• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin vs. Durant.

Diesel

Honestly... I havent seen enough of Durant. But if reports from scouts are true you would have to think that he is the better prospect than Marvin. Marv is coming along but doesnt look like he will be the superstar the team hoped. I know it is early on him and he could break out this year. But if I am gambling on potential I take Durant. When scouts say in any other year Durant goes #1 and few people come around with his all around game, you have to think he is a special player. As I said though I am basing my opinion on other people's say so.

• Moderators

Durant is longer than Marvin, much more agressive than Marvin and will be a franchise player. I hope for better from Marvin in the future but I think his best reasonable outcome at this point is a prominent piece in a team rather than as a franchise player.

• Moderators

Quote:

Aggresive is not a word I would use to describe Durant. I would use Young... But not agressive.. however, i guess it depends on relation to Marvin.

He is not leap down your throat aggressive but he is very assertive offensively and has no problem being the man down the stretch of big games. Maybe offensively assertive is a better description. Either way, he has shown the ability to take games over and put the game on his back. Marvin hasn't tried doing that in college or the NBA.

Of all the things that I've read about Durant, the thing that impressed me the most was that he practiced 10 hours a day as a kid. Getting in that much time each day means waking up early as hell and getting to the gym before class and then heading back when school finishes. You rarely see that kind of drive in anyone, let alone a teenager. That kind of work ethic leads me to think that maybe the Jordan comparisons (another workaholic) aren't as far-fetched as I once thought.

I like Marvin, but I think Durant has the better future.

I didn't realize Marvin was as good a prospect till I went back and looked at his numbers.

I was about to suggest we trade him to get Thaddeus Young.

That was until I looked at Marvin's numbers which are VERY impressive.

Check out Marvin on paper:

6'7 w/o shoes

6'8 1/4 w/ shoes

228 pounds

7' 3 1/2 wingspan

9'0 reach

Averaged 28.7 points and 15.5 rebounds, five blocked shots and five assists as a senior at Bremerton High School in Bremerton, Wash. • Earned McDonald's and Parade All-America honors • Also played at the Roundball Classic in Chicago • Two-time all-state selection and the Washington Player of the Year by the Associated Press • Averaged 31 points with a high of 37 points in four postseason games last year • Had a season-high 45 points in a win over Gig Harbor and added two other 42-point games as a senior • Had 20 or more rebounds in five different games with a high of 25 • Blocked 11 shots twice as a senior and had 10 in another game • Averaged 23.9 points and 14 rebounds as a junior and was named area player of the year • Also played soccer for one season • Saw action in goal and at forward •

Hopefully he'll have a breakout season. If Marvin starts living up to his potential this team's progression will REALLY skyrocket.

IMO, I think Durant's getting a little exposed, while yes he was a beast in college, he didn't exactly play against top tier talent in the BIG 12. He's not a good defender, he has good handles and can light it up from outside, but so can martell Webster(5th pick in the 05 draft)and he hasn't really shown much. I think he'll be a superstar, but franchise player, I'm starting to have my doubts. he is VERY long if that counts for anything.

I really hope seatlle passes on durant. I know we dont have room for him but he will be one special player. Im glad we are not in seattles spot, because if they pass on him and he is great they will be looked as like the hawks in our drafts. If they take him and hes a bust everyone would say just look at his combine numbers. If he falls to us at 3 theres nothing for us to do in mind but take him and if he doesnt pan out it would not be considered a bad draft.

Wow its amazing how one combine can change someones view of a player. Durant will succeed in the NBA because he wants to be the man and wants to be a go to option. He may not be a number 1 option right away if he were with the hawks but him and Joe would make an awesome scoring tandem.

Quote:

Wow its amazing how one combine can change someones view of a player. Durant will succeed in the NBA because he wants to be the man and wants to be a go to option. He may not be a number 1 option right away if he were with the hawks but him and Joe would make an awesome scoring tandem.

I never thought Durant was this sure fire HOFer people were claiming he was.

I thought he was Rashard Lewis at best.

Quote:

I really hope seatlle passes on durant. I know we dont have room for him but he will be one special player. Im glad we are not in seattles spot, because if they pass on him and he is great they will be looked as like the hawks in our drafts. If they take him and hes a bust everyone would say just look at his combine numbers. If he falls to us at 3 theres nothing for us to do in mind but take him and if he doesnt pan out it would not be considered a bad draft.

And that's the reason Seattle immediately said they were open to trading the pick if it returns an allstar. Makes more sense with their peeking RayRay and Lewis to add a major contributor immediately OR keep DurantDurant and trade Lewis and RayRay.

Keeping the pick and passing on Durant, not going to happen.

• Admin

I said it before and got railed on, but they're very similar players. Durant was given and accepted a bigger role on his team that Marvin did, but beyond that, they're very similar players. I think in the same situation, Marvin could and would have put up similar college stats.

Durant is the flavor of the month, but will he come in and dominate the NBA? not a chance. His entrance into the NBA is going to be a lot like Marvins because he simply isn't ready, physically or mentally. He's going to need a few years to learn the game and learn how he fits into it.

Durant could easily be the bust that many here think Marvin is today becuase nobody wants to consider the fact that he's still a kid in both body and mind.