, because of their solid PG and PF positions, is the only one I would consider at this moment. The Oden/Durant winners will change things, however.

Personally, I think Orlando is the team with the most upside in the NBA.

i don't know if orlando has as much upside anymore. they won't if they extend darko to a big deal (which i don't think they will do, and they are going to lose grant hill (who might go to a contender). they could easily be back in the pack especially if they lose hill.