BornandDieHawks

Quote:

Report: Durant's workout raises eyebrows at camp

ESPN.com news services

Updated: June 6, 2007, 10:30 AM ET

Comment

Email

Print

Kevin Durant wowed NBA teams in his one college season at Texas. At last week's pre-draft camp? Not so much, according to a confidential draft camp report obtained by The Seattle Times.

Ford: Is Durant Slipping?

Is Kevin Durant's draft stock in danger of slipping because of his poor performance at the pre-draft camp? Chad Ford says the workout is only a small piece of the puzzle -- and that Durant's performance may have been due to lack of preparation. Blog

According to the newspaper, the report said Durant was ranked 78th out of 80 NBA prospects who worked out at Orlando, while Ohio State center Greg Oden had an impressive workout.

Oden and Durant have long been slated to go 1-2 in the NBA draft, and it's expected the Seattle SuperSonics will take Durant after the Portland Trail Blazers take Oden.

According to the Times, Durant was the only prospect at camp who failed to bench press 185 pounds, and finished behind Oden in some key drills, including the vertical leap, agility drill and three-quarter court sprint.

Oden jumped 34 inches in the vertical leap while Durant jumped 33½ inches, completed the agility drill in 11.67 seconds to Durant's 12.33 seconds, and finished the three-quarter court sprint in 3.27 seconds, ahead of Durant's 3.45 seconds, according to the report.

Durant, however, had a 7-4¾ wingspan, which ranked second among all prospects and measured a half-inch wider than Oden's wingspan.

But Durant's college coach said scouts should not question his strength just because he could not bench press 185 pounds.

"If people question his strength, they're stupid," Texas' Rick Barnes said Tuesday, according to The Dallas Morning News. "If they are looking for weight lifters to come out of Texas, that's not what we're producing. There are a lot of guys who can bench press 300 pounds in the NBA who couldn't play dead in a cowboy movie. Kevin's the best player in the draft -- period, at any position."

If, and it's a HUGE if, Seattle passed on Durant and left him at #3 for us, who gets traded and for whom, because we're definitely not going into next season with Chillz, Smoove, Durant, and Marvin who are all basically the same size.

i wonder who people would trade us for durant?

maybe we can get a legit center for durant?

law(critt)/jj/marvin/chill/center is what i wanna enter next season with, so if that center is gotten for durant or gotten for yi or gotten for wright or is horford, whatever is the best center prospect we can get for #3 is what i want

You could make an argument for either marvin or smoove. Marvin could be traded because he has not really shown he can be a supertar yet while josh had a great season and shows superstar potential. Smoove could be traded because of some of the incidents with woodson and because a lot of rumors of us trading him now or no resigning him. I say we trade marvin but I wish there was a way to keep all of them.

However Durant>Marvin or smoove

If Im Seattle and Im passing on Durant for whatever reason there is no way I do it without a trade. The Hawks would trade the #3 plus a player for Durant. But how high a price would you pay. Chill? Marvin? Smoove? Because you know it would be one of those guys... Chill - yes. Marvin - probably. Smoove - hmmm. If Durant turns into a 25, 5 and 5 star you would have to say yes as he would be better than Smoove in the long run. But it is an if... I would say probably yes and develop Marvin with Durant. Some have said he should go before Oden, so I would say do it.

• Premium Member

Well, if they were going to pass on Durant... why wouldn't they try to get something for it? I mean, they want out of Ridnour's contract. They would prolly like Marvin for his hometownism and he is a prototypical Sf. Dropping 1 spot is no different than just passing on Durant.

• Moderators

Quote:

So Durant has a wider wingspan than Oden?? Did I read that right? I guess Oden has Kevin Willis syndrome or are Durant's hands down at his knees?

More that Durant's hands are down by the knees.

Oden's wingspan was 7'4. Durants was 7'4 1/2.

Durant's is exceptional for a SF but he is also taller than your average SF as well.

seattle would never pick someone over durant for two reasons-

1- fanbase would go nuts and that will hang over the franchise for a long time if their player didnt develop

2- they could just trade down one pick to hawks and get more out of it.

If Seattle said they wanted to trade the #2 pick to us (and also wanted a player or two along with the #3 pick)...I would just call a team meeting...tell JJ and Smoove to stay home...and tell Seattle to take their pick.

It won't happen but if it did we would be crazy not to keep Durant.

You're crazy if you're suggesting we give up JJ/Smoove to get Durant.

I think landing the 3rd pick was a blessing in disguise because it will more than likely make us get a player who can play C for us instead of another SF.

Durant is severely overrated and he won't even be better than the guy Seattle just released in Rashard Lewis. In fact he will be a less athletic version of Lewis.