• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why?

I have a serious question here....

Why are we settling for less? You don't think we can't use our pick or both of our picks to get a big time low post player? Aldridge hasn't proved he can do that. Jarret Jack coming back to Atlanta would be a nice story but we can get alot more than these rumors say.

And why are we talking about giving up any of our young nucleus? If I was BK I wouldn't make a single move involving Smoove, Chill, Marvin, or any of our young players.

So Yi Jianlin it is. He's the only guy outside the top 2 who looks like he could be a 20 ppg PF. Horford will likely be solid, and Wright is interesting, but neither guy looks like a top scorer.

We'll see how YJ does in workouts. I'm thinking he's our Pau Gasol, and that's a pretty good piece. Yes, we'll have some problems to solve, but we really need a high efficiency scorer, even if he's not a prototypical back-to-the basket PF.

Crit at the 11, and I'll be pretty happy with this draft.

Yes Yi has to be the way to go. The difference in Yi and lets say Wright,Noah or Hawes is much greater than Conley and Law, or Critt. If he does well in the pre draft camps I hope BK has enough sense to draft him at 3.

We can get a decent guard at 11 about the same quality at 3 but not the same for a big man.

I don't feel that trading the #3 for Aldridge and Jack would be settling for less in any way, shape, or form- in fact I think that'd be a hell of a deal for us (assuming of course that Aldridge's heart checks out ok).

At any rate, I don't know that that rumor holds any validity to it at all, beyond an idea for P-town to be able to move up to #3 in order to ensure themselves getting Conley to pair up with Oden. I don't know that Portland would even be willing to do such a deal, so at this point I'm taking it as nothing more than speculation and fantasy.

IMHO, the Blazers would be nuts to deal Aldridge when they will have plenty of takers for Randolph (who we don't need in Atlanta). I would love the following scenarios:

1. Yi and Crittenton - Yi can and will score. He'll have to work on rebounding, but if you've seen his videos and workouts, the thing that stands out is his shooting and off the dribble drives to the basket (AMAZING). Crit will be the real deal in a year or two.....I can deal with the roughness first.

2. Trade for Jack/Aldridge (I have doubts) - Would it take our #3/11 and Chill? If we have the opportunity we have to explore it. AGAIN, the ace in the hole is that #11 pick.

3. Wright and Crittenton? - My least favorite unless we unload Chill. Regardless of whether we think we can get Jack/Aldridge, we have to alleviate the logjam. Chill makes the most sense as Marvin still showed flashes of immense talent. Getting him to consistently use that talent is our issue.

Quote:

2. Trade for Jack/Aldridge (I have doubts) - Would it take our #3/11 and Chill?

It's possible it could take that much. I'd be all about the original rumor which had Jack/Aldridge coming to us for just the #3, but somehow that seems unrealistically one-sided in our favor.

Would I include Chill along with the #3? You'd have to at least consider it, if that's what it took. But throwing the #11 pick on top of that package seems like it'd be overkill on our part. After all, we're the ones in the position of power here. So Portland's gonna have to give if they really want to move up that badly.

To me the trade makes great sense on a variety of levels for both teams- so this being the NBA, I'm not gonna hold my breath on it ever actually happening. tongue.gif

You're exactly right RED. WE can get more if we wanted to. The problem, is that this management group, and to a certain extent, this fan base, don't want to invest a lot of money into a proven player that may not have gotten it done somewhere else. Like JJ with us, a lot of the guys that people don't want, just didn't have enough help.

Kinda makes you wonder who would be for or against trading for Kobe, if he became available? Would his contract scare people? Would his "selfish" play turn people off? Would his 31 ppg and top 5 defensive player status woo people? Would the thought of a JJ - Kobe dynamic duo woo people? It would be intersting to see how this fan base would react to Kobe rumors ( even though that isn't possible ). Or more realistically, Vince Carter rumors. I wonder how many would be against bringing in a player like Vince, if the Hawks name suddenly popped up in people interested in him?

( By the way, the NY Post reported that the Knicks would become interested in Vince, should he become a free agent. )

To win in this league, you pretty much need 2 all-star caliber players on your team. All of the playoff teams, with the exception of Orlando, Toronto and the hobbled Washington team without Arenas and Butler, possessed 2 players like that. Even Odom for the Lakers is a borderline all-star talent. ( all of these teams lost in the 1st round, by the way )

The big question for us is: Can Smoove elevate his game to all-star level by next year? If not, can Marvin do it?

If the answer to both of those questions are no, then we're a borderline playoff team at best. I'm not against not letting them prove themselves, to see if they can elevate their games. But I'm also not against acquiring a better player than both of them, to get the TEAM where we need to be by this time next year.

I am against getting lesser players to fill needs on this team, by trading one of our young players or draft picks, for guys who may not be an upgrade at the position.

Here's something just for fun. It doesn't mean a thing.

Which players would you rather have? Choose 1 each between A & B and between C & D. And tell me why?

PLAYER A's best month last season:

14.7 ppg

8 rebs

1.6 blks

0.9 stls

52% FG

73% FT

PLAYER B's best month last season:

13.0 ppg

7.8 rebs

0.4 blks

1.4 stls

52% FG

76% FT

PLAYER C's best month last season:

36 mpg

15.1 ppg

5.7 assists

3.0 rebs

1.2 stls

2.6 turnovers

48% FG

44% 3FG

89% FT

PLAYER D's best month last season:

34 mpg

16.7 ppg

7.0 assists

2.7 rebs

0.3 stls

1.8 turnovers

46% FG

35% 3FG

91% FT

I'm sick of seeing all the Aldridge talk on here. Did any of you that worship him see him in college? He was one disappointing, passionless player. He folded when it mattered. With his size, length, athleticism and skill-set he should have been dominant in the Big 12. I'm as big as Jack fan as the next person but he hardly adds value to the deal. I can almost guarantee you that Chill has more value around the league. I wouldn't trade #3 for Aldridge personally. Okafor's back problems don't scare me any more then Aldridge's frailty. I want players that WANT it. I think Jack fits that category I just don't know how much I'd be willing to give for him. He'd certainly be better than anything we have. I like the Pau Gasol talks more personally. I wouldn't mind a frontcourt of Yi, Smith and Gasol if that were possible.

I don't know about the Aldridge analogy, but I agree on most parts. However, if we can pry Jack from Portland, draft Yi and whatever else BK is going to do, I'd be more than happy with that. Portlands not giving Aldridge up unless they know something we dont', or Oden pulls a "get Conley or else" Eli Manning draft-hostage thing!

Everyone on this board would be falling over themselves about how this was a three man draft and we were lucky enough to get one of them. We need to get a star point guard or a star big man with this pick and Aldridge is that. Trading the thrid pick and Wright for Aldridge would be the move.

Jack for the 11th pick seams like a wash. I don't see him bringing more to the table than Anthony Johnson. I would rather keep that pick and get someone with a higher cieling like Critt. If they decided to throw in Sergio - then we are talking great trade.

Quote:

Everyone on this board would be falling over themselves about how this was a three man draft and we were lucky enough to get one of them. We need to get a star point guard or a star big man with this pick and Aldridge is that. Trading the thrid pick and Wright for Aldridge would be the move.

Jack for the 11th pick seams like a wash. I don't see him bringing more to the table than Anthony Johnson. I would rather keep that pick and get someone with a higher cieling like Critt. If they decided to throw in Sergio - then we are talking great trade.

Sergio!

Quote:

Who's talking about Jack for #11 ?

Quote:

I'm sick of seeing all the Aldridge talk on here. Did any of you that worship him see him in college? He was one disappointing, passionless player. He folded when it mattered. With his size, length, athleticism and skill-set he should have been dominant in the Big 12. I'm as big as Jack fan as the next person but he hardly adds value to the deal. I can almost guarantee you that Chill has more value around the league. I wouldn't trade #3 for Aldridge personally. Okafor's back problems don't scare me any more then Aldridge's frailty. I want players that WANT it. I think Jack fits that category I just don't know how much I'd be willing to give for him. He'd certainly be better than anything we have. I like the Pau Gasol talks more personally. I wouldn't mind a frontcourt of Yi, Smith and Gasol if that were possible.

We aren't wanting him because of what he did at Texas, I want because of how he played in March before getting hurt.

15 games in March: 15 ppg, 8 rebounds, 1.6 blocks, .9 steals in 30 minutes. That's impressive. He's also 6'11 and 245 meaning he could play center for us, and he has a good rep. for being a better than average interior defender. He's also very athletic and could really run with this team providing we get a damn PG.

It's not a coincidence Portland fans are EXTREMELY high on him. They wouldn't give him up for the #3 pick.

• Premium Member

Quote:

15 games in March: 15 ppg, 8 rebounds, 1.6 blocks, .9 steals in 30 minutes. That's impressive. He's also 6'11 and 245 meaning he could play center for us, and he has a good rep. for being a better than average interior defender. He's also very athletic and could really run with this team providing we get a damn PG.

It's not a coincidence Portland fans are EXTREMELY high on him. They wouldn't give him up for the #3 pick.

This is why they are not high on him;

Weaknesses: In high school he developed a reputation for being soft and not showing enough heart. Scouts still have some question marks about his toughness inside. He is vastly improved in that area, but still struggles against big and strong players on the NCAA level ... Not a physically imposing player inside, plays more a finesse game. Needs to get nastier ... Should still add an additional 10-15 pounds ... Not an out of this world leaper , but solid ... Not an extremely emotional player, which is both a positive and a negative ... Passing and ball handling are decent but can improve ... Also has been injury prone (missed half of his freshman year after a hip injury that required surgery) ... Must develop a killer instinct, more intensity ... Free throw shooting is just average ...

Quote:

Where was Jack drafted? I don't think it's a wash. I'd rather have Conley, Critt, or Law. But I do like Sergio better than Jack.

• Premium Member

Quote:

You're right, predraft weaknesses in college are much more accurate indicators of a players value than a full year in the NBA. Gotcha.. Injury prone is really the only legit criticism right now.

They did only win 32 games! So how did he help Portland so much even with the rookie of the year playing guard with him?

Quote:

Quote:

You're right, predraft weaknesses in college are much more accurate indicators of a players value than a full year in the NBA. Gotcha.. Injury prone is really the only legit criticism right now.

They did only win 32 games! So how did he help Portland so much even with the rookie of the year playing guard with him?

So you're saying you'd rather use Aldridge's predraft weaknesses as opposed to the full season he played in the NBA this year? That makes sense.