• Raised $390 of $700 target

Whats the deal with Spencer Hawes?

TheDude

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One is that he played on the west coast and we didn't see him. Another is that he got sick mid season. Started out strong, didn't do so well and then came on at the end of the year. Seems like he's gonna be a legit center, likes to play with his back to the basket and his fundamentals are very sound. Likely becasue his dad played pro ball. But he's gonna be a project. Take him at least two years.

He's not an athlete, which is a problem in a League that is getting faster paced. He is actually similar to Hibbert in a lot of ways...finesse, skilled offensive player, unathletic, not a great rebounder. Hibbert's got a couple of inches on him which could be his saving grace...Hawes has backup Center written all over him.

Spencer's much more of an athlete than Hibbert. He can get up and down the floor (at his current size/weight) and I would describe his athleticism as "fluid". He's not an athlete in the sense that Amare's an athlete, you know?

He's different than Bogut in that he has an arsenal of solid post moves. he;s a really good passer, but it's not a weapon of his like Bogut's passing was considered, personally I think that's because he's a better scorer than Bogut, so he doesn't look to pass as much.

Smaller frame than Bogut at this point, but I don;t have any idea what bogut looked like as a freshman.

Spencer's ceiling is higher than Bogut's in my opinion.

So if BK drafts Conley at 3 and Hawes at 11, does hawksquawk erupt in anger and grab the torches, or are we ok with that?

Because unless some crazyass trade comes through, this sounds more like the most reasonable safe guestimate on what we may do.

This is all pre-workout opinion of course.

I'd be fired up about that, actually. I think that's the smartest thing we can possibly do, and I don't think either is much of a reach. If they both were to stay in school they would be absolute stars next season, and would be up there in the top 5 anyway.

I like these guys a lot, and they fit our most pressing needs.

If we draft a big it should be one that is more than likely going to be an upgrade over Big Z.

I don't see upgrade in Hawes. I see equal to Zaza at best.

That's why I want to spend our first pick on a big because there is a much greater chance Noah or Yi can hold down the 5 better than Big Z

It's not the best we can do, IMO. Conley/Hawes represents the least we should expect. And even that is a big upgrade from what we have now. I don't see much difference between Hawes and Bogut, really.

The talk about Hawes makes me wonder - why is Hawes so much higher ranked than Kyle Visser? I guess since Visser only really came on this year and played on a mediocre team people are cautious there. To me, Visser looked like a quality player with similar virtues that I think could be a second round steal.

Quote:

He's already a better offensive player than Zaza.

Zaza's offense wasn't the problem.

It's his D.

That's why as much as Im infatuated with Yi, I have to wait and see if he can play D.

If your C can't play D nothing else matters.

It's just like Al Harrington. Great he scored 17 PPG, but it doesn't mean jack squat if he gives up that much and more on the other end.

That's why the Gators were better without David Lee. Sure Noah may not be as good a scorer as Lee, but at least he didn't give up a boat load of points on the other end. And that's why we were better without our highly decorated trio and a new one formed and we won two titles.

Quote:

Is he related to the late-great Hawks C Steve Hawes? I was thinking that that Hawes also went to UWashington.

Yes, he is Steve's nephew. The two Hawes brothers both went to Washington. Steve was taller (6'9") and more skilled and was a starting center for the Hawks. His brother (Spencer's dad) never played in the NBA. Spencer had both of these guys working with him since he was small - that is why he's got the skillset. When he was younger he was a guard and so he learned to handle the ball - then he hit a growth spurt, so he's now 7'.

Not sure what the non-athletic comment was based on, but I saw him leading the fast break a few times, diving for balls, and blocking shots. But is he an athlete like Smoove? ... absolutely not. But he's not a clumsy, slow, stiff either. Reminds me a little of Kevin McHale.

With time and more muscle he can be a very good center. But he'll need good coaching - he was only playing against smaller high school centers last year.

(He sure doesn't look the same age as Oden.)

• Premium Member

Quote:

So if BK drafts Conley at 3 and Hawes at 11, does hawksquawk erupt in anger and grab the torches, or are we ok with that?

Because unless some crazyass trade comes through, this sounds more like the most reasonable safe guestimate on what we may do.

Hawes won't last to 11. Both the Bulls and Kings at the very least will probably take him before #11 rolls around.

Quote:

Workout? what workout?

I think those picks would be reasonable. But I doubt Hawes will still be around at 11. If we do get him be prepared to wait for him to adjust and grow up a bit.

• Premium Member

That's a good take.

I would say that he will be a solid pro. I put him on the level just above Kaman. Hawes definite has good footwork in the post which is paramount for a big. I don't know much about his defense. What I mean by that is that I haven't seen him tested by other bigs. I would have liked to seen Georgetown vs. UWash or OSU vs. UWash. I watched him eat up Big Baby Davis but it was not as bad as the highlights show. Plus he has a considerable height advantage there.

You're right about Bogut and I told you guys after watching Bogut Struggle against Arizona (Frye), Oklahoma (Gray, Bookend), and UKentucky (all three of those 7 footers) that Bogut would not do so well in the pros.

There really haven't been that kind of test for Hawes... MOreover, I think he will be a project (If he stays in) but the kid definitely has ability and he comes from a good house...

Quote:

Because unless some crazy ass trade comes through, this sounds more like the most reasonable safe guestimate on what we may do.

I would be very satisfied with that if we cannot net a Gasol type post player in a trade (which is almost a pipe dream).

If all we got in the lottery was the #11 I would be against any "project" player at #11. Since we lucked out and got the #3 we can plug one hole (PG) and afford to be patient on a center prospect. Hawes no more ready to play in the NBA then Crittendon is now but by drafting a NBA ready guy like Conley it gives us the option to wait on a project center with upside.

The positives on Hawes is his fundamental and post moves are polished....his negatives are lack of weight and strength. These both come naturally to a 19 year old kid. It is not uncommon fora 7', 19 year old, to gain 25 pounds of muscel between the ages of 19 and 22. Tall kids almost alwayse take a little longer to grow into their body. (Unless you a physically gifted freak,in a good way, like Oden.)

Hawes has been compared to a "throw back" Kevin McHale type.

Quote:

It's not the best we can do, IMO. Conley/Hawes represents the least we should expect. And even that is a big upgrade from what we have now. I don't see much difference between Hawes and Bogut, really.

The talk about Hawes makes me wonder - why is Hawes so much higher ranked than Kyle Visser? I guess since Visser only really came on this year and played on a mediocre team people are cautious there. To me, Visser looked like a quality player with similar virtues that I think could be a second round steal.

Visser is a jump shooter and is 3 or 4 years older then Hawes. Hawes is a true, throw back center with plenty of post/pivot moves.

He has already perfected the up and under and hook shots we have been screaming for Smoove and Marvin to develop. Maybe the 19 year old and his DAD can come in and teach the Hawk's kids some desperatly needed post fundamentals.

If Hawes at #11 (2007)= Bogut at #1 (2005).... That sounds like a compliment to me.

A servicable center at #11 is very, very good. Hawes has the potential to be more than servicable.

All great centers are normally taken in the top 5 .. You will never find a Ewing, Shaq, Mourning, Hakeem, Duncan Robinson type at #11.

A center with potential at #11 is a STEAL. An absolute sure thing at Center at #11 never happens.

The centers picked at #11 are normally along the lines of a Cal Bowdler, Petro, or Swift.