• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

ODEN is no more than Goon.

NJHAWK

After watching him get frustated by the Xmen yesterday and his blatent dirty foul that should have cost his team the game, well I dont have high hopes for him being anybodys franchise player. He has no offensive skills at all and just gets by in college on his height. He is no Shaq or Ewing or Robinson or Howard. He is a more physical version of Eric Montross. As bad as we need a rebounder and interior defender I would explorer all trade options if we gte lucky and land pick #1.

Guest Walter

Quote:

After watching him get frustated by the Xmen yesterday and his blatent dirty foul that should have cost his team the game, well I dont have high hopes for him being anybodys franchise player.

Don't let one time mistakes lead to full-time judgements.

As far as Oden being a franchise player...1) hands down he is, 2) who else would you want and expect to get here?

Should you trade him, at least make sure he plays in another conference because I can see being passed on lighting a serious fire under him. His will to crush us every time he saw us would be the only thing flagrant. Don't anger the behemoth.

W

You're right. Oden is actually pretty decent on defense right now....but that's it. He is not impressive at all when it comes to using his size and athleticism to score. He did show a nice little hook though towards the end of that game yesterday. Still, he's got a lot of room to grow and I would not pass him up just yet...even for Durant.

It seems Oden's teammates try to avoid passing him the ball when he establishes position in the post. The Xavier game would not have been close if Oden touched the ball in the paint on almost every possession in the 2nd half. Oden's teammates need to learn that Oden is the meal ticket to tourney success. Ohio State was lucky that guy missed the free throw at the end of the game or they are done.

Quote:

...Oden's teammates need to learn that Oden is the meal ticket to tourney success. Ohio State was lucky that guy missed the free throw at the end of the game or they are done.

I think we all need to realize that the NCAA touney is a place where careers can be made. Gotta be tough on coaches. There's no "I" in team - but there is a "me".

Other, less touted teammates, want to make an impression on the big stage and maybe get to the NBA. Everybody has dreams. It's selfish and not in the best interest of the team sometimes....but it's hard to criticize them for that really.

A player like Oden, who needs to be fed in the paint, might not get that pass. I think the body of work and talent says what needs to be said for Oden. He is still the concensus #1 pick IMO. gromit.gif

You funny NJhawk.

You should watch some one play more than one game before labeling him the next Eric Montross. Statements like that do not help you prove your point. It just makes it sound like there is another moron with an opinion. Granted your titled to your opinion. I think there are 30 NBA GM's and 100's of college coaches who have the oppositet opinion of Oden.

On a side note- that was not a flagarant foul. Oden was going for the ball in the heat of battle. Big men do make average men look rather small and weak. It was a good hard foul. Fans Are Turning Into Such Sissies. The NBA used to stand for "NO Babies Allowed." In the 80's and early 90's that is what made the game so competive -seeing the "Bad Boy Pistons", 76ers had Dawkins and Malone, the tough nosed Celtics (Bird, McHale, & Parrish were as tough as they come), the Lakers had their Kurt Rambis, Woolridge, and others to get down and dirty. The Bulls got Rodman for that very need, some one has to get down and dirty. Oden has been criticised for being a gentle giant, yesterday he showed he will get down and dirty too.

If he didn't foul you would be calling him soft. I love the hard nosed foul. That is what a defensive shot blocking goon is there for , to make you fear the paint. Ask Mutombo why he swings those elbows - you better respect his authority.

You know what is interesting? The weakest part of his game, his offense, is just as good if not better than a lot of the great center of recent memory in their freshman years. See if you can match the freshman stats of...

Oden

Olajuwon

Robinson

O'Neal

Ewing

Duncan

1. 12.7ppg, 7.5rbg, 3.21bpg, 63%fg, 61%ft

2. 9.8ppg, 9.6rbg, 3.75bpg, 54%fg, 75%ft

3. 15.5ppg, 9.7rbg, 3.5bpg, 61%fg, 63%ft

4. 8.3ppg, 6.3rbg, 2.48bpg, 61%fg, 56%ft

5. 13.9ppg, 12.0rbg, 3.59bpg, 57%fg, 55%ft

6. 7.6ppg, 4.0rpg, 1.32bpg, 62%fg, 66%ft

1. Patrick Ewing

2. Tim Duncan

3. Greg Oden (surprise surprise)

4. Hakeem Olajuwon

5. Big Shaq

6. David Robinson

The point is that big men take longer to develop. Look how long it took Eddy Curry to start playing anywhere near his potential. Also, they need players who are determined to get them the ball and know how to do it. Oden will probably not end up being as potent or fluid as Olajuwon in the post, but he won't be Eric Montrose either. He will be a dominant center, eventually being one of the top three big men in the league for years to come (Yao and Dwight Howard being the other two).

Quote:

You funny NJhawk.

You should watch some one play more than one game before labeling him the next Eric Montross. Statements like that do not help you prove your point. It just makes it sound like there is another moron with an opinion. Granted your titled to your opinion. I think there are 30 NBA GM's and 100's of college coaches who have the oppositet opinion of Oden.

On a side note- that was not a flagarant foul. Oden was going for the ball in the heat of battle. Big men do make average men look rather small and weak. It was a good hard foul. Fans Are Turning Into Such Sissies. The NBA used to stand for "NO Babies Allowed." In the 80's and early 90's that is what made the game so competive -seeing the "Bad Boy Pistons", 76ers had Dawkins and Malone, the tough nosed Celtics (Bird, McHale, & Parrish were as tough as they come), the Lakers had their Kurt Rambis, Woolridge, and others to get down and dirty. The Bulls got Rodman for that very need, some one has to get down and dirty. Oden has been criticised for being a gentle giant, yesterday he showed he will get down and dirty too.

If he didn't foul you would be calling him soft. I love the hard nosed foul. That is what a defensive shot blocking goon is there for , to make you fear the paint. Ask Mutombo why he swings those elbows - you better respect his authority.

Well said...and true. soapbox.gif

Guest Walter

Quote:

See if you can match the freshman stats of...

Oden

Olajuwon

Robinson

O'Neal

Ewing

Duncan

1. 12.7ppg, 7.5rbg, 3.21bpg, 63%fg, 61%ft

2. 9.8ppg, 9.6rbg, 3.75bpg, 54%fg, 75%ft

3. 15.5ppg, 9.7rbg, 3.5bpg, 61%fg, 63%ft

4. 8.3ppg, 6.3rbg, 2.48bpg, 61%fg, 56%ft

5. 13.9ppg, 12.0rbg, 3.59bpg, 57%fg, 55%ft

6. 7.6ppg, 4.0rpg, 1.32bpg, 62%fg, 66%ft

1. Patrick Ewing

2. Tim Duncan

3. Greg Oden (surprise surprise)

4. Hakeem Olajuwon

5. Big Shaq

6. David Robinson

...that while college may be a little watered down, those generally better stats still speak highly of Oden being amongst this group of superstars. Thanks for the stats.

W